New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Powerbelt Bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We used them last year on an elk hunt in New Mexico. Jorge and I used the 348 (?) gr weight and his nephew used the 295 gr. The elk shot with the 348 gr bullets went right down and performance was perfect. The 295 gr bullets didn't hit an elk so I can't comment on them. We used 130 gr of Pyrodex - two 50 gr pellets and one 30 gr pellet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What are the groups at 100 yards. I am thinking of trying them out.

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
retreever.

I was wondering if you have the great plains rifle or hunter. The reason I ask Is I tried my fathers powerbelts 295grn in my great plains rifle and they don't seem to shoot for crap out of my 1 in 60". But my fathers deer stalker they drive tacks.

Just wondering.
turfman

Posts: 133 | Location: Pa\Nj | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
turfman,

It is a Great Plains Rifle...Always wanted one..Entered the local sporting goods store about 20yrs ago and he had a used one on the shelf and I had him put it away on layaway..
Have shot approx 15 deer with it from patch and ball, maxiball, mini ball, sabot and now powerbelt...Try their aero one and maybe go up or down with weight of bullet..or powder vary in five grain loads...The 240 would tumble but the 295er fly true for me...
Turfman how close are you to me???email me...
Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not had the opportunity to try them on game yet, but they shoot great out of my TC hawkens 1/32 twist. 295 gr HPs. I shot one the other day into a frozen dirt bank to see how they how up. The slug penetrated 12" into solid frozen mudd. After several minutes of digging I retrieved a perfectly mushroomed bullet that appeared to have not come appart at all. I did not get a change to weight it, but it impressed me. The only thing that didn't make sense is that in the advertisments, they claim that the plastic belt separates soon after leaving the barrel, mine was still on the bullet.

Posts: 53 | Location: pittsburgh PA | Registered: 13 November 2002Reply With Quote