Find
Notify
Tools

Cabela's rolling block rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted
Has anyone seen/handled/shot the rolling block muzzleloader that Cabela's is offering? I've been pondering this rifle for a few years now, but have never been able to see one in person - none of the stores I have visited ever has one on hand.

I like how it looks, and I really like the rolling block action in general. I think this is a great idea for a muzzleloader, but I'm a bit hesitant to drop $300 on one without knowing more first. Any info would be great.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one a few years back, made by the Pedesoli company, this was before the 209 ignition system! This company does some very good work, inletting was the best I've seen on a production firearm! Mine had an octagon barrel and it was very accurate!
Things worked out good with it, my son wanted to get into black powder and I wanted an Encore!
We worked a deal and we're both happy with our BP rifles!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 1in24" Rate of twist tells me you must use sabot's or conicles , won't shoot round balls accurately , or light bullets , MHO , I have several Remington Rolling Blocks Cartridge .45/70 40/65 45/90 .43 all are deadly, two are gain twist The rest are 1in18" The .43 ? Not sure ? The faster the twist the larger the bullet must be to be accurate .That little rifle will kick your ass using heavy bullets .

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
concho;
The Rolling Block that I had was very accurate, shooting 240 grain jacketed bullets! I never tried patched round balls or bullets heavier than 240 grains!
The rifle had heft enough to where the recoil was minimal!

I disagree with you on your point that the recoil will be as severe as you describe!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info guys. I'm really curious about them. I'm not really worried about recoil, as my 45-70 comes in at 6.5 lbs. I'm more interested in reliability, accuracy, etc. It sounds like they are a quality piece for the money to me. The catalog pics sure look nice, but sometimes you can't tell it all from a picture and a description.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chuck for your view ! I never shot 240 Gr sabots , I'm an average build ,100 Grains T73F &300 Grain Conicals to me give excessive recoil , for others ? Thanks

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience, if it's made by the Pedesoli company it will impress you.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave;
My feelings exactly!
I was impressed with it!
I took it to the gunshop once for a new nipple and as soon as I walked through the door, the owner said, and I quote: That's a Pedersoli and I've got to take a look at it!
Yup, even he was impressed!

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I had one of these a few years ago and it was a disapointment.shot 18" high,about a 6" group at 50 yards.Took 2 months to get a answer to an email looking for wrenches to remove barrel.another two months to get them.Looked really good over the mantle,though.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

I don't have the rolling block, I have the Mortimer flintlock 54 caliber target model with tang peep sight. 2" groups @ 100 yards using my own cast round balls. Accuracy, fit and finish impressed me.

jb,

Pedersoli is from Italy. No speak English? Perhaps you would be better off dealing with a distributor here in the States? The frizzen pivot pin fell out. Dixon's fixed it while I waited at no charge.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
Hi all,
I got one of these for Christmas, and thought that I would revise this thread. I love the look and balance of the rifle. I have a few questions for the group.

1. I am planning to use the gun for hog, and muflon sheep here in Hawaii. Could anyone suggest a load for that application?
2. Also has anyone installed one of the tang mounted peep sights? I think it would give a very cool look, and improve my accuracy at 100 + yards… any thoughts

Thanks

To a point you can never have too much horsepower!
Hauptjager

Posts: 153 | Location: Hilo, Hawaii | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
Chuck,

jb,

Pedersoli is from Italy. No speak English? Perhaps you would be better off dealing with a distributor here in the States? The frizzen pivot pin fell out. Dixon's fixed it while I waited at no charge.
I tried everywhere I could find to get the breech plug wrench here in the states.no luck.no one but cabelas carried it,so no else had parts.I would have kept it but it shoot so poorly,I let someone think he was screwing me out of it.mine had the tapered bore,i.e.it got smaller toward the muzzle,works good for breechloader,maybe not for muzzleloaders???

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote