THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USPSA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After shooting my first two matches, I am hooked. Anyone else here shooting USPSA? I shoot single stack with a Sig 1911, and will also get into production with a M&P 9MM Pro, 5".

My accuracy is good, but the speed is poor and most likely will never improve much, as the 73 year old bones just don't move like the youngsters I complete with. Big Grin

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, stay focused on accuracy and practice outside of matches. I find many folks just shoot the matches and then are disappointed in their progress. I don't know what club you belong to or what facilities you have, but plates are a good training and practice tool, as are cardboard silhouettes (if your club has the frames). If not, you can have someone make some simple stands that take furring strips to which you can staple the cardboard targets. You should also get a timer that records your times for each shot. They are not very expensive but will help you keep track of your progress. Pasters for the targets will also help!!!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot at least once a week. I have my own "steel" and cardboard targets.

Now if you can tell me how to spring up from the "low window" or other low positions shooting around a left wall like a teenager, I AM LISTENING. Cool

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can do pretty darn well by not missing and not shooting the no shoots.... at least you will likely finish above the fold... Wink

I have been shooting the game for almost 17 years now, and while I will never be "good" its a lot of fun. Actually, single stack is the only division that I am not classified in. Probably worth doing some day.

Posts: 10573 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cr I think you have a good point there. Many treat USPSA as a game, ie. well I shot the no shoot and got a 10 point penalty. NO! You just killed an innocent bystander! Not saying it can't or should not be treated as a game, but I am pretty sure that was not the original intent. Nothing wrong with shooting fast, accurately and with a powerful gun, reloading behind cover, on the run, tactical reloads etc. This cannot help but improve shooting skills and still be fun.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
From experience, don't forget to practice basic gun handling skills. You can gain a TON of time by smooth fast reloads. Know where your mags are without ever looking and you can practice that without ever firing a shot. Same with the draw.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post