New
Find
Notify
Tools

2019 muzzleloader hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Last week my son Jacob and I went on our yearly ML hunt. I got into camp a couple days before Jacob did. I saw a lot of deer this year but very few bucks. The night before Jacob got there I saw a real nice 4 point. The next morning we were on a ridge and Jacob hisses at me. I look up to see the 4 point run to the right, and a buck up hill looking at me. I asked Jacob which was bigger. He said "down hill", so I went for the smaller buck leaving the bigger one for Jacob. Then Jacob told me that he left his sight in the truck. I went for the smaller buck anyway to save the bigger one for Jacob to try to get.
I went for a neck shot at 30 yards and he was down in an instant.

We got him to the trail, loaded and headed back to camp to skin.

We spent the next three days hunting that buck. Jacob saw him five times and I saw him two times.

Jacob passed a lot of deer on the hunt, all doe's. But he was able to shoot a grouse with his air pistol.

We had a great hunt. Next up is a late cow elk hunt.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Love that pic looking over the big country with the muzzleloader!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Love that pic looking over the big country with the muzzleloader!

I did too. He was saying he wished he could fly so he could see down the draws near the river.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Nice going. What barrel is on that TC?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2788 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Nice going. What barrel is on that TC?

My rifle has a Green Mountain stainless 1-30 twist. Jacobs rifle is a Green Mountain stainless steel 1-28 twist.