New
Find
Notify
Tools

Initial Muzzleloader testing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Bought a Traditions Vortek Strikefire with a Nikon XR Inline scope a few weeks ago for an upcoming whitetail hunt in KY this December. Below are the first two 3 shot groups. Groups were shot off bags on a bench at 50 yards. Barrel was swabbed with TC pretreated borebutter patches between each shot. 90 grains of T7 pellets (one 60, one 30), T7 primer. Bottom group was 240gr Hornady Interlock saboted projectiles, top was 250gr Barnes TMZ saboted projectiles after an elevation adjustment between groups.

https://imgur.com/a/pYtK80Z

Posts: 1417 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That will do the trick, and you have the right idea of a wet patch followed by a dry patch between each shot. I use Ballistol mixed about 50/50 with water and pretreat a stack of patches and keep them in a ziplock along with another bag of dry. I push the wet patch down and back, turn the patch around on the jag and do it once more. Then the dry patch. I get consistent results with the loose triple seven but admit to never using pellets. I like the loose powder. Different bullet/sabot combinations will work better/worse but you want a pretty snug load on the way down without making it too hard. Cold weather will make it harder yet.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote