New
Find
Notify
Tools

2015 ML Antelope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been working on shooting and scouting a lot this year. This is the third antelope tag I have drawn in 30 years.
I went out scouting a couple weeks ago and I took this picture of what I think is my buck.

I got out there on the 22nd and sat in my blind on the 23rd and 24th. I got this picture of him on the water.

I decided that with all the competition this year I was going to get in the blind early. At 8:00 or so a nice little buck came in and I thought about it hard. I passed him and at 9:00 or so in came my buck. He came in from a different way and I was worried that he wouldn't actually give me a shot. After a long wait he came in, but too close. I had my sight set for 100 and he was at 89. At the shot I was slightly above him and straight on. The bullet hit his shoulder and turned and followed the spine and exited the flank. YANK the rug. I reloaded and watched for a minute and all of a sudden he was up. I could not believe my eyes that buck was up and walking (wobbly) I set my sight for 150 yards and put the rifle on the shooting sticks. I then used the range finder and when he got to 150 yards I was going to shoot again. He stopped quartering hard to the left. Then he turned his head and looked back at me. In my haste I didn't think of the wind. I had a solid 15 MPH wind that was a factor and I didn't know it yet. At the shot the buck was DRT. I gathered my stuff and walked out. That is when I realized that the first shot had been turned by the shoulder blade because of the angle. The second shot blew 4" to the left and hit the same shoulder and exited the neck.
I got it to the river and let it cool down in the river for a few hours and took a few more pictures. I used a gun I built from parts, I made my own Cross sticks. I used a bullet I made and paper patched my self, and I skinned it and gutted it with a knife I made last winter.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Real neat! Congratulations!

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's awesome, congrats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done!!!

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the antelope!

However nice your trophy is, " I used a gun I built from parts, I made my own Cross sticks. I used a bullet I made and paper patched my self, and I skinned it and gutted it with a knife I made last winter." is what I think is the extra special part of this experience you should feel proud about.

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7757 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A true home made hunt. Well done !!!!!

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron, congrats on a beauty of a speedgoat! Although Cabelas and Sportsman's Warehouse don't much like you..(I'd put up a pic on their picture board).

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
Congratulations on the antelope!

However nice your trophy is, " I used a gun I built from parts, I made my own Cross sticks. I used a bullet I made and paper patched my self, and I skinned it and gutted it with a knife I made last winter." is what I think is the extra special part of this experience you should feel proud about.

Mark

^^^
absolutely! that's awesome, congrats!

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EXTRA special. Too cool !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote