New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a muzzleloader
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Work and my dads health problems mucked up rifle season.

I’ve booked a three day hunt in two weeks for Kentucky’s late muzzleloader season.

I’ve never shot a muzzleloader, or a black powder rifle other than an army and navy double rifle.

I need to buy a muzzleloader, that runs off 209 shotgun primers and pellets or blackhorn 209.

The easier to deal with the better. The hunt is in two weeks, and I need time to deal with getting primers, powder, sight in the scope, etc.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
OK, going with the "easiest to deal with", at this point I'd suggest just checking out what the local stores have in stock, personally I'd look at combos so you just get the whole package. You can get that sighted in and running, then decide next season if you want to upgrade anything.Personally I'd go with #11 caps if I had a choice but it really doesn't matter long as they'll have and sell you a couple tins with the gun. You didn't mention a brand or budget but CVA is a nice middle brand, I've had several of them and they are acceptable quality. Since you want to keep this simple I'd suggest a 50 cal and for starters use 80 grains of Pyrodex RS. You need a powder measure as pyrodex is measured by volume and not weight.

Hope that helps!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7760 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, I get that no one wants to use a traditional ML for the past 20 years. And I hate to admit it, but I also now use an inline.
I use a TC, 50 caliber, with sabots that shoot 45 caliber bullets.
I use loose 777 powder. at least I can still measure powder, but many guys can't even manage that and use pellets.
Use 209 primers; not caps. Shotgun primers are 1000% more reliable and hot.
CVA is good too.
Do not use Pyrodex unless you have to; it is crap. I bought some when it first came out in 1976; still have it. Crap. Eats brass too. very corrosive.
I actually prefer real black powder; it still works well. I was on a hog hunt in sept and used my .54 cal Kodiak double rifle with 3fg BP and a CVA powder belt. I know, modern bullet, but they shot better than lead ones. It uses Musket caps.
Come up and you can shoot all kinds of muzzle loaders.

Posts: 17065 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I switched from pellets to blackhorn powder and find it much better.

Last I checked, Blackhorn powder was tough to find.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ended up with a traditions nitrofire. Sacrilege but it is quick to put together.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in a similar situation and bought a CVA Optima. I use IMR White Hots pellets. It works well.

I once was a Hawken round ball shooter. Lots of fun. I also prefer ff black powder. Accuracy went to shit on my second barrel.

Cleanup is easier now though.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I realize this post is a few weeks old. But until someone buys that part of Hodgon powder where they make Blackhorn 209. I would go with 777 powder. Blackhorn is no longer being made and almost impossible to find. I have 2 full containers left and switching to 777 when I run out.

Posts: 747 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im still using my old Lyman Great plains percussion 54..

The modern muzzle loaders should be illegal..Idaho ML hunts are "primitive hunts" and don't allow the shotgun primers, breach loaders, etc except under modern rifle hunts..Lots of reasons this should be IMO primarily because the new muzzle loaders are as effective an accurate as a modern varming rifle, or a single shot Ruger no. 1...
sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41782 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And compound bows should not be allowed during archery season. compound bows are as effective and accurate as a muzzleloader, for sure a Lyman 54 cal Great Plains.

No need to hide behind a couch. Simple facts.

Use whatever you feel happy with. Just do it in a way that won’t make hunters appear to be assholes.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote