THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sling set-up
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How far apart should the swivel studs be for a 1907 military style sling? Shouldn't the forward hand reach the end of the front strap? (I'm 5'-11".
Thanks,
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not exactly sure just what you are asking, but the distance between sling swivels on U.S. Serv. Rifles M1Garand and M14 is the same, 27".
Std. AR15/M16 rifles are some 3" longer in distance between.
As for using the sling the hand on the forearm most likely will not be up against the swivel, but some distance back in order to establish a stable hold/grip on the rifle when firing. If attempting to place forearm hand against the swivel you will be out of balance most likely.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Instructor. I was informed that the forward hand should be against or near the end of the sling. I now know that is incorrect. Thanks for your help.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shouldn't the forward hand reach the end of the front strap? (I'm 5'-11)

It would be nice if you could, but not everyone can. Shooting prone with a sling, with a shooter’s mitt my left hand is up against the lower band of a Garand. It is not there when I am shooting sitting rapid fire or kneeling. I really have to keep some tension on the stock or my gloved hand will slip. I have buds who use spray on glues to keep their shooting mitts from sliding on the fore end. I hate glue, very messy, so I try to remember to clamp down with the support hand. On foreign rifles, like M1896 Swedes, I cannot reach the lower band in the prone position.

Very few nations thought that a sling should be used for a shooting support on a service rifle. A number of service rifles have the sling swivels on the left side of the rifle; this is not conducive to using the sling as a support. It is fine for carrying the rifle.

Now, if you have a target rifle, with a movable handstop, then you can move the handstop to fit the geometry of your body. Having your hand buried against the handstop is absolutely necessary for target grade accuracy, if you are using a sling.

Here is an example of a moveable handstop on a target rifle.

Posts: 1219 | Registered: 10 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Slamfire. I am experimenting with taking a second wrap with my forward hand. (I say forward because I'm a lefty.) I'm talking ordinary hunting rifles here. I must be one of the very few hunters who knows the difference between a sling and a carry strap, and uses a sling for its intended purposes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience tells me that Instructor is correct...your hand should not touch the forward swivel either before firing or while the rifle is in recoil, at least not with a centerfire rifle.

There are of course several types of shooting slings. In the U.S. high-power competition, by far the most common is the "one-point sling"...that is, the sling which attaches to the rifle at only one place when shooting.

It provides good assistance in maintaining uniform vertical alignment of the rifle, but very little help in maintaining good horizontal assignment. Because of the support provided both ways, most of the UK shooters are familiar with (and some still prefer) the "two-point sling".

Any good Brit rifleman beyond the age of 30 can show you where it should attach, and how it should be adjusted/used. I'm not going to attempt that in words, but I can guarantee you that for prone high-power shooting it is superior to the "one-point" sling.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When using a sling to precision shooting as in small bore or High Power, Fullbore, Palma etc- where the rifle is allowed only to be supported by one shoulder, the firing hand, the support hand and may not touch the ground or anything else, a sling is key to achieving any sort to consistency.

As AC mentions, the sling is usually attached only to the front swivel/handstop (dependent upon rifle type, Match or Service-in the US at least).

Using a sling is not a panacea by itself- properly building a firing position whether prone or sitting/kneeling is the greatest challenge.

Natural point of aim, relaxed completely letting only bones and sling support the rifle with no muscle strength is required- applying any muscular force will tend to push point of impact in that direction.

The US Army Marksmanship Unit provides good instruction on this and other marksmanship topics and can be found on the CMP website ( odcmp.org).

Given that only .006" of movement with an AR15A2/4 Service rifle is a minute of angle, and given that the X ring of NRA/US CMP targets is a n MOA as well ( ~2" at 200 yds, 3" at 300 and 6" at 600 yds), it behooves the marksman to master the ability to hold at least that small, and be able to assess (dope) the weather and light conditions to direct the rifle in the right direction.

Best.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a good pictorial instruction on setting up the 1907 type sling for use as shooting support.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3685...ing-Setup-Use#scribd

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are the clearest instructions I've seen yet. Thanks.