Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning mzl rifle scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
I have a caplock that was drilled for scope rings by a previous owner...I am considering putting the rings back on the gun and installing a rifle scope. I remember that the original scope on this gun had black powder residue "burned" onto the outside of the eyepiece.

How do you protect a scope from getting the powder residue/debris on the exterior? I'd rather not tape up a scope for the gun.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tape mine and keep a coating of "Rig" on the tape. Not pretty but keeps from burning through the tube. My rifle is a "White" in line. Scope does sit lower over the cap.

Hang on TITE !!

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
If your careful just use clear duct tape and no one will know out side of 10 feet.
If you don't want to use tape I have seen pipe insulation on scopes.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Pipe insulation is a good idea! Big Grin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
If you are using just a regular sidelock, the traditional way of protecting pretty much everything is to install a "flash cup"

https://www.trackofthewolf.com...x?search=flash%20cup

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/a...ds=flash+cup&x=8&y=7

One place to get them, but there are others as well, just try a couple of web searches.

Back in the 60's my father used to make them with a ball pein hammer and a block of lead and use a silver dime. That was a popular traditional native american method.

I should Write more but was at the dentist for 2+ hrs today so think I'll go to bed!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote