THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot timer for CMP practice?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,
I want a timer I can use to practice CMP events.

It would need to activate, delay, then beep, go a time (say 20 seconds) then beep again. I would need to be able to program the time. I would want it to display the time elapsed or remaining time for slow fire events that I could read on the firing line while shooting.

All the timers I have found are for run and gun events, they are not suitable for this.

A loud lower frequency beep would help because my hearing is damaged and I don't hear high frequency computer beeps.

That is a tall and very picky list. Does anything come close? No smart phone apps please.

Thanks,
Scot

Posts: 508 | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
actually most of the "run and gun" timers will do most of what you want...activate, delay, beep, programmable time, beep. Competition electronics is what I use. For slow fire I use a basic kitchen countdown timer that I have disabled the beep on (to use at match as well)

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, I am not sure what you mean by CMP so I will address the NRA pistol match standards. I assume that you do not need a timer for the 10 minute slow fire (50 yard) event.
You say you don't want a smart phone app. even though such an app. gives you the required range commands and the cadence in which these commands are given.
This leaves the timed and rapid fire (25 yard) events, which require a 20 second and 10 second timer. I have a "pistol match timer", which is clockwork and looks like a regular kitchen timer. You should be able to Google it or find it on Amazon or EBay. Timed/rapid fire is selected via a switch, and then the clock is "wound" by rotating the dial knob clockwise. You can rotate it fully to the "hold" position, or 3/4 of the way which will run the timer but still give you time to put it down, pick up your gun and get ready to shoot when the timer "dings" to signal the start. It will "ding" gain when the time it up.
Hope this helps,
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter

Like one of these from Freeland. Cool

quote:
NRA pistol match standards

Posts: 6385 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn Rich! How old is that??!!

Mine is like this (scroll down to the big picture):

https://www.google.com/search?...mgrc=63o2bZ9q5SGmXM:
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter

Yours looks more purpose built. The freeland is generic. I'm not sure how old it is.

Rich

Posts: 6385 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post