New
Find
Notify
Tools

This years buck
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Fun hunt, brutal getting him out of the hole he was in....I'm sore this morning. Took him with an inline I built on a Remington rolling block action.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Way cool! Congratulations

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Nice.
Would like to hear more details on the hunt and the gun.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Is that a Hepburn, SKB? Very fine buck.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found the very small piece of public land I took him on two years ago. I have seen some real monsters on this little piece of property in the past that is bisected by a highway. I pulled a tag for the area last year and never saw any bucks though my buddy did while he was bow hunting, he could not close the distance to get a shot. I had been mostly hunting closer to home this year but after helping my friend pack out his Elk close to home we decided to head back to this area and give it a go. The plan was for each of us to take one side of the road and walk parallel to it slowly until we ran out of light. The area is at most 3/4 of a mile long and I took the low side which varies between about 150 and 300 yards wide on a steep hill that is pretty open with some Aspen, Ponderosa pine and Juniper sprinkled throughout. I had just about covered the property and had not seen a single game animal and had one opening and about 100 yards of land left to hunt when I stepped out from behind the last Juniper there was a pretty decent buck looking at me....I was busted. I stepped back behind the tree and glassed him through the branches and determined he would be my best Mulie so far. He was nervous so I decided it was now or never. I had to climb higher on the rock out cropping for a clear shot and when I did I saw the second buck. No time to glass them again as they were beginning to head out. They were a bit over 100 yards away, mostly straight down as the hill is very steep. I dropped to a knee, lined up the sights and squeezed. The shot felt good and I thought I saw him stumble through the smoke. I scurried down the hill and he was quit dead. Upon cleaning him I found I had just clipped the top of the heart. 100 grs of triple seven and a 248gr powerbelt bullet which performed perfectly, fully mushroomed and found under the skin on the off side shoulder. The rifle is an inline conversion I built years ago on a Remington rolling block action. I converted the action to side-lever opening as well.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice buck and a great shot . 100yrds - open sights - your either lucky or good or both :-). Love those powerbelt bullets , they hammer hard !!!
Congrats

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1291 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Nice buck with a very cool rifle!

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 859 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
that's awesome! congrats.

are you hunting near boulder? i have a 4th rifle tag for GMU-38 for this november. should be a fun fly by the seat of my pants hunt.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote