ACCURATERELOADING.COM MUZZLELOADING BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Muzzleloading Big Game Hunting    Remington Model 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader - 2014 model

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Model 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader - 2014 model
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
I picked up one of these new contraptions for an upcoming hunt I drew a tag for.

Anybody have any experience with these yet? It uses a cut down .308 Win case to light 200 gr of black powder to reportedly push a 250gr sabot to 2,400 fps. (At least it does according to the marketing staff at Remington)

http://ultimatemuzzleloader.com http://ultimatemuzzleloader.com

I mounted a Leupold Ultimateslam 3-9x40mm with one of my favorite reticles for slow heavy moving chunks of lead and copper, the SABR. (I own 3 of them).

http://www.leupold.com/hunting...-9x40mm-illuminated/

I mounted it using Talley one-piece EXTRA LOW rings. Lapped them in to about 50%. I like the low profile with minimal clearance on the barrel and bolt handle... perfect.

My old muzzleloader (Knight Revolution II) was discontinued and rendered obsolete when Knight sold the business and then stopped making parts for it. Reportedly there were issues with the action and/or breach plug stretching which was causing misfires and accidental discharges. Eeker It served me well in 2009 (see picture below), but I haven't had the balls to shoot it since learning it may be a hazard to my health and those around me. But that's okay, because it has earned its rightful place next to that ol' buck on the wall.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at this thread about the Rem Ultimate and scroll through the inline board. This is the only real forum for guns like this.

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information!

I found these two discussions to be helpful and interesting:

http://dougsmessageboards.prob...ltimate-muzzleloader

http://dougsmessageboards.prob...mington-700-ultimate

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't looked to hard at the new Ultimate but may shortly as I just started a company to make high BC bullets for muzzleloaders. I'm mostly shooting the smokeless muzzleloaders these days but there is a big market in the inlines too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like everything about the Ultimate,except it does`nt use smokeless.If it was for smokeless or BPS it would be a home run.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got one for a customer of mine. mounted a Nikon scope on it. he asked me to shoot it and see if there will be any problems. i'm not at the shop so I don't have the exact numbers but it was crazy accurate but it didn't reach the marketing departments speeds.

Posts: 977 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7mmfreak:
Take a look at this thread about the Rem Ultimate and scroll through the inline board. This is the only real forum for guns like this.

That thread is scary. Makes me think twice about my desire to own one of these rifles.

Posts: 11909 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new Remington....when accountants control firearms manufacturing :-(

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread managed to scare the hell out of me. Instead of the Remington, I bought a used Johnson Ultimate ML. It is all jazzed up. It costs 3 times
What the Remington cost but what the hell.

Posts: 11909 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, in the long run, you get what you pay for. You did the right thing.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, a custom is the right route. There are several ways to do it, from cheaper to more expensive. I think all are a better option. I have on Remington 700ML that is converted for smokeless, one on a Pierce single shot, and a NULA M209.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Remington Ultimate. Cleaned the bore, floated the barrel, bedded the action, slapped a 2.5x8 Leupold on it, dumped some powder/sabot/slug in it and promptly shot 3 groups and all were under 1.5' at 100 yards.
This gun looks like it will shoot so I'm totally willing to adjust the BH209, try other bullet/sabot combinations and find the rifle's sweet spot.
I'm very happy so far!
Just mt 2 cents,
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few are getting good accuracy with 777, but it appears the most consistent accuracy is found with Blackhorn 209. The most consistent accuracy I've noted, amongst numerous testers, have been found using Blackhorn 209 combined with a Parker Production bullet and sabot. My personal rifle shoots the Parker 275BE extremely well, but others have found good results with the heavier 300BE.

Western Powders announced plans last September to work with Remington testing this new muzzleloader with heavier than their standard max 120 grain volume Blackhorn loads. They stated "Remington Ultimate Only" load data would be published once testing is completed. I've been loading mine in the 130 to 140 grain volume range, seeing several different bullets shoot well, with the Parker shooting markedly well. Others, including Bob Parker, have pushed the envelope further, and have posted some impressive groups with Blackhorn loaded to 160 grains volume. I will wait for Western to complete testing and publish the new data before I go any higher than my current loads.

A number of guns were found to have loose action screws, mine included, so it would be wise to give the rifle a good check for such details during the initial inspection. Missing such details may likely result in headaches down the road, if the barreled action is loose in the stock. I'd also recommend not going nuts on the number of times you re-prime the ignition cases. I've gone five firings so far, four re-primes, without issues. Remington recommends stopping at five re-primes, six firings. I would expect that if a new unfired ignition case was repeatedly chambered, but never fired, this may reduce the number of times it could be re-primed and fired, due to its sealing against the breech plug nipple. I would recommend staying on top of this by tossing any case if you see signs of failure to seal the breech. At any point down the road, you shoot the gun enough times to warrant replacing the breech plug, they are end-user replaceable and are not expensive. Plug and play, torqued 100 inch/lbs.

Good Luck Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend simply switched the sabot from the green Remington to the yellow TC 2-pedal and his groups improved. Goes to show that every rifle is different.

Yet another friend and I have some Parker 300 and 325 Match Hunter bullets ordered for use in our Ultimates. It will be somewhere north of a month before we get them. My accuracy is very acceptable but I like to tinker and I love the real benefit of increased BC with the Parker bullets.

I also have been shooting BH209 only.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find yourself a White Super 91,you can't go wrong.

Posts: 132 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 23 August 2014Reply With Quote