Looking at buying a muzzleloader

Want something modern and rifle like

Will be mounting quality optics

Left hand friendly

Accurate

For use in Kansas for deer hunting.

Thanks for any info.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johnston's Ultimate Muzzleloader

it fires a single shot. What difference does left handed make?

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Johnston's Ultimate Muzzleloader

it fires a single shot. What difference does left handed make?

Neutral stock

Will check it out.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC Triumph Bone Collector has worked well for me. Balanced weight, handles nicely and groups well with Blackhorn 209.

Posts: 111 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 27 May 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is an old school rifle I think. It is a Knight MK85 50 cal. It shoots a Lee 500 S&W bullet paper patched and sized to fit the barrel. It uses 80 grains of Pyrodex P with an over powder wad.

It has a Lyman 17AHB front sight with Lee Shavers BPCR inserts.

The Rear sight is a Williams FP sight. I used a slight spacer under the rear sight to raise it so I can shoot farther than 300 yards.

This is a picture of my son shooting it at 250 yards.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The ones I have built on Mauser actions using brass cartridge cases for primers; modern and rifle like. Rem 700 makes one like you describe.
But they are nothing like traditional muzzle loaders; so all of them should be banned. True, they are one shot...
Flint and cap only.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
You might consider a smokeless Rem/Pac. I currently own two and six friends have had ones built after seeing/shooting mine. Remington 700ML action with Pacnor .45 caliber barrel. 60 grains H4198 pushing a .40 caliber SST at 2700 FPS. Produces 3/8" groups at 100 yards. Sight in 3" high at 100 yards and hold dead on deer size critters out to 250 yards (9" low at 300 yards). BEGNO witnessed me whack a couple white tails 3 years ago in KY.

http://dougsmessageboards.prob...ght-weight-rem-build

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1695 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a modern mzldr. I burn 66 graims of imr 4198. I do not use sabots. I swqge 275 parker bullets thru a dye and they slide right into the grooves. I use fed 209 primers. Ocmtact Luke at arrowhead sporting goods soon and he will get you all hooked up. If you go off an encore it will be your cheapest. He also builds a rifle using large magnum rifle primers! Simply fantastic rifles and he is top notch and fully able to support you after the sale. I love mine. Guys shoot these things out to 500-700 yds!

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Brent is correct. Sounds like he full forms the bullets. Many others are smooth forming getting similar results. Smooth forming doesn't require indexing the bullets (lining up the lands and grooves). Where I hunt my maximum shots would be 300 yards so a 200 grain bullet traveling at 2700 FPS is all I need. He's also spot on regarding Luke at Arrowhead Supply. Good luck!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1695 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 700 ML, with the original barrels and a hunter bolt nose kit along with new breech plug. This works great with sabots and black powder equivalents. I've also built the hot 45's and what not with the arrowhead sports.

What I use myself now is a Rem 700ML with a Green Mountain 50 cal barrel and the Arrowhead Sports bolt nose conversion and breech plug. The stainless 1-28" barrel works great with sabots and it is less p*ss'n around than bare bullets and getting the proper size on a jacketed bullet. I use AA5744 powder, around 44gr gets me 2150fps with a 250gr Hornady Monoflex bullet and a crushrib sabot. It works very well and shoots 1 MOA. That bullet has performed excellent on 4 or 5 deer and does a great job with drop in their tracks or short heavy blood trails up to this point.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote