THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unfair advantage?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
https://www.facebook.com/USARCMP

So the military can go out and recruit the best shooter at Camp Perry? I am happy for Keith, but!

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure can. AMU has a well planned recruiting system also. You know you are going to AMU before you enlist.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, Keith will go in as a 12T rating. Being a reserve he can probably retain his civilian job and take advantage of pay, medical, free shooting equip, supplies, and travel.
I certainly don't blame Keith at all, but how will this practice affect the civilian teams?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both AMU and Reserve team members have dual duty- to shoot competitively and instruct units in advanced tactical marksmanship. often serving in combat theaters for deployed units training needs.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well, there is the idea that you are shooting for your country instead of as a hired gun to be considered...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
well, there is the idea that you are shooting for your country instead of as a hired gun to be considered...

If you want to think of it that way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I look at is as follows: How does this inprove the combat effectiveness of our troops? If it does, then it is money well spent. If not, the utility should be questioned. How many new recruits will Keith's membership bring?
The military has traditionally been a place where talented athletes could spend the time to train to be the best they could be, without worrying about the expenses involved. Shooting and Modern Pentathlon come to mind as examples. I am sure the publicity involved in competing at an international and Olympic level was favorable, but not sure about the relationship between that and combat effectiveness.
I remember with some dismay the fact that some National Guardsmen refused to serve in Iraq on the grounds that they didn't sign up to actually go overseas and fight!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch;

Recruited shooters have ben a standard in the services for a long time. Nowadays, the Army is the only one which actively pursues talent to wear the uniform but utilizes them to win for the Army plus and probably more importantly provide training and equipment development for the tactical majority.

The USMC rotates shooters from the USMC team (TDA) to units individually. As far as I know, the USN and USAF don't do either- just allow PTDY to shoot on their own dime.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HPMaster:
Butch;

Recruited shooters have ben a standard in the services for a long time. Nowadays, the Army is the only one which actively pursues talent to wear the uniform but utilizes them to win for the Army plus and probably more importantly provide training and equipment development for the tactical majority.

The USMC rotates shooters from the USMC team (TDA) to units individually. As far as I know, the USN and USAF don't do either- just allow PTDY to shoot on their own dime.

Just wasn't aware of this practice. I don't blame Keith at all. Yes he was in the Marine Corp. in years past.