ACCURATERELOADING.COM MUZZLELOADING BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Muzzleloading Big Game Hunting    Experimenting with sabots in a slow twist barrel

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experimenting with sabots in a slow twist barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I have a 1:48" twist 54 caliber TC Renegade that won't shoot the Copper 275 grain Barnes Sabot load because they require a 20" twist.

So, I found some sabots in different internal sizes that they sell in 20 count sample packs and I'm going to try some copper pistol bullets:

.429 caliber 200 grain bullets
.452 caliber 200 grain bullets
.500 caliber 225 grain bullets

I'm hoping the shorter bullets will stabilize in the slow twist barrel.

I haven't shot this gun in about 10 years and I've always used FFG loose powder. Are there any advantages to using the power pellets or any of the black powder substitutes?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
You might get away with a short pistol bullet in a sabot but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high.

48 twist in a .54cal is sort of a compromise that will shoot a short conical or round ball acceptably.

BP substitute pellets are convenient but can be difficult to get complete ignition with percussion cap on a side lock.

I have never found any advantages to using black powder substitutes. Every tradional ML I have ever compared has always had better accuracy with black powder.

I had a .54cal renegade long ago. It was reasonably accurate to 100 yards with conicals. I assume you're trying to improve your MV and extend the range of your rifle through the use of lighter bullets and sabots. I'm interested to see how it works out for you.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
You might get away with a short pistol bullet in a sabot but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high.

48 twist in a .54cal is sort of a compromise that will shoot a short conical or round ball acceptably.

BP substitute pellets are convenient but can be difficult to get complete ignition with percussion cap on a side lock.

I have never found any advantages to using black powder substitutes. Every tradional ML I have ever compared has always had better accuracy with black powder.

I had a .54cal renegade long ago. It was reasonably accurate to 100 yards with conicals. I assume you're trying to improve your MV and extend the range of your rifle through the use of lighter bullets and sabots. I'm interested to see how it works out for you.

Thanks for the information. I've taken two elk with the muzzle loader 30 years ago when I lived in Idaho but that was with 400 grain Minies. It would shoot into 3" at 100 yards with 120 grains of FFg.

I'm actually trying to use the muzzle loader on an Air Force base here in California that has a special section for pig hunts that is lead free, shotgun or muzzle loader only.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Powerbelt bullets yet?

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
Have you tried Powerbelt bullets yet?

I've looked at them but with the plastic tip and the belt on the base, they are even longer than the other bullets. I don't think that they'll stabilize in my barrel.

Frank

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
I don't think Power Belt's are lead free any way.

Have you tried the MMP purple 54 cal. sabots with a 50 cal. bullet?

http://mmpsabots.com/store/purple-sabot/

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alleyyooper:
I don't think Power Belt's are lead free any way.

Have you tried the MMP purple 54 cal. sabots with a 50 cal. bullet?

http://mmpsabots.com/store/purple-sabot/

Big Grin Al

I ordered the red, purple and white sabots sample packs from MMP a couple of days ago and I'm just waiting for them to be delivered.

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not cheap, but these are what I'd opt for in your .54 if I had to go lead-free.

http://www.ballisticproducts.c.../productinfo/TXRB54/

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
May be next to impossible to get there, but start with real FFFG Black Powder.
80 grains up to maybe 100.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I have FFG at the house that I use for the full diameter bullet, if that doesn't work I'll try some FFFG.

The only problem is that I moved a few years ago and can't find my blackpowder accessories for the rifle.

Frank