New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer question..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the difference between special Muzzle loading primers vs standard shotgun primers?

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I've read, the muzzleloading primers do not have as much power as the 209.

The 209 will shove the load forward before all the powder is burned and degrade accuracy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of mine use a 209 primer.

Posts: 11905 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Race Bannon:
From what I've read, the muzzleloading primers do not have as much power as the 209.

The 209 will shove the load forward before all the powder is burned and degrade accuracy.

What he said.....

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Race Bannon:

I've not found that to be true in my guns.
The bullet is already moving forward anyway.

I get good results with Winchester 209's and Triple 7 powder.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
like Snyper said, I have used both win and fed primers with out any issues.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had missfires and hang fires with the 777 primers. Switched to plain Winchester or CCI primers and the problems went away.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Too much flame; too much fouling:
Our Encore gets so dirty from the 209 primer that after 50 shots my firing pin will not even travel far enough to ignite the primer.

I don't know anyone who expects to shoot a muzzleloader 50 times without some cleaning.

It sounds to me like they have more of a breach plug problem than a primer problem.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote