ACCURATERELOADING.COM MUZZLELOADING BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Muzzleloading Big Game Hunting    .44 with sabot, .45 with sabot or Powerbelt for .50 Cal.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.44 with sabot, .45 with sabot or Powerbelt for .50 Cal.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted
What are the pros and cons for each of these: .44 with a sabot, .45 with sabot or Powerbelt?

Posts: 136 | Location: Southern Utah | Registered: 22 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I assume you mean a 50 cal loaded with those three different components?

Assuming quality sabots made by MMP or Harvestor, what I've found is that the 44 sabots are not as accurate as the 45 sabots. IMO this is due to the thickness of the petals. With the 44s there's more plastic inbetween the bullet and barrel and more room for error due to the elastic properties of the sabot itself. With the 45s the petals are not as thick to allow for the larger bullet, the fit is more snug, and that allows for more consistency while under the pressure during firing. Less room for error IMO

PBs load easy but form to the barrel upon firing. Some folks love them and some hate them. They are quite accurate in some MLers. The biggest complaint you'll hear with PBs is how soft they are and how they lack in penetration.

Hope that helped

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That's just what I needed.

Posts: 136 | Location: Southern Utah | Registered: 22 October 2006Reply With Quote