ACCURATERELOADING.COM MUZZLELOADING BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Muzzleloading Big Game Hunting    Question for the states that don't allow scopes

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the states that don't allow scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted
I have had multiple eye surgeries and have to wear contacts. Cannot wear glasses because the focal point point is to far away. I can't use iron sights and must use a scope to shoot rifles. I can still shoot a pistol but beyond 30 yards forget it. Do the states that ban the use of scopes allow for exceptions?

Since I can't draw an Antelope tag in Arizona for the past 23 years I want to go out of state in the next year or so

Posts: 747 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have eye problems. Colorado has a handicap exemption. Easy to get. I applied for it last year and received a lifetime permit allowing me to use scopes on muzzle loaders and crossbows.

Posts: 90 | Location: Mishawaka, In. | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
New Mexico just banned scopes on muzzleloaders. As far as I can tell from the regulations, there are no exceptions. However, it's our first year, so it will likely evolve. There are very few muzzleloader only hunts for pronghorn anyway, so if you applied here you would likely just put in for rifle. You have a chance for a tag, though very slim... Good luck!

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Minnesota also has an exemption for handicapped people.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe another angle. I'm following a thread on ML scope use in AK. Can not use scopes. BUT one of the posters has claimed that only pertains to SCOPES and to be a scope it has to have some magnification. If there is no magnification then it's a glass sight (red dot?) and should be legal to use on a ML.

I'm waiting to see a F&G statement on this claim.

Posts: 276 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
crbutler: From the FAQ section of MN DNR website:
Any hunter may use a magnifying or holographic "red dot" scopes during the muzzleloader deer season without a special permit.
Has been that way since 2018 season.

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
South Dakota has no muzzleloading only season for pronghorn.
What you can do is hunt with your scoped muzzleloader during regular season.

This might be an option in other states also.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 817 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another possible option is to use a peep or ghost ring sight mounted near/on the tang. That helps me use iron sights. Much improved.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just bought one of these peeps for my PA long rifle. Thought I would post here for info.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum...g-peep-sight.145105/

Posts: 83 | Location: Brownstown, PA | Registered: 04 January 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
I think, once you allow scopes on ML, there is no reason to have special season
The whole point of ML is tough hunt and low success
Correct me if I’m wrong

Posts: 103 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote