New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzleloaders shooting smokeless powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been doing a little research on these. I am amazed at the velocities that are being achieved and the accuracy. I realize they may be a little controversial but putting thar aside what is the recoil like? Seems like it would be really stout. Are muzzle breaks a must have? The same weight bullets at the same velocities from a center fire would definitely be stout.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
It just depends on the velocity and weight of the projectile. And how strong the rifle you are shooting is. Loads duplicating the 45-70 are not too stout. Loads to shoot 500yds will be pretty stout. The best part is not having to clean your rifle.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. One example I was looking at advertises a 275 gn parker bullet at 2900 to 3000 fps. They build them on Rem 700 actions and on TC actions.

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I’ve got an Arrowhead smokeless Encore (45 cal) set up and a NULA smokeless 50 cal, and though I can’t speak on velocities, the accuracy is great out to 200 yards (which is as far as I have shot them).

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a converted .458 Encore barrel but I don't run it hot and stay more or less at 45/70 level. It's just more because I can and I did not have one.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Luke at arrowhead builds great stuff and is very knowledgeable in this arena.
I shoot the 275 gr parkers, devastating on game! I have not chroned my rifle, but the folks who have done so with similar loads are producing close to what was mentioned.
I wanted to get rid of the sabot, so i have a 45 cal barrel and feed the bullets in with no problem. I also wanted a more reliable firing system and something easy to clean. You will be impressed

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got thru building a smokeless ML for a hunt the first week of Jan. It was built on a Savage Axis action and used an Brux barrel from Arrowhead. I chronoed the 275 Pittman Accumax bullets at a little over 2800 consistently, using H-4198 and CCI-250 primers. Recoil was not bad at all but the rifle is reasonably heavy. One ragged hole group at 100yds. Tried the 300 grainers and they shot well but not quite as good as the 275.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magnum hunter1. Curious what your setup weighs? What would you compare the recoil to? I would have thought a 275 grain bullet at 2800 would recoil more than a 375 but just guessing. Amazing accuracy btw.

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bghntr416:
Interesting. One example I was looking at advertises a 275 gn parker bullet at 2900 to 3000 fps. They build them on Rem 700 actions and on TC actions.

Anyone getting interested in smokeless should first go to Hank's Message Boards or
Doug's Message Boards (Hank's is getting a lot more traffic with very helpful members)
and ask a LOT of questions. Just like reloading CF, smokeless MLoading can be very safe
or catastrophic.

Depending on the barrel diameter, the 700's can shoot some very heavy bullets over
3,000fps, those rifles are way too heavy for hunting. But if a rifle is built on
a barrel nut design (700's and Savages), as well as TC Encores, the same loads would
be very dangerous.

I've shot everything from 150gr saboted bullets to .458 310gr bullets, settling mainly
on 250 and 275gr bullets. The 700 shooting 275gr bullets @2800fps is very manageable,
but that rifle weighs in at over 12 pounds. Luckily, I don't have to carry it far to
get to the blinds and stands.

Our independence is dying.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote