New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changing to Musket Nipple and caps
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
what size to fit a Italian Hawkin, a Zouave Buffalo hunter, both 58s and a Lyman Plainsgame 54?? Need to order as none locally, and the salemen just give me a funny look!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Track of the Wolf. They will know and have them in stock. Good insurance.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ray, your Buff Hunter didn't come with a musket nipple? I would ask the fellas at Lodgewood Guns. They should have what you need.

http://www.lodgewood.com/

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
scroll down to the bottom of the link

http://www.warrencustomoutdoor...mag-spark.html#chart

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
He needs one for his new Italian 58 Hawken. It has a #@11 now.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hawken shoots a 1/4x28..Hoping the Zouave Buffalo HUnter will also..converting both to Musket caps.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope the guys at the mL gun stores are wrong..The 58 Hawkin is a Investarms Italian and it and the 54 Lyman GPR shoot 6mmx75 nipples not 1/4x28. The Navy Arms shoots a huge musket Nipple, There is one in Buffalo Arms catalog but no number to go with it..What I need now is some 6mmx75 Musket nipples and whatever that big nipple is in the Navy arms Zouave..I have found nipples but not musket nipples...

Im beginning to think Id be better off to just have my gunsmith do all three to 1/4x28 and be done with it..Seems like most have regular and Musket nipples for that measurement.

the thing Im beginning to believe is ML parts and pieces are rare in Southern Idaho..No powder other than 777 and no musket nipples and several other things I need.. pissers

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

posted Hide Post
Hi everyone I am Larry/Will47

Dixie gun works sells them about $4.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Note that you will also be loosing some pressure/velocity going with the larger nipple and vent hole. Unless you are having ignition problems it may not be worth changing.

If you are having ignition problems: are you using real blackpowder?

Posts: 66 | Location: Port Crane, NY | Registered: 11 February 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
CharlieP can't you just add a few grains of black powder? A problem???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the musket nipples are 5/16-24 thd. and use "musket caps". You can get musket caps in either the winged style or standard style. The nice thing about the winged version is that you can just brush them off with the back of your hand and load another one quickly, if quickly actually relates to anything muzzleloading.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had a Navy Arms Zouve in the early 70's. They were made in Italy, and I don't think they used the same thread as the original Springfield Rifle Musket.

I sold mine in the mid 70''s, and went to a traditional flintlock rifle. Dixie Gun works woulld know what they take thread wise. The European rifle probably also uses a metric thread., and being a rifle would probably have a different threaded nipple than the sporterized Zouve that is the Buffalo Hunter. I used to shoot a Lyman Mine Ball in my Buffalo Hunter.

When you find out what you need for nipples get two of each. That way you'll never ruin or loose one... I might still have parts somewhere. You will probably need two different nipple wrenches. I know that I still have my Lyman 575213OS mould blocks.The Civil War powder charge was 60 grains of 2FF black powder. I lubed my minies with Crisco.

Shot me a PM if you want to buy my Mouild blocks I am using the handles for orher things. I also have a Thompson Center 50 caliber Maxi Bullet Mould, and a I think a 54 caliber Lyman round Ball block .530.

My Midway catalog list all of these moulds at $62.00 a piece. Old age and bad health are stinkers.

Swarf

Posts: 48 | Location: Elyria, Ohio USofA | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Track of the wolf should have everything you need.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/...Magnum+Musket+Nipple

Then make sure that the hammer clears the cap. You may need to open the hammer up.

Musket nipple come with and without the Hat brim, Kind of depends on what you like!

The hotter spark may change POI.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

posted Hide Post
Look Ray: your a big boy now, and real men shoot a flintlock...

By the time you screw around changing nipples you could have just purchased another box of whatever type of caps you don't have. The cap lock was only around from about 1820 until the end of the Civil War, 1865. I think that you and I were both born about then...

Don't be a woos!

Posts: 48 | Location: Elyria, Ohio USofA | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im a cap lock kind of guy..Its been years since I posted on the ML thread as I sold all my muzzle loaders except my 54 cal Lyman Great Plains rifle that I have a 30 and a 26 inch barrel for..It shoots pin holes so I kept it and since mounted a receiver sight with the disc out..Ive only shot whitetail with it, mostly on culling operations I will shoot a couple on a walking hunt in the thick stuff...If I ever draw a bull elk tag in my home state of Idaho primitive hunt, I will use that fine rifle..

BTW Ive shot the flint locks a good bit and they are fun, The late Tony Barnes of Twin Falls Id. made me hunt rock chucks and coyotes with one of his custom front loaders, they were beautiful and they shot fantastic..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120