New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 230 grain xtp for hunting.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is your opinion for using the .451 230 grain xtp for deer. Shoots accurate in my omega and loads easier than shock waves or tc cheap shots.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Hi. I have used the 200gr xtp for years with both 1 pc. and 3 pc. sleeves. 110grs of FFFg I changed over last year to an inline and started using 245gr xtp's and 100grs Triple7. both are a deadly combo for deer.
I think the 230gr would do just as well.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the XTP's seem to perform very well.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
I also think any XTP will well on deer.
I use 300 gr .452, 240 and 265 gr .429 and all work with the proper sabot cup.

Posts: 309 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well I just got confused with to much info on another site where they were saying the 230 was meant for 45 acp and velocity of 800-1200,and it would fragment at muzzle loader velocity, then read another article that felt xtp was to hard and wouldn't expand ?. SOOOO!? I've dug around in my old stuff and found some knight bullet sabot combo that's a little smaller in diameter,and will be easier to load also going to get some harvester crush ribs to try. my only concern is loading a second shot in the field, with this tight bore omega . may get some J-B bore past and swap it about 100 times.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
Well, now that you mention it they may be correct.
I think there are XTPs and there are magnum XTPs.
The .451 may indeed fragment. I bet it would still kill a whitetail within 100 yards.
I tend to use the heavier 300gr .452 more than the others

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Mag XTP?? was that what they were designed for
All the recovered bullets are perfect mushrooms. even when I dug them out of a dirt bank.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
https://drive.google.com/file/...kPf/view?usp=sharing

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/xtp#!/

I can't find a list on Hornady's site, but the .452 300 gr comes in XTP or XTP Mag. The XTP Mag is for the higher velocities of the .454 Casull vs slower .45 Colt loads. I've never been able to recover an XTP Mag from a whitetail or mule deer. They have all been through and through.
A lot of people gripe about Hornady bullets "failing". They may not be premium bullets (and don't have that premium price), but everything I have ever shot with a Hornady bullet is dead.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
called hornady told them my story said it would work fine, would just like to here from someone who has shot a deer with them.While working up loads I made two shots with them that touched at 150 yards 6" low 100 gr 777 loose mmp sabot.Also had the least amount of drop of any of the other bullets with 100 yd zero.Also on their homesite under muzzleloading bullets the only xtp bullet listed is the 240 grain .430 so I'm going to use the tc cheap shot sabots, my gun loves them but they are tight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go kill deer with them.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote