New
Find
Notify
Tools

A newbie at blackpowder: What gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have hunted a lifetime with centerfire rifles. Have decided for several reasons to give muzzleloading a try, not the least being the interesting hunt tags that muzzleloaders can obtain in Oregon. With that being said, I will probably hunt primarly deer. The question is simple or at least I think it is: What are a couple of the best brands of rifles I can buy? Thank anybody for the advise they provide

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now you've opened a can of worms! I'm sure you will get different answers based on a few questions, like...How serious are you? What is your budget? Do you like the concept of "traditional" muzzleloaders, or is an in-line ok for your purposes?

For my purposes, I wanted to get in fairly inexpensively just to see how it worked. It put the fun back in shooting! I started with an inexpensive CVA Staghorn magnum and some Pyrodex pellets, regular shotshell primers, and some Hornady packaged bullets and sabots. Whole thing was right at $100. I got hooked, and the rifle shot very well to boot. Since I started reading a lot beforehand, I just used 50/50 Simple Green and water to clean and away I went.

The last rifle I bought was still a CVA, but the closed breech Kodiak Magnum, sort of like the Omega. Same excellent performance, and easier to clean.

There are some here who wouldn't have a CVA if it was given to them as a paddle, but they work for me and I do not have a need for shoving all the powder down the tube that it will hold, so they are great for me. Others prefer the Encore for it's versatility, still others prefer the smokeless powder option of the Savage.

My advise is to go put your hands on one and see whay fits your needs, and budget best, then decide yourself. I happen to live within 10 miles of both Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop, so I had the luxury of doing that. If you have a friend that has one, go see if you can shoot theirs. That's my advise.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to go the traditional route, it's hard to beat the Lyman Great Plains rifle. It is designed for round ball shooting. If you are going to shoot conicals, they do make a Hunter version of the Great Plains that has a faster twist for conicals.

Great rifle and a "blast" to shoot.

Posts: 109 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, thanks for your response. I have dealt with custom centerfires for decades. I don't necessarily want to go that route with muzzleloaders, but I want a topend rifle. I plan to just buy one (I have been down that road before) and I want it to be as nice as they come. Money isn't really an object, but quality and something I can be proud of is. Hope that helps and thanks again. Doug

one of us
posted Hide Post
I second the Lyman GPR suggestion as a great starting place. That and more are available here at Track of the Wolf

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Read the game laws of your state pretaining to Muzzle loading rifle. That will give you an Idea as to what is legal and what isn't. Then like others said how much do you want to spend, keep in mind you will need other things like powder masures, short starter,powder and bullets.
Then do as others said go where they sell several brands and shoulder try them. If it is cold where you live during ML season take you favorite pair of gloves when you try them. The Omega by T/C is a favorite by many but many complain about the small trigger guard and have went useing other types of hand wear.
Your the one spending the money get what fits you and appeals to you.
Also there are some new models by several MFG's due to hit the market in about May.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
SC,

Here is a summary of the Orygun rules from the CVA website:

OREGON

Minimum Rifle Caliber: 40 caliber for deer and pronghorn antelope, black bear, cougar, or deer; 50 caliber for bighorn sheep, Rocky Mountain goat or elk
Minimum Handgun Caliber: prohibited
Legal Projectiles: yes
Are Pyrodex Pellets Legal? yes
Are Scopes Legal? no
Minimum Barrel Length: none
Ignition System Restrictions: percussion and flintlock
Are In-line Rifles Legal? yes
Special Muzzleloading License Required? tags with 100M indicate muzzleloader hunt. Cost to enter controlled hunt drawing is resident $11, nonresident $176
Other Muzzleloader Rules: Only a legal muzzleloading rifle is permitted when hunting during the controlled muzzleloader seasons, and you may not possess any other firearm while hunting within an authorized muzzleloader area. A hunter successful in drawing one of the controlled muzzleloader deer tags shall not hunt in any general deer season or other 100 series hunts. Only iron sights are allowed.
Season Information: Deer: There are 11 different controlled deer hunts for muzzleloader only. They usually begin in early October and are available through mid-Dec. Applications must be made by May 15. Elk: There are 11 different controlled elk hunts for muzzleloader only. They usually begin as early as Aug. 1, and continue by unit until the end of the year. Special Note: the Oregon Department of Fish & Game surveyed over 12,000 muzzleloader license holders for input on what could be significant changes in muzzleloader hunting regulations in 2000 or 2001. There is concern among game mangers that advancements in muzzleloader technology have shifted additional advantages to muzzleloader hunters. Prior to hunting, be sure to check for possible regulation updates in 2000.
For More Information Oregon Department of Fish & Game P.O. Box 59 Portland, OR 97207 Phone (503) 872-5270 www.odfg.state.or.us
------------------------------------------
Also you have to use bore size bullet, i.e. no sabots. If you are interested in an Ultra Light Arms M90 .50, I know where you can find one. It comes with aperture rear sight which is the best non-scope option.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can use either traditional style percussion or inline percussion but the breech cannot be a closed breech so you are limited to striker type of inline percussion rifles. Since you are also limited to bore size conicals I would recommend a White if you can find one. There are several that use the striker type bolt and they are the absolutely best conical shooters available. White is almost non existent but Doc White still has some available. try whitemuzzleloading.com.

Posts: 207 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank everyone for the excellent assistance. I now have some places to go and I'm off and running. Will keep you posted on my progress. Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I know for sure is that both of my Thompson Centers go off in the pouring rain. .50 call would be my first choice no matter what brand. Just my two cents.

"If this is America why must you press 1 for english"???

Posts: 96 | Location: central missouri | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffffg:
quote:
Originally posted by ffffg:
this is getting pretty close to the top of the food chain if you like rock locks.. http://www.flintlocks.com/ http://www.flintlocks.com/http://www.flintlocks.com/[/URL] most usually start with a caplock or maybe centerfire but for deer this will be the ultimate success story and the most diffucult to master, but using a first rate quality rifle.. i would pick a rifle that uses the virginia lock as its the most dependable.. dave..

hunter, blackpowder shooter, photographer, gemology, trap shooter,duck hunter,elk, deer, etc..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another thing I just thought of; since sabots are not allowed (or at last information I have they were not) you should consider that some rifles with the QLA (quick Load rifling removed section at the front of the barrel) do not shoot conical bullets as well as rifles that do not have this system. T/C rifles almost all have it in the newer designs and some have had to remove it to get good accuracy with conicals (the sabots seems to shoot just fine with it).

Posts: 207 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mr. Cat: I agree the percussion Lyman Great Plains in .54 with a round ball twist is an excellent place to start. But it sounds like you are looking for a much nicer rifle. Check with Joe and Suzy at the Gun Works in Springfield. They build some very nice rifles, and they also have a good stock of new and used production and custom guns on hand. Think the URL is www.thegunworks.com.
Bill down in the Rogue Valley

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I would look around for one of the earlier model Knights if you choose to go the inline route. The Wolverine was a pretty good #11 rifle.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once again, thank all of you for this info. This type of threat demonstrates have valuable this site can be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Lyman and have had good success with my Great Plains Rifle flintlock .54, but the older I get the less I care for its hooked buttplate. Lyman's Trade Rifle has a somewhat flatter buttplate and has the comprimise 1:48 twist which allows you to use roundball or conicals. A cousin of mine has used one for many years with satisfaction. Their more modern Deerstalker has a flat butt and a thin rubber pad and can be had in stainless if you like. More details here http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/rifles.htm Thompson/Center used to make an almost endless variety of sidelocks but these days you'll have to shop the used rack.

One of Us
posted Hide Post