THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta dominates the Olympics
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Shooters using Beretta DT-11 designs took 10 of the 15 available medals this year.

Conversely, Krieghoff and Perazzi continue to dominate the international sporting clays circuit.

Different games, different guns, which I think is especially poignant at such a high skill level.

For most of us, though, I think one gun will do it all, with the exception of trap, where, arguably, one needs a slightly different set up.

I shoot a K80 and a K20, both with flat, tapered, 6mm ribs and 30" barrels, for all my games, whether skeet, trap or any of the sporting games.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cannot disagree with you except that International Skeet is a completely different game. Many (Hancock for example) use a stock by Ergosign (EvoComp) that is completely adjustable. I am not sure it is available for a K gun. I have limited experience with K guns but found them quite heavy with a rather forward balance which makes the swing nice but the gun mount slower than a better balanced gun. I shoot mainly skeet but shoot the international course of fire ie. doubles at 3,4 and 5 etc. Curiously Perazzi used to be the go to gun for International Skeet way back when. I suspect that Beretta is prepared to work more with the top shooters than the other makers!
Both my tubed sets (Browning Citori and Rem 3200) have 26" barrels. I am vertically challenged!
At one point I had a Beretta 682 but the barrels (I now know) were too long for me.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot the Beretta 687 series and still have two. Then I changed to K guns fitted with adjustable stocks. They are, indeed, a little more robust than most guns. They're not for everyone. They work for me.

We also shoot the so-called International skeet, with doubles at 3, 4, 5. On fun shoot days we'll change the order of the targets, shooting the second bird first. Lot's of fun.

I'll bet that the sponsorship / contract deals in shooting are just like any other sport. In the end, it's as much a business deal as it is equipment preference.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
On fun shoot days we'll change the order of the targets, shooting the second bird first. Lot's of fun.

That's what they did in the Olympics (16 shot shoot off). Shoot 2 pairs of doubles at 3, 4 and 5 1st pair shoot outgoing first. Next pair (same station) shoot incoming first! I have not tried that yet. I think it is fairly new. They did it with station 4 before but now they are doing it for 3 and 5 as well. I really like the fact that they are trying to make it competitive as the shooters get better by constantly making changes.
Precision Fit, an American company also makes fully adjustable stocks.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a beretta682e. Barely shoot in Florida. It is my standard hunting gun. I use it for doves, upland and ducks. I suck at all the sporting stuff.

I was thinking of getting a dt-11 as a spare. But the last time I shot my shotgun was 18 months back.

I think the sporting guns from beretta make excellent hunting guns too.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty expensive spare!
Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
The thread a tad out outa date but from the perspective of someone who shoots the European clay target scene; I can affirm that from an International Skeet perspective, Beretta has really taken a (large) bite outa Perazzi and Krieghoff's long-standing premiere level shotgun market share. The DT-11 has; in the past two years become THE shotgun to shoot for the "real" competitors (National teams), the various Great, Good & Unwashed local matadors, and includes the Wannbees who can afford a top-notch competitve shotgun at way under Perazzi & Krieghoff's price point.

Current astute marketing from Beretta of their DT-11, 690 & 692 series target guns among the International Skeet shooters has shown a solid shift to Beretta; no questions asked. Here in The Fatherland, the DT-11's especially were in such high demand in early 2016 there was a waiting period for delivery.

The International Trappers appear to have shown some loyalty to their favorites among Perazzi & Kreighoff, though. Still quit a mix of brand names on the shooting lines.

The Double Trappers appear to have shifted slightly to the Krieghoff bandwagon with their new high rib and stock options, as a much higher gun hold has become very vouge, so they can stick with their (like the old 3200's) relatively heavy, longer-tubed versions, depending on shooting style; although the few I've handled feel to me to like Krieghoff has taken some weigh out their (older model) heavier tubes.

The Sporting Clays guys & gals are showing a real tendancy and preference for the two Blaser F-3 & F16 series shotguns, primarily (me thinks) due to their longer tube (32" & 34") options and choke offerings. Blaser has very strong marketing on the Sporting Clays circuit.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post