New
Find
Notify
Tools

T/C 50 cal Hawkins
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a T/C 50 cal Hawkins, purchased in the early 80's. I used to shoot Pyrodex in this rifle but haven't shot this rifle since the 80's. My question is this: Are there any of the synthetic pellets that would work in this rifle or am I stuck with using granular synthetic powder?

George

Posts: 28 | Location: Centennial, Colorado | Registered: 12 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why on earth anyone would want to use Pyrodex in any form in it boggles the mind....

Porosonik.

Vetting voters= racist. Vetting gun buyers= not racist. Got it?

Posts: 407 | Registered: 03 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always been under the impression that the pellets were intended, perhaps designed, for modern in-line rifles. Also, that they're more difficult to ignite with #11 percussion caps...and they're expensive. Pyrodex was always a poor performer for me in my muzzleloaders and I've never seen the need or benefit to change from real black powder.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup- to say nothing of the fact that it is every bit as corrosive as black powder and smells like burning dog shit. The only advantage of Pyrodex is that it's considered to be a flamable solid, rather than an explosive, and is therefore less restricted.

Porosonik.

Vetting voters= racist. Vetting gun buyers= not racist. Got it?

Posts: 407 | Registered: 03 September 2012Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
So how do you guys really feel about pyrodex? Smiler

Anyway Seismic, they definitely make pyrodex pellets that fit your gun but they do carry a written warning against using them in sidelocks:

http://www.cabelas.com/product...&Ntt=pyrodex+pellets

Personally I've found that pyrodex and BP both work equally fine for me so decide what works best for you, which includes the convenience factor of being able to buy it at Walmart if you need to.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7756 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Porosonik:
Why on earth anyone would want to use Pyrodex in any form in it boggles the mind....

Porosonik.

Oh my indeed..Shocking ..Only use GEOX blackpowder in fine gun like that ...

Posts: 110 | Location: wilds of pa .... | Registered: 31 December 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
While many only use real black I use T 7, Use CCI mag caps and have no problem. For me why would any one want to be stuck with a load like 50 grains 1 pellet, 70gr 1 50 gr pellet and a 30grain. 100gr. 2 50 gr pellet, or 130?

Loose you can load 60 gr, 75gr and so on. Load the powder loose in a quick load or a tube sold online for that.

I can buy prodex and T 7 over the counter at the local gun store. Real black you have to order and pay a hasmat fee here. Makes it cost more per pound and the wait.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I f you join local muzzleloader club they order powder by the keg I was filling my can for 10 bucks at club and you meet a lot of nice guys/gals ..Learn a lot of tips..

Posts: 110 | Location: wilds of pa .... | Registered: 31 December 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seismicshooter:
I have a T/C 50 cal Hawkins, purchased in the early 80's. I used to shoot Pyrodex in this rifle but haven't shot this rifle since the 80's. My question is this: Are there any of the synthetic pellets that would work in this rifle or am I stuck with using granular synthetic powder?

George

There are Pyrodex pellets for use in your rifle, the advantages are, ease of loading. 2 pellets instead of measuring powder and they are coated and resist moisture a bit better. Also, they seem to ignite a bit easier. I use them exclusively in my 2 .54 cal muzzleloaders.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seismicshooter:

George

Assuming it's a caplock you can probably get pellets to work. If it's a flinter forget it.

Having said that, why the desire to use pellets? If you can get real black powder, I'd use it. None of the substitutes work as well in traditional guns.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dont know abut flintlocks, mine are caplocks. But I have been shooting pellets from the time they were introduced. 30 years or so. I have better luck with ignition with the pellets than loose black. Might be the cold and snow where I hunt dont know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are many reasons I use Pyrodex P. But the main ones are first I can get it local and I don't have to pay outrageous shipping prices. Second, ignition is instant with no hang fire at all. Third, my rifles are accurate with it.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Not every one belongs to a Muzzle loader shooting club. I don't even know of one in my area. If it is like our sportsman club you have to figure the member ship dues in on the cost of the powder.
I just don't see going thru all the B/S to shoot Real Black when many of the subs work just fine in most rifles.
Of course it doesn't hold the snob appeal some seem to relish.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There can very easily be an advantage to using and ordering real black powder, IF you shoot enough of it. I've been ordering mine for....over 20years at least.

