New
Find
Notify
Tools

What loads for elk
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Going on my first muzzleloader elk hunt in Colorado this fall. I have a Remington 700ML in .54 cal. Wondering what conicals, powder, and charges you guys would recommend. Thanks

Posts: 90 | Location: Mishawaka, In. | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using this rifle and caliber combination for nearly 20 years. After doing ALOT of load development for it, my "go to" load is 110 grains (by volume) of pyrodex "P" powder, RWS #11 caps, hot shot nipple, and Hornady 425 grain great plains bullets. Here in Idaho we have to use a full bore diameter bullet. If you don't, replace the bullet with a .452"/350 grain wide/flat nose hard cast bullet, in a red harvester high pressure sabot. It will shoot the length of an elk....the Hornady is soft and tends to flatten out, especially up close. Keep those in the ribs, and off the shoulder of a big bodied elk.

I have used this combination in some of the most horrible weather you could imagine. Put a little tape over the muzzle, and leave the gun in the cold at night, and you shouldn't have any problems with hang or misfires...we don't.

Me and 4 of my hunting buddies use this gun and load combination with great results. We've killed many whitetails, quite a few elk, and many mule deer with this load. Expect 2" groups at 100 yards, off the bench, on a calm day. My biggest bodied bull was killed at 135 yards with the Hornady bullet. Shot through the top of the heart, he took 3 or 4 steps backwards, stood for about 15 seconds, and tipped over. It's a hammer on game and pretty "lively" on the bench!

We all also use XS ghost rings sights. No scopes allowed here.

The RWS caps are by far the hottest caps I've found. They are also almost waterproof. I've put them in a cup of water, overnight, and 2 of the 3 popped, the next day.

Anyhow, thats what works for us, and it should work well for you too. Andy#3

Posts: 108 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 29 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

Thanks for the detailed response, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I have the Hornady great plains 425 bullets already and I also have a #11 cap on the rifle. I have taken many Indiana whitetails with this rifle but this is the first time for this retired farmer to go for elk. Also no scopes in Colorado, I am going to check out the ghost rings.

Thanks again.

Mike

Posts: 90 | Location: Mishawaka, In. | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, You are welcome. That info took me 3-5 years to fine tune! Big Grin

The reason I went with the hot shot nipple, is it has 2 little vent holes in it. It typically blows the remains of the cap off and saves on trying to pry it out. Dont' think it matters for accuracy...but with these things, you never know!

Enjoy your hunt, hope you do well!

Andy#3

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

I am aware that you had a lot of experimentation to come up with this information. I already ordered the hot shot nipple, ghost ring site, and the RWS caps. I am the type of guy that wants to have the best setup possible when I head out. Way to many things out of your control when hunting. When the moment of truth comes I don't want to be worrying about something you can control like your gun. Thanks again for letting me in on your hard earned information. If I connect, I will send you a picture. Big Grin

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy is spot on, and based on experience..All I can add is Ive seen better results with the 58 caliber on elk, and much better blood trails..Ive witnessed a lot more elk kills with muzzle loaders than Ive killed with them..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate your input Ray. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never shot anything with BP yet.
So sure not any expert on the subject.

A buddy said he shot a good sized bull with a .50 cal RB. Full penetration, hell of a blood trail. Don't recall if he said the range.

You sure need to contact: CPW.com and get a copy of the regs mailed to you. Whole bunch of no no's out here on ML's.

No sabots, scopes, or inlines it seems. Full bore size slugs or RB's. Never seen a ghost ring so not sure what you're talking about. IF it's some form of iron's, that fine. Anything resembling glass you can't use it.

What's Ray know about CO and ML regs?

Hope you get one. Just know ahead of time the odd's are against you even seeing elk a lot of years.

Where you going? What unit?

PRACTICE!!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply George. I am aware that it is not a slam dunk affair. I have a few strikes against me from the start being a slightly overweight old man from Indiana. Lol The way I look at it is If I get one it's all gravy, just want to have all my ducks in a row so I won't be blaming my rifle. I have researched the regulations in Colorado, ghost rings are like a fancy peep sight using fiber optics, no battery. I am going on a semi guided hunt in unit 521. the closest town to it is Somerset. Thanks again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andy#3:
I've been using this rifle and caliber combination for nearly 20 years. After doing ALOT of load development for it, my "go to" load is 110 grains (by volume) of pyrodex "P" powder, RWS #11 caps, hot shot nipple, and Hornady 425 grain great plains bullets. Here in Idaho we have to use a full bore diameter bullet. If you don't, replace the bullet with a .452"/350 grain wide/flat nose hard cast bullet, in a red harvester high pressure sabot. It will shoot the length of an elk....the Hornady is soft and tends to flatten out, especially up close. Keep those in the ribs, and off the shoulder of a big bodied elk.

I have used this combination in some of the most horrible weather you could imagine. Put a little tape over the muzzle, and leave the gun in the cold at night, and you shouldn't have any problems with hang or misfires...we don't.

Me and 4 of my hunting buddies use this gun and load combination with great results. We've killed many whitetails, quite a few elk, and many mule deer with this load. Expect 2" groups at 100 yards, off the bench, on a calm day. My biggest bodied bull was killed at 135 yards with the Hornady bullet. Shot through the top of the heart, he took 3 or 4 steps backwards, stood for about 15 seconds, and tipped over. It's a hammer on game and pretty "lively" on the bench!

We all also use XS ghost rings sights. No scopes allowed here.

The RWS caps are by far the hottest caps I've found. They are also almost waterproof. I've put them in a cup of water, overnight, and 2 of the 3 popped, the next day.

Anyhow, thats what works for us, and it should work well for you too. Andy#3

Thanks again Andy the load worked like a charm, dropped him facefirst right in the pond.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a better picture of him a small 6X7

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Andy is spot on, and based on experience..All I can add is Ive seen better results with the 58 caliber on elk, and much better blood trails..Ive witnessed a lot more elk kills with muzzle loaders than Ive killed with them..

Unfortunately, .58 caliber is not easy to find. .54 is pretty easy.
For what it is worth, I shoot a Remington 700 in .54 with a 209 primer conversion. I shoot 2 pyrodex pellets and a .50 caliber Barnes X at 325 grains. I have never shot an elk with it, but am confident it would work.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Mike! So happy the load worked as well for you, as it does for us. Andy3

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot dog! I'm tickled for you.
How about some details on the hunt now?

Sure has been hot this season. Am sure you had plenty of help getting it taken care of right away.

Bulls that size this early in the fall sure are fine eating. Much better than later on after the rut effects them.

Sure don't look like you're very fat though!!

Buckeye: Can't use that load in CO. That's the same as a sabot, no doing's out here. Has to be bore sized single slug. Don't know about where you hunt as to what's legal or not. IF it is there, use it.

Just wait til I tell Lynn you got one and he didn't. He hunted by Saguache, don't know what unit that is. He could only hunt the first weekend.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCHALL53:
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Hot dog! I'm tickled for you.
How about some details on the hunt now?

Sure has been hot this season. Am sure you had plenty of help getting it taken care of right away.

Bulls that size this early in the fall sure are fine eating. Much better than later on after the rut effects them.

Sure don't look like you're very fat though!!

Buckeye: Can't use that load in CO. That's the same as a sabot, no doing's out here. Has to be bore sized single slug. Don't know about where you hunt as to what's legal or not. IF it is there, use it.

Just wait til I tell Lynn you got one and he didn't. He hunted by Saguache, don't know what unit that is. He could only hunt the first weekend.

George

Hear you go George,

A totally unbelievable hunt. It was litterally over for me before it begain. We got to camp on the afternoon before our hunt was to start. The outfitter asked us if we wanted to go out and sit that night and of course we jumped at the chance. They have 28 stands over water holes and wallows. They put me in a tripod stand over looking a pond at 4:30. At 6:20 I had a doe and fawn muley come in to water. Around 7:00 my bull came running in and ran around the end of the pond came back in to drink facing right at me at 60 yds. When he raised his head I nailed him right at the base of his neck. He dropped like a rock with the front half of his body in the pond.

I just sat there and couldn't beleive what had just happened. At 7:30 I had an even bigger bull come to water 10 yds. from my bull and wasn't bothered in the least. He was there for 5 minutes and left undisturbed. I got down out of the stand at dark and walked over to my bull and waited for the guide to pick me up. That is when I heard something back down in the pond. This time it was a huge bull moose. I didn't want to surprise him so I yelled at him. It didn't scare him one bit, he just waded out in the pond and fed. Made for a tense time while I waited in the dark.

When we got my elk back to camp, the hunters from the previous week I don't think were too pleased with me since several hadn't had any shot opportunities and I could have had 2. One of my buddies had also hit a smaller bull with his crossbow that night. We went out the next morning and tracked him for at least 800 yds before we lost the blood, figured his expandable didn't open.

My other buddy shot a big cow the next morning with his crossbow, she only went 100 yds. The buddy that lost the bull never had another chance and came home empty.

The other hunters in camp killed a black bear, a 5pt bull, and 2 cows. They also hit 3 other cows that were lost, one a shoulder hit that didn't penetrate, a frontal shot that went between the shoulder and rib cage, And another expandable that didn't open.

This is a perfect hunt for an old fart like me. You can hunt anyway you want to. Stand hunt or hike and call if you are physically able. The elevation according to my GPS where I killed my bull was 8456 ft.

The weather was was horrible for the rut which should have been going strong, 85 degrees plus during the day and dropping into the 50's at night. I only heard one bugle the whole time I was there.

All in all it was a fantastic trip. I went out with my buddies and tried to video for them, went out blood trailling all the animals that were hit, or stayed in camp and just looked at the mountains. Met a bunch of great people.

I was the only one hunting with a muzzleloader, everyone else was bow or crossbow.

My bull was not a monster but carried a 6X7 rack.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Excellent bull and story! That sounds like a great time. Which part of Colorado was the hunt? I've hunted 14 days for elk in Northwest Colorado on public land and have yet to punch a tag.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted near Somerset, Co.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Schall:

just got back to this.
Quite a story, glad you had a great time
and got your bull.

Sounds like damned poor shooting by the stick n string guys. Whole lotta reasons to use a gun
of some kind.

You coming back one day?

That's almost low country for elk. We're 4700' here in Pueblo. I had intended to tell you to make sure you stop for a day or two at mid altitude like here before you went to the high country. Quite a few folks have problems with altitude. A couple even die from it a lot of years.

Thank for sharing, glad advice you got here worked.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight