THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here ever direct a match?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It's been years since I shot in anything like a formal match, and I am thinking of trying to organize an iron sight rifle match here:
steel at 100 (offhand), 200 (sticks) and 300 (prone or sticks).
Hoping to bring out some milsurp shooters as well as some BPCR shooters.
No hurry, as I will have to figure out how to acquire gongs for each distance.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16317 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, not exactly what you're looking for but in the past, I would put on turkey shoots for local charities. I remember one when we were benefiting the volunteer fire dept. + this old man shows up with his M1 Garand. He shuffles to the line, drops, rolls, + assumes prone w/ sling; pow, pow, pow. 3 right in the 10. Never said a word, just got up, got his turkey + went home. That reminds me of a story attributed to Jack O'Conner in the 30s during the depression. He + his family were living out of their car + he sees a sign about a turkey shoot. So he pays his dollar + goes to the 100 yds. line where everyone is standing + he notices this kid on the ground ready to fire-prone. So he says, Are you gonna let him fire prone? + the judge says, you can fire-prone too if you want to. Jack says, I'll take 10 tickets.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great stories, Randy!
Speaking of turkey shoots, a muzzleloader club I was a member of many years ago in Southern Oregon had real live turkey shoots.
The target was a turkey leashed by one foot behind a big log, so mostly just his head stuck up. For each ticket, you got one offhand shot with patched round ball at 20 rods. If the bird was so much as knicked, a guy standing behind the safety of a huge old ponderosa with a very sharp hatchet in his hand would step out after the line was closed and lop off the bird's head. He would then walk down to the line and hand the lucky shooter his turkey, still flapping.
I doubt this kind of old-fashioned shoot goes on much anymore, thanks to all the pantywaists out there.
Shinin' times, we used to say back when buckskinning was still a thing.

hilbily

– John Green, author

Posts: 16317 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True. I have been to a couple of those vintage style turkey shoots but it's been many years ago. That took skill. Today if you see a turkey shoot at all they are using a shotgun to shoot a paper target + the closest pellet to the center is the winner. I won't even attend those.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agree. Seems like everything traditional gets dumbed down with the passage of time.
A sideline of the turkey shoot was a "meat shoot" -- packages of bacon and sausage in butcher paper dangling from strings in the breeze. Again, one ticket, one shot, patched round ball at 10 rods offhand. Tough!

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True. 1 ticket, 1 shot. You could stay on the line as long as you wanted but you still had to pay for each shot. It was a great money maker. Kinda reminds me of that ld vintage Beverly Hillbillies episode where Mr. Drysdale takes them out to the skeet range + they're using their cap + ball revolvers. Jethro says, aw this aint nothing. back home we shot wasps out of the air. You lost points if you shot a bee though + it's hard to tell the difference when they're coming at you out of the sun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have ran some matches and organize a lot of training.

The more people you have coming the more work it is.

You well need help if it gets more then 10 people coming.

You well need a OIC some RSO's registration people, score keepers.

If there is any amount of prizes you well need rules and tie breakers. The more expensive the prizes the more stuffy people get.

You could be creating yourself a lot of work.

Posts: 19326 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pdog. I may be getting NRA RO training here shortly.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve run more than a few club level USPSA matches.

Never dealt with prize tables or such.

Having a set of rules already there helps a lot.

If you want to look at something, check the USPSA competition rules- they also have a pretty comprehensive match organization section.

The USPSA rules are probably more comprehensive than you want, but it will give you a start to flesh out your ideas. The critical thing is to ensure every competitor is treated the same.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks CR.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ran highpower/LR/Palma club matches for a number of years, a decade or more ago. Critical to any gathering is an accurate and complete match program - especially if you have a course of fire that's unconventional.

Good on ya for stepping up to run a match!

Mark

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've called Metallic Silhouette matches, Highpower Rifle matches, Bullseye Pistol matches and turkey shoots. I learned that a match director must be well versed on the range rules and safety. You also have to be assertive and thick skinned. The ones that really tested you were the Shriners Bullseye pistol matches.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post