New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone out there have any thoughts, opinions, etc. on the Lyman Great Plains Hunter rifle?

I've read mostly good reviews from what I was able to find doing a web search but couldn't find anything related to what I was looking for.

Any issues with soft metal parts?
I've dealt with a lot of the Italian clone cowboy guns and the internals are about as hard as a tub of butter.

Are there any dislikes? Is there anything that should or could be done to them that would make them better?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve had mine for 10 years. Had a TC Renegade for 23 years prior. Renegade has a short barrel that works great in northeast treestands and brush but I wanted something longer for western hunts. Bought the GPH flintlock. The trigger was very bad, had a long heavy pull but the worst was that it was like pressure between 2 gritty surfaces. It would drag and snag a few times before firing. I took it apart and ground the sear shorter and polished the mating surfaces. That made the trigger VERY nice, similar to what the renegade always had.

I didn’t like the U shaped hooked metal buttplate. It didn’t fit into my shoulder with both points spearing me on recoil, had no interest in moving it out to my upper arm, would snag coming up on heavy winter clothing (our season here starts Dec 26), after a couple years the steel started to rust from being gouged from resting it on rocks. So I cut off the metal buttplate and put on a recoil pad, inlaid a piece of Australian lacewood where the buttplate came up over the top of the stock.

The original finish was very dark and greasy. It would leave a pile of it on the end of the barrel when the ramrod scraped going down and you could scrape it off with your fingernail. Cutting off the buttplate required refinishing. Was shocked at the hidden beauty of the wood underneath.

Because of old eyes I put the Lyman 57 peep sight on. HIGHLY recommend this because the extra sight radius really improves accuracy.

So with some customizing I like it a WHOLE lot. It is very accurate with a number of full bore conicals, I like the powerbelts best.

Not sure how many deer I’ve taken with it, but a fair number.

Posts: 178 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one and took a hog with it in Cal. The only thing I did to it is scrape off the original plastic stock finish, and apply an oil finish. I lucked out and got a real nice stock.
I shoot the Hornady .50 Cal, 385 grain, Great Plains bullet with black powder.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
Good looking photos Tundragriz

I was wondering how that hooked stock would feel and how it would work with a coat.
I'm going to try a custom rifle that belongs to a friend with a similar stock to see how that works out.

I've noticed with some older Stevens' and other guns that once the finish is removed there's a decent looking piece of wood hiding under it.
That's a nice looking stock Tudragriz.

Is that the rod that came with the rifle?
Ever have any issues with a wood rod?
I'd rather have one that's not wood. I don't like having something that has the potential to break while loading.

Are the Powerbelts easy to load?
I have some Hornady SST's that I use in my Encore and they were a total pain in the butt.
After some research I went to a Harvester sabot. I can use the rod that came with the rifle to load instead of one with a T handle or oversized range handle.
I'd like to use the same bullets with the Lyman should I decide to go with one.

What weight are those Powerbelts and how many grains of powder? FF or FFF?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine has a hickory rod and it's not going to break though on the range I use a Dewey rod.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have only used the original ramrod while hunting. I have a synthetic I take as a backup on trips and I use it as a 2nd rod at the range, put a bullet seater on the original so I can judge powder and bullet seating and a cleaning jag on the other.

The powerbelts are extremely easy to load, you would never break a rod. They are sized slightly underbore so the lead is not engraved while loading, only the thin plastic skirt.

Used powerbelts for maybe 20 years, haven't used all the flavors but a lot of them. The primary issue with powerbelts is not to overdrive them with more than 100gr. Higher velocity results in over expansion and may not penetrate adequately. But under 100 with the right bullet you’ll penetrate any animal out to about 150yd.

I settled on the Platinum version for most everything. If I wasn’t shooting anything larger than deer I might only use the 300 Platinum . But I have pretty much gone to only the 338 because of its higher BC. For practical hunting purposes both shoot to the same point of impact with the same accuracy, I don’t change the sights or powder charge between them. If you want to get near 200yds seems the 338 is a better choice. With either of them I use 90gr Triple 7 FFF. For moose and if I ever go after bison or big bear I use the 444 flat point. It is accurate enough to 150 but not quite up to the platinum or any of the aero tips.

In the above pics:
moose, 444FP, 80 gr T7 3F 1253fps, 114 yds, penetrated both shoulder bones found under off side, 357 gr
elk, 338 Plat, 90 gr T7 3F 1630fps, about 60 yds, penetrated near shoulder found under far side, 319 gr
javelina, 300 Plat, 90 T7 3F 1650fps, about 75 yds, pass through with nice big hole
deer, 348 AT (gold), 90 T7 3F 1553fps, 103 yards, straight on, 168 gr

I have old eyes but my normal accuracy expectations are about an inch at 50, about 3” at 100, and about 8” at 150. That’s within 4” of aim at 150 and a kill on any big game. With the platinums I zero at 100, highest arc is +1.5” at 50, and -6 at 150.

Normal 50 yd groups

Normal 100 yd group

Posts: 178 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 54 caliber round ball Great Plains Rifle. It is my fifth flinter. The rest are gone. Mine is pretty much original, other than scratches. I don't' have a problem with the butt. Of course with round balls, you don't need a tin cup of powder. Mine is accurate, reliable and nicely balanced for me. While I love the look and feel of the PA style rifles, I just can't see the sights. I really like the fiber optic sights. All I ever shot with it are deer and squirrels.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What twist are you looking for.

I have 1-48 on my Lyman Trade Rifle.
I'm now looking at 1-32 on the The Great Plains Hunter model in 1-32 and the 17AEU (57 GPR) receiver sights mounted from the factory.
I love the little Trade Rifle for brush but would like to go to a set trigger set up.

Posts: 2662 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Race, I sent you a PM a little bit ago. I will also say that the GPH is a shooter. A friend of mine got one on my recommendation and is shooting my Lee paper patched bullets. At first we didn't know if the lyman would like these bullets or not. We found out that it likes them very much.
This was the first three shots from the rifle at 50 yards. The load was 80 gr of Pyrodex P an over powder wad and a 458 gr paper patched Lee 500 S&W bullet.

This next group was the same load at 100 yards. His rifle has the lyman peep and globe sight. He is also using a Lee Shavers BPCR insert.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is good shooting. What is the twist on your rifle?

Posts: 2662 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He's using the Lyman great plains hunter with a 1-32 twist

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got my Great Plains Hunter model 1-32 in today.
Wood to metal is good. The stock has a bit more drop to it then was expecting. The sights are very nice. The two wedges on the barrel look to be not long enough. One may need a little fitting work.
Got some Hornady SST-ML 50 CAL. SABOTS W/ 45 CAL. 250 gr. and 50 cal. TC Maxi hunter 350 gr.
Hornady 50 cal. 460 gr. and Hornady 50cal. 45-300 XTP MAG to see how they shoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After shooting the Lyman Great Plans Hunter .50 cal. today. I noticed the nipple needs to be cleaned out each shot. The hole is very tiny.
I do not have to do this with my Lyman Trade rifle.
I found the nipples for these guns is 6x.75.
Who makes a better after market nipple?

Anyone used a Ampco Nipple - 6mm X .75?
Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with these guys.

http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/default.asp

Lot of TC stuff but they seem to know their way around muzzleloaders.

Or try here.

http://www.prbullet.com/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried an Ampco nipple. I've been using a Hot Shot nipple in my Hawken for the past decade. Works great.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm ordering a few hotshot nipples. I just counter sunk the hole in my existing nipple to see if it would help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've killed more deer with my Lyman flintlock .54 roundballer than any other rifle I own. Accurate as hell, only problem is I'm having some problems with the sights as my eyes aren't what they use to be. Still up close I can make do.

Thinking about getting an L&R lock for it, not sure why, the current lock works pretty well.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had Lyman GP in 54 cal. for 15 years. I cut the barrel off to 24 inches on a whelm, that didn't work out so well. I rebarreled in a rifle slug twist barrel, as opposed to the round balls 1x60, with a 28 inch 54 cal. barrel from Tony Barnes's stock of barrels and it shoots an inch at 50 yards every time..Its my only muzzle loader and I'm not particularly into muzzle loading, but we have some nice ML hunts in Idaho so if I don't draw my desired hunts the muzzle loading hunts offer a lot of opportunities.I recently purchased two 58 cal muzzle loaders because from observation of some of my hunters an elk inside 100 yards goes down in a hurry with that big 58 caliber with either ball or bullet, and if he makes any tracks he sure leaves a lot of blood behind.

I chose the Lyman GP because it looks like a ML is supposed to look..I did add a Lyman receiver sight as some suggest in the above posts, it's a very good improvement on a any irons sighted hunting rifle. Combine it with a NECG gold faced partridge (post) sight. Buy the highest NECG and file it to zero and that will keep the receiver sight down low on the gun.

Idaho is a "primitive hunt", no monkey business, no scopes, no protected caps, no rifle primers, must load from the front end..no break opens or bolt actions...I think that's as it should be..Modern muzzle loaders are no more than a modern single shot, they fire every time shoot nice small groups, NOt that much different than a Ruger no. 1....We get rut hunts and that's a positive for elk for the most part if the gun fires!! Smiler

So now Im going to hunt elk with the 58s, a Buffalo hunter carbine and a Italian Hawkin..Just got the mL bug again, its been too long.. tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41796 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A cousin bought one in summer of 1981. He's still shooting/hunting with it. Killed a lot of game with it, and won some shooting matches with it back in the Rondyvoo days.

They seem to be a well made rifle.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry:

I bought a cheap CVA some yrs ago and shooting the BP match's at the range I had a hard time seeing the front sight. Someone told me to paint it white. I went from one of the poorest shooters out of 18 to third. That worked out so well for me I bought a set of Williams 3/32" white front spot and adjustable rear. Sure did the trick for me. Try some white or yellow paint first to see if it helps before spending the bucks on something that might not work. Seems like these Williams cost me about $20, maybe 12-14yrs ago.

Good luck.

GRIZ: damned fine looking animals you have there!
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5937 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks George, how tall is the sight you purchase?

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry:
Gosh, don't know without measuring. Just a fair guess it's around 3/8" maybe, doubt over half inch. They're a pair though. Got them at least 15yrs ago. I haven't shot it in five yrs at least, and nothing else since Feb '12 due to all these health problems. Just haven't felt like going even as bad as I've wanted to.

These are a SPOT sight, so height can't be changed.

Another thing you need to know about my rifle. It has a plastic POS Classic style stock. So it's nothing like what you've got. Height of these wouldn't matter to your needs I'm sure.
Good luck,

Side note to RAY A. Check your post, which is it, .54 or .58 cal? Typo I'm sure. Thanks.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5937 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its a 54, a typo. thanks for the heads up..I looking for a Navy Arms Zouave Hunter in 58 cal. and got mixed up I guess..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41796 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing I pretty sure of, MY GP with the rifle twist for those big heavy bullets, is a much improved killer on elk than it was with the round ball..I sure have observed some awesome blood trails, and they are much shorter. Ive only shot one elk with ML, Im just going on what other hunters in our camps have done, I lend it out a great deal also and nobodys ever lost and elk yet and about 90% are DRT elk. and all but a couple went passed 20 to 25 yards since about 1980 or there abouts. I love the 54 caliber, but from what Ive seen the last couple of years the 58 is hell on earth with elk...they hit the dirt at the shot..That's why Im looking for a Navy Arms 58 cal. Zouave buffalo hunter carbine.

Since I posted this I have purchased two 58s, Im on the way.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im really rusty on black powder as Ive not used the MLs much, but Ive witnessed about as many ML kills as anyone, I shot an elk and a deer with my 54 GP gun some years ago, best I recall, maybe two elk. Im just now getting back into MLing, its a challenge trying to catch up with whos who and whats what! Smiler

About all I can say about my Great Plains Lyman 54 is its accurate with every load I tried in it, with ball, and apparently shoots well with Minnie bullets as I lent it to guy and he hunted elk with it and tried to buy it, said it shot minnis real well?? long time back, don't remember what his load was..duh! on my part.

Additionally as of 3-18-17, I have two barrels for my 54 Lyman Plains Game, one designated on the barrel as a Lyman Plains game "rifle" indicating a RB barrel, I cut it off to 24 inches way back when, found it today amongst my junk in the shop..The present barrel on the gun is a Lyman Plains game "hunter" barrel with a 1x32 bullet twist..I think its 28 inches as its original..so I have the option of a RB or bullet. pretty handy..

I also acquired two 58 caliber rifles, A Navy Arms Hawkin and a Navy arms buffalo hunter carbine, both built by Investarms. About to get all the stuff needed to start shooting, its been complicated, like starting all over and learning to talk. shocker

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Great plains Rifle and the Great Plains Hunter are twisted differently...Rifle designates a 1x60 twist for round ball...Hunter designates a conical bullet and its twisted 1x32.. I have both barrels for my Great Plains gun..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I really want to add a Great plains rifle to my collection of Muzzleloaders. I have a T/C Hawken in .58, and a Lefthand .54 Renegade.

I was thinking a .54 with the 1n60 twist for round ball....but I may get the 1n32 to shoot conicals. For elk and pigs

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My old great plains 54 has a 160 twist for ball and I have an extra Great Plains barrel for the conical bullets, I think its 1x32 or maybe 1x 48, its the Great Plains rifle barrel..Its easy to just switch barrels..Pretty handy.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120