New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want a flintlock Squirrel gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am planning to buy a Flintlock rifle in either a .36 cal or .40 cal. I have been thinking about one of Kibler’s SMR kits. Any of you build one? I have never had a flintlock but did build a percussion Lyman Great Plains rifle. What accoutrements will I need?

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Pace, are you aware of muzzleloadingforum.com? Lots of useful forums there for what you are seeking information about, and considerable discussion of those wonderful Kibler kits.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend is putting together a Kibler rifle. It's high quality, top of the line.

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Pace, are you aware of muzzleloadingforum.com? Lots of useful forums there for what you are seeking information about, and considerable discussion of those wonderful Kibler kits.

I have been a member there a while. Mostly inlines and some cap locks mostly. I joined the American Long Rifles forum (https://americanlongrifles.org). I found a Kibler .36 caliber with a 46” barrel and a walnut stock for sale but he didn’t really want to ship. He had it priced right. I ended up talking him into shipping it.

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That's just excellent, Pace. Beautiful rifle!

– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle, Pace. I find the tune going through my mind, "Come + listen to the story of a man named Jed,"

Posts: 4195 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or “In 1814 we took a little trip along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississipp”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed! I have the real McCoy here in 45 cal. Along w/ mold + powder horn that has been passed down in my family since 1846. I have pics that my mother put into a genealogy picture album showing every generation holding that rifle, since cameras were invented. Octagon bbl. W/ DST. Beautiful fiddle back maple w/ crescent butt plate. I will share some pics sometime.

Posts: 4195 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DAMN IT Pace, now I've got Johnny Horton's song stuck in my head! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Pace, hope to see some targets you have shot with your Kibler. The ALRA forum is a great resource for flint rifles, although I find it a bit too "clubby" for my taste.
Randy, good gracious, man, show us that rifle. What a treasure!

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A flintlock is great training for shot follow-through, due to the length of time between pulling the trigger and the ball exiting the barrel. It will improve your centerfire skills as well.

By the way, removing the stock from the barreled action, wrapping them separately, and boxing them up shortens the size of the carton and reduces the chances of a cracked stock. On really fragile stocks, like the one shown, I band them to a 2x4 or 2x6 inside the carton to increase rigidity.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote