THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sporting Clays Shooters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any Sporting Clays shooters visiting this forum ?

What shotgun are you using these days ?

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been shooting a Win 101 Pigeon Grade XTR, 32" barrels since the late 80's. Could have close to 200,000 rounds through it, on it's second stock. Can't kill it and it still shoots better than I do

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Browning Citori 525 12 gauge Sporting with 30" barrels, ported, Briley chokes. Also shoot the Benelli Performance Shop SuperSport 12 gauge with 30" barrel, Briley chokes.

I've had a keen interest in the raised-rib sporting guns by Caesar Guerini. I can't justify parting with the cash until I have an opportuity to shoot one!

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beretta AL391 Sporting w a 30 inch barrel in 12 gauge and have the same in a 20 with a 28 inch tube.

Posts: 57 | Location: Parker Texas | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Safari James

I'm thinking about Brileys for my 525, are they worth it? Any problems?

GF

Posts: 12 | Location: Where the Quabog flows | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
K20 with Briley chokes. Wish I shot as well as it does....

Posts: 156 | Registered: 06 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Edod,
Pleasure to meet a fellow K20 shooter. I have the standard receiver, nothing fancy. And I just had the 28 gauge barrels fitted to my K20 about 3 weeks ago. It is a lot of fun to shoot.

The .410 barrels on the other hand are quite a challenge for me to shoot with the dinky little sporting clays shells (1/2 oz clay loads). So frustrating nilly

Any wisdom you can share about the type of shells and chokes you prefer for the K20 for different bores will be greatly appreciated ?

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great sport. Mostly shoot a Browning Cynergy 12 bore 32" sporting clays model. We have one of the toughest courses in the USA (starts @7000' and is uphill for the first 1/2) and our mean old club President moves a few of the traps every few weeks. Range was built by the county and all we pay for is birds and machine upkeep.

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/club.php/2078

We also have trap and I shoot about 200/week (100 clays, 100 trap) If we get 10 shooters/week, that's a lot. A state with no people and lots of natural gas is good.

I can manage a lot of 24s @trap but have yet to break 75 on OUR clays course. It's tough and a lot of 7/8 oz. handloads have gone through my thrice rebuilt RCBS Grand.

Posts: 61 | Registered: 02 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perazzi MX2000S 32" with chokes and tapered rib, a very well balanced outfit.

Posts: 119 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've played a lot of different shooting games from archery and muzzleloader competition to combat handgun, rifle silhouette to long range handgun silhouette. I've also shot more than my share of trap and skeet. But there is no game like sporting clays... and the various off-shoots - 5-Stand, FITASC, Super Sporting, Compact, Make-a-Break, etc. In my opinion the mental game is the most interesting in all the shooting sports. The variety of targets is amazing and infinite... as is the challenge. Just in the last ten years the difficulty of targets in competition has increased tremendously (nothing flys straight anymore -everything has a twist or turn to it), yet scores just keep going up as shooters get better.

I burnt out on the other shooting sports (and sometimes the people), but sporting clays is the closest thing to an addiction as I've ever had. What a wonderful game. Very often while shooting sporting clays I blurt out, "This is too much fun to be legal much longer!". (I mean it to be humorous and hopefully there is no truth in that statement).

What a great game and I'm very thankful for it. I'm packing up for the CA State Championship next week and will hopefully get in some much needed practice tomorrow.

There are a lot of great guns out there. I cut my sporting teeth on a Beretta 686 and then wore out two 682's. More recently I've been shooting a Super Sport K-80 with 32" barrels and Ti factory chokes. It has a Kick-Eez to get the LOP correct, I changed the front bead from the big glowing Hi-Viz I put on to a much less distracting brass "mid-bead" - other than that it's original and plain. As heavy as it is... it's not for everyone, but I'm not exactly average size so I'm really happy with it. So far it's been much more reliable than the Beretta's and I hope to get many, many more years out of it.

Chips and smoke,
Kyler

Posts: 2503 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browning Ultra Trap Plus
Fixed (3/4 an Full) Chokes - I compensate with different shot shells
Fiocchi Official Trap #8 24g for general use
Cheddite Mach 3 - Free Shot # 8 1/2 24g for close shots (sub 25m)
Fiocchi TT One #7 1/2 28g for long stuff, quartering rabbit etc...
For trainings - Cheddite Universal Trap #8 and # 7 1/2 24g
Experiment with others

Wil be shooting at Alpe-Adria GP F.I.T.A.S.C. Sporting on August 17th and 18th. in Tolmezzo (Italy) 200 birds in 2 days...my first Int. shoot.

Posts: 2026 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I usually shoot skeet, but have shot several rounds of "wobble trap" and exactly one round of sporting clays. I shot my skeet gun (with skeet chokes), and shoot the birds fairly quickly so I did not feel at any disadvantage. I shot a 70. I think I can improve on that with some more experience, but I honestly see no need to us a trap gun or trap chokes. I may give up a few birds but did enjoy the game. A bit pricey though!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
12 ga Beretta 391 Techny's gold sporting, 30 inch barrel,12 ga Beretta 687 silver pigeon II, 32 inch barrels, 28 ga Beretta silver pigeon II. 30 inch barrels. All of these are great guns and shoot better than I shoot.

Posts: 94 | Location: Hastings, Mn | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I returned to recreational shotgunning about 7 years ago after a 30 plus year hiatus thanks to a guy I met at a gun show and who has since become a very good friend and hunting partner.

I started with a Beretta SPII 687 and have since moved on to a K80 Pro Sporting and a Guerini Magnus Sporting in 20ga., both with 32" barrels. They are great guns, well beyond my skill level, but I am having a wonderful time trying to catch up.

I just moved to Prescott, Az where I found a great shotgun range. It has skeet, trap, wobble trap, doubles trap and 5 stand all going at the same time, 4 days a week. Great place to shoot. I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time there.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Currently shooting a Guerinni "Challenger" model with factory chokes, 32" bbl. Have a MX20 w/Briley chokes, 29.5" bbl and a Browing 625 28ga, factory chokes, 30" bbl. The MX20 has 410 chamber mates but I don't usually shoot 410. All are just fine but thinking of trading the MX20.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 930 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post