ACCURATERELOADING.COM MUZZLELOADING BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Muzzleloading Big Game Hunting    Killed a 250 lb Hog Friday with my Disc Elite

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Killed a 250 lb Hog Friday with my Disc Elite
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
Night Disc Elite .45cal 200 grn Hornady sst over 120 grns. Southeast of Ft. Leonard Wood Missouri.http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u52/doetail68/DSCF0043.jpg

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Congrats, looks like sausage gravy & biscuits for breakfast.

Tell us about the hunt.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

How do you like the 200 SSTs?

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks Swede and Reloader,

I hunted on a friends brand new property just south-east of Ft. Leonard Wood in Missouri. This area is loaded with hogs and the Army wants them out but they have such a foot-hold I doubt they will ever get rid of them.

We just got a ton of snow and freezing rain and everything was covered. Trees were all hanging over. The best bet was looking under ceader trees for sleeping hogs. (Spot and stalk) I had been busted three times that day before I slipped in on a big hog under a ceader tree in his bed. I shot him in the high right shoulder downward through both lungs were the bullet stoped in his left shield plate about 20" or more away from it's entry hole.

He let out a squal as loud as a bull elk but couldn't and didn't get up. He was an old fighter with his lower left tusk broken his right ear slashed in half that day or the night before and had lost his left eye and it was healed over.

Reloader...as far as I can tell they are good bullets. That weekend I killed the 250lb. hog a 70lb. hog and a 19" Corsican Ram with one shot each. Now mind you a 70lb. hog and Corsican Ram are not good test subjects but a realy big boar hog is. I recovered the bullets jacket but no lead. Broke through two ribs and killed great I think.

I shoot 120 grns of trip7 under this bullet. The shot on the big pig was about 30/40 yds the small hog and ram were about 70/80 yd. shots.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u52/doetail68/DSCF0064.jpghttp://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u52/doetail68/DSCF0039.jpghttp://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u52/doetail68/DSCF0067.jpg

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a heck of a hunt!

Ought to have some good meat to dine on.

Sounds like good bullet performance to me. I've been wondering how they'd hold up. I have two boxes of the 200SWs but I haven't tried them yet. I think I may try them soon from my Knight and my Savage and see how things go at the range.

On the fine dinning note, we used to just throw away big boars or give them to someone that liked them but, just a few weeks ago we had a guy give the camp a boar in the 250-300 range. After he was skinned like a deer the guys took the boar, placed him in a large chest, and filled the chest with water mixed with baking soda. They replaced the water and soda each day for a week then, cleaned him off really well. We rubed Tony's seasoning on him and smoked the entire hog on a huge smoker for about 24 hours with regular charcoal and hickory chips. That was some of the best pork I've ever had.

Every time I've been around boar cooking in the past it had a horrible smell while cooking but, that soda water must have really done the trick.

I like to take the young ones and inject the Cajun Injector roasted garlic marinade then, let 'em set in the fridge for a couple days. Smoke it on the pit and it makes for some fine eating.

Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He was an old fighter with his lower left tusk broken his right ear slashed in half that day or the night before and had lost his left eye and it was healed over.
Hey Ted, You got a nice old Trophy Hog. I prefer the ones with some "character" because it helps keep the memories fresh as we age.

Congratulations of a fine Kill.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your kind words. I had a great weekend.