THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sporting Clays Shooters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beretta 686 and White Onyx in .20 gauge and my pet Remington 1100.

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmm. I have only shot sporting clays once. It was a huge course with a golf cart provided to travel to the various stations. With the wide variety of shots that I saw, would the 20ga. not be a disadvantage? I must confess that I shoot trap with my 20ga Rem 1100 but I know at what distance I will be breaking the targets. With the SC clays course that I shot I did not know that.
Any thoughts?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
During summer friend and I shoot weekly. Friendly shooting, very non-competitive between each other but striving for weekly improvement.
I shoot Beretta Black Onyx 12. He shoots a Beretta A400 20ga. Mine gets cleaned weekly. His starts clean and gets cleaned in September.
Wonderful course in Polson MT.

Posts: 312 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot something like 60,000 registered targets since 1992. And I don't shoot nearly as much as the "devoted" Master Class guys.
I'm competitive in AA class, but when hunting season starts, sporting comes second.
I've shot them all: Beretta Autos (303,391,400),Beretta 686, Beretta DT-10L, Krieghoffs, Gambas, Perazzis and some I've forgotten- but have landed on a older set of high rib Perazzi MX-3 Special Trap Guns, one set up for box birds with fixed chokes and one for sporting clays with screw in chokes. Both with recoil reduction (Soft Touch and ISIS).

Posts: 79 | Registered: 10 September 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking of getting back into clays. Just started looking at guns. Not sure if I'll go O/U or semi-auto.

Posts: 20074 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beretta SO5 32".
Very good friend was a career competitor in sporting clays. Teaches now and writes some articles.
He had a safe full of competition shotguns.
Sold me one.. Way more gun than my skill at this event.
Fun to shoot none the less.
When I hang it up I plan to become more engaged in this sport.
Have break out my old MEC 600 Jr's if shooting alot.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I've been thinking of getting back into clays. Just started looking at guns. Not sure if I'll go O/U or semi-auto.
One way to look at it, Biebs, is sporting clays is supposed to be duplicating hunting scenarios - the rabbit, the rising teal, crossing doves, etc. - so taking your hunting shotgun is totally appropriate. I've shot rounds with my trusty Winchester pump gun.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My LGS has a used Beretta 390 ST on the rack for cheap, so I'm set. He also had an absolutely pristine Japanese-made Auto 5 that I had to have as well :-)

Posts: 20074 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just saw that this thread has resurfaced after several years and noted my first post was back in 2013. Man, how time flies.

I've since become passionate about both skeet and sporting clays. I'm fortunate enough to have a club nearby where I can shoot all the shotgun disciplines. I generally spend two days a week on the range. I'll travel several times a year to various regional ranges here in the South West.

Been through a lot of guns. For sporting clays and its variants, I finally settled on a K-80, 30", with a flat, tapered rib and a variety of chokes.

I also have a K-20, 30", also with the usual host of chokes. It's my main skeet gun, but it's deadly @ 5 stand if I do my part.

I have several field guns which I use frequently; Benelli Cordoba's in both 12 and 20, two Beretta O/U's and a M12 20ga and a M42 410. I also have a sweet little Parker Repro in 28ga, which is pure joy to shoot.

I try to shoot all my field guns several times during the year and have a blast doing so. For me, the whole shotgun thing has been a wonderful recreational pursuit and I enjoy it greatly.

All this has lead me to shooting Argentina every year for the last decade or so. Can't find a better way to enjoy what a fine shotgun was meant to do than to take it to the fields of South America and experience what is arguably the best wingshooting on the planet.

Best to all you shotgunners.......!!!!

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use an older Lightning Browning Sporting Clays Edition

KJK

Posts: 676 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Honestly!

A shotgun shell has hundreds of pellets!

Not just one.

How can you miss?? rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66717 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because the target isn't standing still!

KJK

Posts: 676 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo clap

Posts: 18517 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
Because the target isn't standing still!

I shot competitive trap 2 years.

One year I had a 99 average, the next I had a 99.5 average.

Skeet I always shot with a full choke 410!

I only missed a few targets because I fell asleep! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66717 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trap?

I respect excellence in ANY field of endeavor. If one is going to pursue a skill, one might as well be as good as one can be. And it's appropriate to properly recognize excellence wherever it may be.

But the game of trap is, well, trap. It's without a doubt the easiest shotgun game out there. Ray Charles once carded a 97 from the 27 yard line with a 20ga choked I/C for crying out loud.

And given the proliferation of all the other shotgun sports available today, no one takes trap seriously anymore. No one. Smiler

And....when was the last time anyone saw a trap squad that wasn't made up of 5 grumpy guys at least 75 years old who haven't smiled or warmly greeted another human being in the last 15 years?

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post