The Accurate Reloading Forums
Bullet Recommendations Needed

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3821043/m/6211042032

13 March 2017, 04:59
LRx
Bullet Recommendations Needed
Hi Fellas:

Just picked up a new Remington UML and need to find some full-bore diameter bullets as MT does not allow sabots.

Wondering if anyone has experience with the No Excuses bullets? If so, how do they compare to the Hornady Great Plains?

Any other recommendations in .50 cal?

Thanks in advance,
Lee
14 March 2017, 00:27
Atkinson
I know a bunch of people that shoot them to hunt with and praise them highly, they are a darn good looking bullet...I have his business card and the telephone number is out, and the email is not working, and no web page..I wonder if he is out of business or the card is just and old one..Do you have his contact numbers, if so I would appreciate them..I would like to buy some of his bullets, they are big long bullets with a very flat nose simi wadcutter, such as a Keith pistol bullet..and that design is proven on game for a number of years in pistols..should be awesome in a 500 plus gr. ML.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com
14 March 2017, 00:44
Naphtali
Lee:

I have avoided giving our hunting regulations any attention for several years. It's depressing when health forces near total immobility. My spinal fusions are now healed enough that I can begin to begin to shoot again. . . . Which brings me to ask about muzzleloading gun season in Montana. When I checked several years ago, there was not state wide muzzleloading deer/elk season. But there were a few muzzleloading gun ONLY hunts in specified sections. Are these the reason for your query?

I am a muzzleloading hunter. My last half-dozen seasons I used Pedersoli Kodiak Safari .72-caliber cap lock double rifles. I am having a matched pair of English-style .72-caliber Big Bore Express rifles made by Gene Gordner in Kalispell. They should be ready sometime in May??

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
14 March 2017, 01:53
Race Bannon
Here you go Ray

No Excuses Bullets link

http://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/

(801) 675-5113
dave@muzzleloading-bullets.com

I bought some 50 cal. bullets from Dave last fall.
They are easy to load and shoot very well.

Haven't shot anything other than paper with them yet.
14 March 2017, 07:30
LRx
quote:
Originally posted by Naphtali:
Lee:

I have avoided giving our hunting regulations any attention for several years. It's depressing when health forces near total immobility. My spinal fusions are now healed enough that I can begin to begin to shoot again. . . . Which brings me to ask about muzzleloading gun season in Montana. When I checked several years ago, there was not state wide muzzleloading deer/elk season. But there were a few muzzleloading gun ONLY hunts in specified sections. Are these the reason for your query?

I am a muzzleloading hunter. My last half-dozen seasons I used Pedersoli Kodiak Safari .72-caliber cap lock double rifles. I am having a matched pair of English-style .72-caliber Big Bore Express rifles made by Gene Gordner in Kalispell. They should be ready sometime in May??

Hey Naphtali-

You're spot on- we do not have a specific muzzleloader season, just weapons restriction areas (particularly around Helena). With the proper equipment, I can squeeze a few extra outings in per season by taking advantage of these areas. Speaking of our hunting regs, sabots are allowed for shotgun slugs...go figure...

That and I'm looking to expand my hunting opportunities to include the surrounding states with specific muzzleloader seasons.

Be sure to post pictures of your customs when they're completed! tu2
15 March 2017, 07:45
brent ebeling
You might try Thor. They were using a barnes thpe of all copper bullet
15 March 2017, 12:54
Naphtali
LRx:

You would be satisfied with pictures? If you will strongly consider migrating to a more traditional sidelock muzzleloader, we can arrange to get together for you to seriously bruise your shoulder, shooting my Boomers (named Dempsey and Baer). Dempsey should be ready soon. Turnbull has some color case hardening to do, and my back-up lock need be made. You'll have your choice of the [wimpy] 530-grain round ball or my general purpose 775-grain conical. I won't have Steve Brooks make the 1000-grain conical until my aspiration of going on a muzzleloading cape buffalo hunt has been booked.

I wonder whether this thinking is much like, "My are bigger than my stomach," lusting for that second deep dish pizza?
quote:
Originally posted by LRx:
quote:
Originally posted by Naphtali:
Lee:

Hey Naphtali-

You're spot on- we do not have a specific muzzleloader season, just weapons restriction areas (particularly around Helena). With the proper equipment, I can squeeze a few extra outings in per season by taking advantage of these areas. Speaking of our hunting regs, sabots are allowed for shotgun slugs...go figure...

That and I'm looking to expand my hunting opportunities to include the surrounding states with specific muzzleloader seasons.

Be sure to post pictures of your customs when they're completed! tu2

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
15 March 2017, 18:17
Buglemintoday
LRx -- I would look into the Hornady fpb 300 or 350gr bullets as well. The No Excuses bullets were very popular with White Muzzleloaders...but I don't think they are in business anymore. At least they weren't when I had my 3 white muzzleloaders (2+ yr ago)

The fpb bullets were more accurate out of my .50cal than the Great Plains.

The Thor bullets are another great choice. I got a sizing pack when they first came out...you will need to do the same in order to get the correct dia bullet for your rifle. But they will punch through an elk.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"
17 March 2017, 07:23
LRx
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:

The fpb bullets were more accurate out of my .50cal than the Great Plains.

The Thor bullets are another great choice. I got a sizing pack when they first came out...you will need to do the same in order to get the correct dia bullet for your rifle. But they will punch through an elk.

Thanks Buglem. I was looking at both those options too. I've been reading that it's a good idea to "size" the FPB's by pushing them through your barrel (with the breech removed) for easier loading later. Have you had a similar experience with them?
18 March 2017, 04:24
drhall762
I just bought a bunch from No Excuses this past season and if you want, the White .504s are still available from White Rifles. I have a 2016 price list and purchased both the 460 and 480 grain this past summer. IIRC though, according to Steve they may be limited to stock on hand. You can contact him at: whiterifles@gmail.com. He is a nice guy but sometimes a tad slow to respond.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.
18 March 2017, 23:46
Atkinson
Race and LRX,
No Excuse bullets is still in business, thanks Race I got in touch with him..I had an old card..

His bullets are highly praised in Idaho by the local Muzzle Loading hunters..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

19 March 2017, 01:30
LHeym500
I have had all pass through so on 3 deer with the Hornaday 350 grain jacketed conical.
30 March 2017, 19:32
MileHighShooter
In my Encore, I have had the best luck with the 385gr Hornady Great Plains bullet, very good accuracy and it resulted in a very dead bull 2 years ago. Bonus, they're cheap!! About 12 bucks for 20 bullets.

My Triumph had promising accuracy with the Federal Trophy bullets, both the 350 lead and 270 all copper. They load easier than any other bullet I've tried. Didn't get a chance at game last year, so no idea what the on-game result is.

Haven't had a chance to try Thor yet, but want to. I'm also going to try Sabertooth belted bullets, my buddy gets scoped rifle accuracy with his.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!
02 April 2017, 20:36
Idaho Ron
The No excuse bullets are pretty accurate. The biggest problem with them is there is no quality control. The bullets can be up to 10 grains +- target weight.
I have taken them and graded them into lots. Then paper patched them and sized them to .501 for my rifles. They shoot very well if you do a little work with them.
I make my own bullets. I make the Lee 500 S&W bullet. I paper patch them and size them to .501 those bullets are hammers and super accurate. I don't take a first shot at animals past 150 yards. But if something happens and I need to shoot again those bullets are accurate out to 250 yards.
30 May 2017, 01:58
Atkinson
My 54 shoots the Hornady conicals really good, I tried some last week..Seems my most accurate load so far and probably my best elk load with 120 grs. of FFG or 777 in a pinch. Ive observed both ball and bullet kills on elk, the conicals kill better, over a number of years watching the clients, friends and relitives shoot elk. the main thing is the conicals give two holes, and I have never been of the "bullet expending all its energy inside an animal, its a cute scenario but I would rather an animal make a few more tracks and give me a big time blood trail...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

08 June 2017, 16:23
alleyyooper
I know a lot of muzzle loader hunters that are now shooting Leigh bullets in their muzzle loaders.

https://www.lehighbullets.com/

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.
15 November 2018, 07:21
Bill Gammill
Another vote for Thor bullets. I use 76 gr of BH 209 and 300 gr Thor bullet— one shot kills on big Iowa Deer and a BC moose . Accurate out to two hundred and classic Barnes mushroom.

It's the hunt, not the kill
16 November 2018, 01:52
miles58
I think that the first thing I would do faced with a "no sabots law is the simply try a Barnes T-EZ with a patch, just like a round ball.

I would bet on the shooting pretty much identically. I don't think the plastic is any kind of magic.
16 November 2018, 02:41
brent ebeling
I use parker bullets. Love them