New
Find
Notify
Tools

smoothy at work
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

A little six point buck I took with my fusil de chasse with 70 grns of the black and a .62 cal round ball. This is my first deer with the smooth bore.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, barrel that long you could just
reach out and touch 'em!

Took? HUH?? What??

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey George, originally MLers, had barrels that long. Or longer. PA/Ky rifles had barrels from 40 to 50 inches. These little 32 inch things, what the Hawkins and such had.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay George, I took possession of the buck with the aid of 70 grns. of blk powder, a wad of Spanish moss, a .62 cal ball, and another wad of Spanish moss. Possession of body, mind, and soul, sort of. Smiler The barrel is not as long as it looks in the pic. at only 36 inches. Most fusils had 42 inch barrels, I wanted something a bit more handy.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well done! I've got an 11-bore Marshfield fowler to work up a load for with round ball.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That thing ought to throw a beach ball. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a flintlock long rifle in 40 cal an uncle built in the 70’s that has a 48” barrel. Not even that heavy and it sure holds steady!

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I've always been in awe at how the longrifle felt when you picked it up and sighted down the barrel long enough to reach from Kaintuck to Penn's woods. And I have short arms. Just like magic!