New
Find
Notify
Tools

smokeless muzzleloaders
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any of you guys have any experience with smokeless powder mzldrs? I shoot a savage and am thinking of switching to something with a different primer than the 209. I shoot 10-12 deer a year with mzlder and have had a couple issues with the 209 over the years. So looking for some differetn Ignition system and maybe sabotless as well as that always seems to be the weak point.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything you want to know and a lot you could care less about on this link.
http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
What type of 209 primer are you using?

Federal makes the hottest one I have tried.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several: Rem 700ML converted to smokeless, a custom on a Pierce action that uses LRM primers, and a NULA M209. Go to dougs like olbiker said. There are lots of things you can do to improve your ignition but the Federal is the primer to use in 209.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I shoot two Savage ML's and have used them quite a bit on whitetail. I initially did some experimenting with loads; bullets/sabots, powder, primers, etc. I have trended back to keeping it simple as all my shooting seems to be under 100 yards and accuracy/reliability has been plenty good.

Here is a link to an outfit that seems to be providing alternates to 209 primers in the Savages. I have made purchases from them in the past and they were easy to deal with. Certainly a lot of info on their website.

https://www.prbullet.com/s-kit.htm

Posts: 3275 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:
Here is a link to an outfit that seems to be providing alternates to 209 primers in the Savages. I have made purchases from them in the past and they were easy to deal with. Certainly a lot of info on their website.

https://www.prbullet.com/s-kit.htm

I just got one of those. Head spacing will need to be readjusted. I'm also having
the BP converted for use with a bushing vent, eliminating the need for the
standard vents which wear out waaay too soon.

If you want to go sabotless, the best way is to get a .45 barrel. As suggested
above, you can get all info needed over at Doug's Msg Boards, but we'll
probably break you! shocker

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote