ACCURATERELOADING.COM MUZZLELOADING BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Muzzleloading Big Game Hunting    Need loading advise for the 58 cal. with 777

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need loading advise for the 58 cal. with 777
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I found the powder locally, but I can't find any load data, I need an elk load for ball and for bullet..I have 3 loading books but no infor on 58 cal. or 777 Powder..Need some loads, good tough loads for big bull elk, perhaps big bear. I have the firepower, just need to knowo how much 777..I have my loads for black powder.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may have already seen this:

http://www.pyrodex.com/PDF/muz...08.pdf?CHECKBOX_1=on

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Standard for 777 is to reduce your blackpowder or pyrodex load by 10% (by VOLUME measure) to achieve roughly the same velocity. I used quite a bit of the 777 last year and I liked it quite a bit. Just like black powder, I got the best result with a damp patch followed by a dry patch after each shot. I was able to load and shoot indefinitely when doing so. For the wet patch, I used a mix of Ballistol and water, soaked a handful of patches and squeezed most of it out and stored in a small ziplock bag. It will foul your bore if you don't wet patch, but with a quick wipe in between the residue ring in the breech area was dissolved completely with the patching. You'll be able to feel initially.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask Toby from North American Muzzleloader Hunting

namlhunt@gmail.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I settled on the same load as 2f Goex, 100 grs of both with about any wt. bullet or round ball so far seems to work in my 58 and 54 and pressures are low with velocity looking good, I went up to 120 with both and not much changed. Kinda keeps life simple, got some pillow ticking patches .010 and .015 and accuracy improved a good deal..I made up 200 old Levi patches that were real soft, but too thick for the 54 and 58 with .490 and .530..Not sure how folks used them?? maybe casting smaller balls??I was using Hornadys and speer..

I liking the Hornady Great Palins Conical HP. real well, they shoot good in my 54.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote