ACCURATERELOADING.COM MUZZLELOADING BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Muzzleloading Big Game Hunting    My 14yr Old Son's Maryland Trophy Sika Stag

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 14yr Old Son's Maryland Trophy Sika Stag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My son killed a very nice 6pt sika stag last Saturday evening during our muzzle loader season. For Maryland, his stag is very nice.

Range was about 45-50yds, in thick woods on the edge of a marsh. He used his T/C Omega 50cal with 2 50gr Pyrodex pellets and a Powerbelt bullet, don't recall the bullet weight.

Shot was about 10mins before legal time with sky dark early because of an incoming front.

Posted by a proud dad!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations I want too check in on doing that hunt myself

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you and your son John. Well done.

Mike

Posts: 21092 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to both you and your son!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7757 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. My cell phone is showing it's age, that's where the two grainy photos come from.

This coming weekend is our youth season and my son is dreaming big whitetail...

Johnny Reb,

The prime time for MD's sika stags is during our October either sex muzzle loader season, which is only three days. The stags are bugling and moving earlier.

There is public hunting available by permit in either the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge - adjacent to the club where my son killed his stag - or MD's Fishing Bay Wildlife Management Area. But an outfitter might be the better option for a first time hunt for these nocturnal marsh deer. If you want a recommendation I will get a couple for you.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This coming weekend is our youth season and my son is dreaming big whitetail...

Well, my son did well during our youth season. He was dreaming of a good whitetail and he connected on a pretty decent 8 pointer. The deer was a fighter, with three busted tines. Here's are a couple of photos:

He took his deer with a 20ga Mossberg 500 using Federal's 3" Trophy Copper load. Yea, not a muzzle loader trophy, but he accomplished his aim and his proud dad had to post up!

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
posted Hide Post
Atta Boy!!! Good to see another young man hunting. Good on you Dad!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome job!!

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you and your son !

Good job JPK and thanks for posting this up.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 442 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, appreciate the kind comments.

Our regular firearms opener is this Saturday, hopefully he will find success and hopefully so will I!

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
2 nice deer! That sika looks quite large in body size--what do you guess the weight was?

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tryed many times in the Deal marsh but no luck
very good sika

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again guys.

SGraves, we didn't weigh the deer but I'd guess a dressed weight of a little over 100lbs, which makes it pretty big in the body for our sika.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to both of you young men! tu2 Good to see these young folks carrying on the great American tradition. We need more of this!

Posts: 77 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 November 2005Reply With Quote