IF you order in case lots, as I always have, even today the hazmat fee comes to about $1.00 a pound. The last case I ordered my cost was at least $4.00 per lb. less than anything, real black or a synthetic, could be bought locally and that was with the hazmat fee included. Over 25 lbs. that's a $100 savings. A fella wouldn't have to belong to a club. If you know a few guys who shoot BP put together an order with them. Granulations and brands can usually be mixed.

Is doing that for everyone, no, probably not. However, I shoot a lot of BP and it's the only thing that makes sense for me.

Also, the name is HAWKEN, not Hawkins.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a fair amount of GOEX. however, I shoot it in 44-40 and 10 and 12 ga. shot shells for cowboy action shooting. For hunting the pellets are just plain easier to use. But, I am not a traditionalist and generally hunt in the snow with an inline instead of the TC New Englander. I do use the New Englander when the weather is dry and not too cold.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alleyyooper:
Not every one belongs to a Muzzle loader shooting club. I don't even know of one in my area. If it is like our sportsman club you have to figure the member ship dues in on the cost of the powder.
I just don't see going thru all the B/S to shoot Real Black when many of the subs work just fine in most rifles.
Of course it doesn't hold the snob appeal some seem to relish.

Big Grin Al

You are right to point.We were raised on flintlocks from 1960 its hard to except any change ..You are righton club I was just finding way to get powder cheaper I agree PRICES ARE AWFUL ON THAT HAZARDOUS SHIPPING ..Terrible ..So if you found a cheaper way to shoot GREAT..

I am just from the old school roundball and blackpowder i love smell too...Sorry ifyou thought i was snob not meant to be that way at all..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharps4590:
There can very easily be an advantage to using and ordering real black powder, IF you shoot enough of it. I've been ordering mine for....over 20years at least.

IF you order in case lots, as I always have, even today the hazmat fee comes to about $1.00 a pound. The last case I ordered my cost was at least $4.00 per lb. less than anything, real black or a synthetic, could be bought locally and that was with the hazmat fee included. Over 25 lbs. that's a $100 savings. A fella wouldn't have to belong to a club. If you know a few guys who shoot BP put together an order with them. Granulations and brands can usually be mixed.

Is doing that for everyone, no, probably not. However, I shoot a lot of BP and it's the only thing that makes sense for me.

Also, the name is HAWKEN, not Hawkins.

Problem is same for most here cost of just buying 1 can of Geox vr sother syn powders ..

I did as you 1 bought 25 cans of power 10 years ago for 8 dollars a can shipped..today shipping is 30 bucks a can .awful..

our muzz club buys it by keg.membership is 10 bucks ayear.
they re fill your can for 12 bucks and you learn a lot from them shooting.

BUT many do not have club nearby..

that was very good groups at 100 yards i cannot shoot that far ..we only shoot to 50 yards and with 70 grs of 3f ,490 rb ,bore button. .018 patch ,peep sight which is not good on getting groups i can touch the holes ..i use 50 grs for practice to save powder...
my HAWKEN .50 cal flint is 1-48 twist not bad for roundball shooting..do not ever think a 1-48 twist will not shoot rb it does secret is tight patch .018 ..

i may get rb barrel in 1-72 twist used just for heck of it...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We cannot use cap rifles in flintlock season it has to be hammer/flint..Pa will arrest you if you use cap type muzz big no no here..

I do not know if syn powders would work in flintlock it may come out the hole in pan ?I can see it working for cap locks anyone try it in flintlock?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sproul, the ignition temp of the synthetics is too high to be ignited by the flash from a flintlock. Most are above 600 degrees F. Black is something above 400 degrees F. They can be successfully used in flinters if a person leads with a small charge of black then the synthetic on top. It works and I can understand it for those in places where BP is hard to come by. It would certainly stretch your can of black.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharps4590:
sproul, the ignition temp of the synthetics is too high to be ignited by the flash from a flintlock. Most are above 600 degrees F. Black is something above 400 degrees F. They can be successfully used in flinters if a person leads with a small charge of black then the synthetic on top. It works and I can understand it for those in places where BP is hard to come by. It would certainly stretch your can of black.

Thanks for info..I never heard of using syn pellets in muzzleloder here locally in pa but we all use flintlocks..We are lucky to have muzz club near me they fill my cans of geox ..Save those cans they are using plastic bottles now ...