Find
Notify
Tools

T/C Omega
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Greets fm CO
I have about talked myself out of buying a Remington Genesis since I've found out it is really a Traditions. Did sort of like the fact I had a tremendous deal on one w/stainless barrel. (Well over $100. off on a brand new one)
Have almost decided to get a blued/black stock version of the Omega. Really could afford a stainless version but I just have to stop somewhere. I also like being able to afford 3 hunting trips back to TN every year plus a "few" trips here in CO.

1. I suppose the blued version would shoot just as well as others???
2. How do you like your Omegas?
3. What accuracy do you get with them?
4. What powder/bullet combos do you use with it?

Thanks Ray

Posts: 106 | Location: Aurora, CO | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Croberts
posted Hide Post
I just recently purchased a blued Omega with a black composite thumbhole stock. Mine ran right at 300.00. I put one of the Nikon OMega 250 BDC scopes on it. I really like the gun and scope combo. It seems to shoot good and the reticle seems to be everything they advertised it to be. I shoot the 250 gr TC Shockwave bullets over 250 gr of 777. It cleans good with triple 7 and shots good too.
Get what will make you happy though.
CRoberts

A man should never stop learning, so a man should never stop asking questions

Posts: 164 | Location: Abingdon Va. | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
250 gr of 777.

Hope that's a typo Eeker

I bet there's some recoil behing that baby! Big Grin

Did you mean 150 grns Croberts? You using three pellets? I've been having pretty good luck w/ a 2 pellet 777 load and the 250 SST/SWs.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bad thing about the Omega is the stupidly sized trigger guard that makes it near impossible to use while wearing heavy gloves........something to think about if you ever expect to hunt with the weapon in cold weather.

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Croberts
posted Hide Post
Yes that is indeed 150 grs of powder. I would hate to think what would happen with 250.

A man should never stop learning, so a man should never stop asking questions

Posts: 164 | Location: Abingdon Va. | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In colorado you might want to consider a different gun. The omega is a sabot shooter and not the best for conical bullets. If I lived and hunted in Colorado I would consider getting a conical shooting rifle like the white from Utah. It shoots heavy conicals better than any other rifle. I have an Omega and in Arizona can use sabots so it is good for me. Not the best choice for a Colorado hunter however.

Posts: 207 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
FredX just delivered a TC Omega X7 that will hit the field here in San Diego County, California in December for a special late mule deer hunt. It is either sex, so my wife and I should get some shooting. This rifle is stainless and brown laminated wood, and is very attractive. Fit and finish are both excellent, and it shoulders very nicely. The fiber optic bead shows up well in the aperture too.

We aren't permitted scopes by our F&G fascists, but these sights should work well enough. Scopes are the only technology prohibited for the ML hunt, all the inline, sabots and whatnots are allowed.

I am looking forward to shooting some of these zippy BP light bullet and sabot combinations after shooting only conicals in Colorado.

We won't quite be wearing shorts, t-shirts and sandals for this hunt, but it will likely be very mild. Wink

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoot:
Greets fm CO
I have about talked myself out of buying a Remington Genesis since I've found out it is really a Traditions. .... Ray

What makes you think it's made by Traditions ??? I've examined a Genesis and a Traditions Yukon side by side and they are not similar at all. The quality of the Remington was far superior to the Traditions. Just curious where you got your info ????

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My info came from the barrel of the Remington It says "Imported BY Traditions" Also Randy Wakeman says so. I wound up buying a Knight Revolution. Ray

Ray, Alias newtoot OR is it Vice Versa?

Posts: 106 | Location: Aurora, CO | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MLKeith:
In colorado you might want to consider a different gun. The omega is a sabot shooter and not the best for conical bullets. If I lived and hunted in Colorado I would consider getting a conical shooting rifle like the white from Utah. It shoots heavy conicals better than any other rifle. I have an Omega and in Arizona can use sabots so it is good for me. Not the best choice for a Colorado hunter however.

Power belts are legal in Colorado and shoot well out of the Omega.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoot:
My info came from the barrel of the Remington It says "Imported BY Traditions" Also Randy Wakeman says so. I wound up buying a Knight Revolution. Ray

Actually, Randy Wakeman is wrong !!! Traditions makes nothing, they are only an importer. While it is true that they are made by the same Spanish firearms maker, the two guns are not at all alike and are made to different quality standards. I have handled both of them side by side and can attest to that fact. I just wanted to set the facts straight on these two different firearms.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, Randy Wakeman is wrong !!! Traditions makes nothing, they are only an importer. While it is true that they are made by the same Spanish firearms maker, the two guns are not at all alike and are made to different quality standards. I have handled both of them side by side and can attest to that fact. I just wanted to set the facts straight on these two different firearms.

Well, you sure haven't. They are made by Ardesa S.A., not directly imported by Remington at all, clearly stamped "Imported by Traditions" stamped right on the gun, and they are made to NO different quality standards at all.

They are the "Bic" lighters of muzzleloaders.

The crummy non-adjustable trigger on the Genesis sets a new low for a factory trigger, and the flip-up back is good for selling high scope bases-- little else.

Remington has a technical term for the barrel material: they call it "steel."

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RandyWakeman:
.... They are made by Ardesa S.A., not directly imported by Remington at all, clearly stamped "Imported by Traditions" stamped right on the gun, and they are made to NO different quality standards at all.

They are the "Bic" lighters of muzzleloaders.

The crummy non-adjustable trigger on the Genesis sets a new low for a factory trigger, and the flip-up back is good for selling high scope bases-- little else.

Remington has a technical term for the barrel material: they call it "steel."

Randy,

Thanks for confirming what I stated about them being made in Spain and imported by Traditions. Since I didn't fire either, I can't comment on the functionality, can you ??? I will say that visually, the Remington has a higher quality blueing and the stock is better made. The entire Genesis rifle "looks" to be head and shoulders above the Yukon. As I said, I can't comment on the quality of function.

one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
The original poster was correct all along, it is a "Traditions," and purchased from Traditions by Remington.

Neither is comparable to an Omega in any way-- the Omega is both a smart buy, a superior rifle, and the subject of this thread.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How will the Omega handle powerbullets? I have heard that its mainly for sabots.

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Switchback:
How will the Omega handle powerbullets? I have heard that its mainly for sabots.

I have shot them in my Encore with great results. A buddy also shoot them in his Omega with very good accuracy.

Your best bet is to get some and go shot them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Switchback,
Have shot Powerbelts successfully in the T/C Omega-mine is in stainless- but accuracy is not quite up to what I can achieve with a sabot and a Barnes SpitFire MZ or Hornady XTP.
With a little care in selecting the right powder volume and a nice rest, I can usually drop 3 to 5 inside one inch at 100 yards. As to effectiveness of the Powerbelt on game I am not knowledgable as all the deer I have taken (4) with the Omega have been with a Barnes MZ bullet in 300 gr. By the way, have not yet had one take another step after being shot. Awesome performance.
Back to the PowerBelts, usually the best I can get in terms of accuracy is in the 2 inch range- good but not wuite what is attainable with other bullets.
My 2 cents.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I have been shooting a Rem. 700 m/l, with powerbelts, and only getting 4" groups. So I am looking into buying a new m/l. What do you all think of the .52 Knight is putting out.

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I would not buy another Knight, I have owned one and I will never go back to them. I have a couple of Encores that shoot like a dream and the Omega is a better choice over the Knight in my opinion. Plus the .52 cal is such an odd ball size. Stick with a 50 cal.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally got my Omega to shoot PB's. I tried 245's - 405's, and by far the 348gr HP over two shocky gold pellets shot the best. A thumbnail for 4 shots at 50 yds. Suprised the heck out of me as I always used 250gr XTPs. Also, I've heard about mixed results from Shocky Gold so I guess I lucked out.
I have owned Knights, and they have great customer service, but T/C is pretty hard to beat.

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is The Shockeys gold powder alot hotter than 777. Does anyone have any exprince with CVA Optima. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Switchback:I have no clue as to the power difference. I will say that I had no crud ring and the cleanup was very easy.
I hunt deep woods and so I am mostly interested in throwing a heavy slug out to 100yds max. I am also interested in a quick followup. I may have found the combo in my Omega.
Interestingly another fellow at the range recommended 150gr Shocky Gold with a 223gr PB. He claimed 1" moa at 100yds. I tried it and it was terrible. The 405 PB also grouped well for me. I guess each MZ is a law untoo itself.

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Omega is close to 1 1/2" @ 100 w/ 245 powerbelts and 777. Lightweight and accurate, easy to clean.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I am fairly new to ML'ing, but went with the Omega and lover it. I shoot 245 grn sabots over 130 grns 777. Very good accuracy, I would even venture it to be a 200 yard gun.

I have recntly held the TC X7 and boy does it shoulder nicely. That might be my second ML

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2575 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a new Omega with thumbhole stock, stainless, for $249.00. Is this a good price? The onlt other place I have to compare is Redhead.

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Switchback:
I found a new Omega with thumbhole stock, stainless, for $249.00. Is this a good price? The onlt other place I have to compare is Redhead.

That is a great price.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I own and love my Encore, but I sure wish Omegas were for sale when I bought my Encore because I would have with out any doubt bought it insted. Why you ask? Because IMHO as strictly dedicated MLs go the Omege is a better design, its capable of faster speeds, and its a lot cheaper. I have shot enough of them to be of this opinion. I always recammend if asked the Omega over the Encore for these reasons. Dont get me wrong the Encore is a great ML, I just think the Omega is an over all better buy.

I was at my favorite range when a shooter I knew from the range in the stall next to me asked me to shoot his brand new SST/cammo Omega as he wanted my opinion. He was shooting 110grns of 3F-777 and Shock Waves with the suplied sabot. I was left totally speachless when my first three shots formed a 100yrd group I measured with calipers at 1.32". I will never forget that.

Although I know this is a thread about the Omega, if asked whats the best production ML out there IMHO, I now reply the Savage 10-ML-II, as I have bought one. For the money the 10ML-II can not be beat.

T

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
switchback
you should buy a few of them for that price and make soem money.

The basic synthetic, blue version is in that price range. the thumbhole stainless is a $400 gun

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2575 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Stainless Omega Tri-colored Laminated Thumbhole (Special Order), it sure is a looker and now a shooter. I have tried a bazillion bullets thru it with 100gr 777. Even the latest Platinum powerbelts. I did use borebutter because someones post said it helped their Omega groups, it DID. Now a 5 shot group at 50yds all touch in less than 1" group w/ 245gr Hollow PB. The New Platinum bullets were the WORST group.

I only use powerbelts because of follow up shots. All other sabots that I have tried all expand the wad the more you push on them hence make it harder to load in the filed w/ dirty barrel and a deer looking for you! This winter I managed to get off 4 shots at 2 deer and got them both (all hit but it was last 10 minutes of light and wanted them down on the spot) I was sure glad I did not have to fight to get a bullet/wad combo down the barrel as deer were nearby.

Posts: 132 | Location: MA | Registered: 30 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have an Omega with stainless barrel and laminate stock...love it! Have taken several animals with it including a nice Cow Elk during CO ML season last fall. Am shooting 80 gr. of real BP with a 460 gr No Excuses conical. Get 2-3 inch groups at 100 yds...works for me! Don't let anyone tell you that the Omega won't shoot full size conicals. No powerbelts for me...but that's another story!

posted Hide Post
Switchback,
Buy as many as you can and sell them for at least $100 profit!
My story: I've owned a Knight DISC rifle for quite a while, since they came out new. Always hated cleaning it, especially around the bolt area. Well, I went on a muzzleloader hunt to Nebraska last year and was sighting in my friend's Omega (basic syn stock and ss barrel). One Saturday I shot my DISC rifle almost 40 times trying to get the stupid Nikon Buckmasters 1x scope sighted in, finally took it back off and went back to my fiber optic sights. Not bad at 75 yards. Shot my friend's Omega 4 times and had a less than 2" group at 75 yards with open sights, 240 grain XTP over 2-50 grain 777 pellets. I went home and spent an hour cleaning my DISC rifle and 10 minutes cleaning his Omega.
Needless to say, Dick's Sporting Goods was running a special. I went in on Monday (2 days later) and picked up a camo thumbhole stock ss Omega for $400. I have not looked back.
120 grains Shockey's Gold OR 777 loose behind a 250 grain Knight (Barnes) TMZ is less than 1" at 75 yards in my NEW Omega. putting a scope on this year!!!!
For the money, I don't think you can beat it. Would expect the price to go down if T/C pushes their new gun...

Still waiting for Peyton to win the big one...

Posts: 7 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: 09 October 2006Reply With Quote