New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knight 209 accuracy issues
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys, I could use some help..As stated, i have a Knight Wolverine 209 (factory, not replacement) .50cal, We have always used 100 grs of "Shockey", 240Gr. Hornadys, w/ green sabots. Accuracy was great! Now, all of a sudden, accuracy is shit, nothing is consistent. Nothing has changed, any help?? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 98 | Location: N.MI to NE,IN | Registered: 02 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scope went south? Need more info to help.

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not the scope..have the same issue when shooting irons.

Posts: 98 | Location: N.MI to NE,IN | Registered: 02 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
Check the action screws that attach the stock to the action, had this same issue once...on e tightened the groups were much better

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I take the stock off periodically to give it a thorough cleaning (probably 2x a year). So unless they need to be specifically torqued, then that is not the issue. All responses appreciated up to this point!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would try a new can of powder, assuming you are using the same can as from a few years back. I am told that black and the syns have a significantly shorter shelf life and use life than smokeless.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up some pellets and loose powder last night, along with new bullets. Going to start from scratch and see what I can come up with. I did not know that about the life span of the powder though..it was pretty old!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a MK85 that looked pretty good down the barrel. I started to clean int and thought I had been taken. It looked like a mile of dirt road in that thing. I scrubbed it and scrubbed it and it started to look a little better. I got out the JB bore paste and put 700 licks down that barrel. Then I took it to the range and put JB on my paper patches and shot several. It looks smooth and perfect now. It shoots awesome. I am sure that what I was seeing was a build up of plastic and lead. I would try cleaning the gun and lapping the barrel with JB's or equivalent.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! The barrel has always been cleaned with bore butter, but I can honestly say that I have not cleaned it to the extent that you are speaking of, it will not hurt to do it though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know this might sound harsh but your cleaning with Bore Butter is not working and in my opinion has failed. I think you need to start over with your barrel. Scrub it down and remove all the plastic, lead and bore butter. Bore butter is the death of barrels.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't sound harsh at all.Why do you say that bore butter is the death of barrels? I am not being a smart ass, I am genuinely interested and want to learn why it may not be good for certain applications.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that Bore Butter leaves a residue that not only causes inaccuracy, but attracts everything else like plastic and powder residue. Besides it is a b**ch to get out.

I have gone the JB route before on a neglected barrel and it worked great. I only use Blackhorn 209 powder now. It works for me.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
OH MY GAWD the bore butter thingie.
"Bore Butter is great stuff. Don't let anyone bull you. If you clean your gun properly B.B. will protect the bore as good as anything on the market. The barrel has to be completely dry first how ever.
I've used it since it came out and still do. Good patch lube too and great for topping off revolver cylinders."

But keep in mind bore butter its self is not a cleaner.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beaverfever:
Doesn't sound harsh at all.Why do you say that bore butter is the death of barrels? I am not being a smart ass, I am genuinely interested and want to learn why it may not be good for certain applications.

Many people believe that they can season a barrel like a cast iron pan. The problem with that thinking is a pas is iron and a barrel is steel.
The Bore butter will build up in your barrel like seasoning on a cast iron pan. But that will not help your accuracy one bit. Bore Butter is good lube for bullets or over powder wads. Hell I use it my self. But when it comes to cleaning I use soap and water. I use paper patched bullets so no plastic or lead fouling is in my barrel.
Do your self a favor and use the Bore Butter on projectiles and use a good gun lube in the barrel after you get it properly cleaned.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I have a Knight wolverine II I bought used it was full of plastic took me hours to get it clean with a brass brush.

I bought mine to scope but never have shot it since. I have killed many deer with my MK85 and have split many ram rods trying to push the second sabot down the barrel for a second shot on the second standing deer. You might want to try a different brand of sabot's.

I have since went to shooting a CVA Acura 50cal got a nice doe at 175 yards in BP season.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I started from " square one" so to speak. Went out and bought some 777 (50 gr pellets), 300 gr. Bullets, and 2 pellets and some uncle bucks (I think), solvent cleaner. Went out about 12 days ago, and tried it out, at 100 yds I can get about 2.5", 3 shot groups. Not that great but much better than it was. Not finished with the load yet but I managed to whack a nice 7 point saturday morning. Thanks for the responses.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you did not specify what bullets you bought try a different sabot harvester or MMP short sabots. You could also check out parker ballistic bullets they have a combo pack of three weights. My disc went south last year and have not figured it out. Got a savage to play with now.