Find
Notify
Tools

A Brief Look at Thompson's ne Triumph
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good overview -- thanks!

........ Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas" ............

Posts: 138 | Location: Not Tellin' Michigan USA | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Sounds interesting. I wonder what kind of price tag they'll wear?

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I handled a Triumph in the T/C booth at SCI last week. There was no indication if it was a production or prototype, but I do know it didn't arrive at the show until a day or so after the show opened.

The Speed Breech has two witness marks to indicate the proper positions for open and locked, and the plug has "up" inscribed on its top so you don't try to put it in upside down. I didn't check to see if you could do that (the T/C staff guy was hovering closely).

I liked it enough that I will get one and try some shooting. I understand that the price will be lower than other T/C rifles, but I don't know exactly what that means.

My first thought on removing the breech was what loads I could use in the rifle to take advantage of "breech loading". Wink

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, that rifle made me think. I wonder if you could load it from the breech using a solid pellets and saboted bullet? Making sure of course the sabot and bullet are against the pellets with the breech block pushing on them.

Joe

one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
You "could"-- if you don't mind ripping up your sabot, scraping the barrel threads with powder, coating pellets with thread lube, and don't care about seating pressure of bullet against powder, etc.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's true what you said, although I think the pellets should drop right pass the threads. I don't think the threads should have that much anti-seize grease on them. Depends on how the initial step into the rifling/bore looks as to whether it tears of the sabot up. Far as seating tight a final tap of the ramrod would fix that.

All in all probably a stupid idea.

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know, that rifle made me think. I wonder if you could load it from the breech using a solid pellets and saboted bullet? Making sure of course the sabot and bullet are against the pellets with the breech block pushing on them.
You could always make a speed breech out of brass with a thin-walled sleeve extending into the chamber that could hold the primer, powder, and bullet as a single unit. You could even carry spares ready to go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just thinking out loud, don't go doing anything crazy or dangerous. Use it the way intended.

Joe

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nordrseta:
quote:
You could always make a speed breech out of brass with a thin-walled sleeve extending into the chamber that could hold the primer, powder, and bullet as a single unit. You could even carry spares ready to go.

I think that's already been done, it's called a brass cartridge !!!!

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowhuntrrl:
quote:
Originally posted by nordrseta:
quote:

I think that's already been done, it's called a brass cartridge !!!!
Something like this maybe? Cool