THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Competitive Shooting    Preparing to stick my toe in NRA/CMP Highpower again
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preparing to stick my toe in NRA/CMP Highpower again
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ten years ago I shot 1K BR and while I was doing that shot two Highpower matches and did decent enough. HP seemed like a big hassle and as a Benchrest guy I wasn't really welcome, so I didn't stick with it. When I moved from the area I got out of 1K BR as well.

The other day at the gunshow I bought a very nice, little used 90s vintage Bushmaster A2. I did a little research and found out about the optics class, so I built a flat top service rifle upper. I should have just bought one but the assembly process was very valuable.

I ordered most of the stuff from Brownells: Rock River upper and float tube, Brownells bolt carrier group, Colt delta ring. From Fulton Armory I bought a stainless 1x8 HBar Criterion barrel and I found a service rifle legal gas block from White Oak Armament. The tools I bought came from Brownells.

If I get serious about this game I will get the Nightforce 4.5 power scope made for service rifle. In the meantime I am using a Leupold Mark AR 1-4. The adjustments on the Leupold are not solid as I like, the parallax isn't really right, and I am a little concerned about how well it will track. But sticking my toe in means starting at the gun range that does everything at 100 yds on reduced targets, so the scope won't be a huge issue.

I haven't shot it yet as I finished it just last weekend.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I attended Perry last year and first time I witnessed competitors using optics on Serv. rifles. Spoke with few of them and most said that their scores were about the same other than it helped them on Off Hand. Some were using NF scopes, but most were using the Leupold scopes.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
INTJ - What part of OR are you in? If you do not want to be specific NE, SE, SW, or NW? Or send a PM.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Instructor:
I attended Perry last year and first time I witnessed competitors using optics on Serv. rifles. Spoke with few of them and most said that their scores were about the same other than it helped them on Off Hand. Some were using NF scopes, but most were using the Leupold scopes.

The winners used March scopes and Shilen barrels. I'm speaking of the Presidents 100 and team.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good looking rifle there.

For some reason I just can't get friendly with ARs............it may be a character defect they are fine rifles.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of good videos to help with the basics of high power

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V80JyfZ4gBQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SPVVeKY_puY

I was using the Leupold and switched to the Nightforce. I am very pleased with the Nightforce.

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The eternal competition between mfg. of optics never ceases. Optics do not make the rifle more accurate as many claim, but the final determining factor is the trigger puller. HP shooting is a well developed skill by the rifleman in position, timed shooting. The rifle you describe is more than adequate for HP matches with or without optics. As for guidance in the sport highly suggest purchasing SGT. Jim Owens books on the subject for it details the basics required for not only how to establish a proper position, Natural Point of Aim, breathing, and super critical is the proper use of the sling, only support permitted. Master the use of the issue rear and front sight post prior to depending on the optic to give you good results, it's all about the basics. Fulton Armory sells the above mention books and they are quite reasonable in cost. Contrary to some other forms of shooting sports, it is not the rifle that is the key element, but the shooter and his developed skills. Once you have reached Master Level with your present equipment then would be the time consider elevating the quality of the firearm itself. Many mfg.'s of AR15's will give 1moa accuracy with good loads and if you can hold 1moa in all positions you have done well. Reaching High Master is the ultimate level and it's been done without optics. Just a suggestion.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little background on my shooting experience. I started shooting NRA High power in 1994. I made XTC Master shooting a match rifle in December 11, 1996 and my Long Range Master Classification September 07, 1998. I have been to Perry 4 times and have shot some decent scores over the years.

Around 2002 I slowed down quite a bit on my shooting. I would shoot at the most 8 or 10 matches a year, some years maybe one or two. This year I decided to start shooting again. I had a Colt H-Bar lower with an original M-K II trigger setup for service rifle. I ordered WOA upper for optics and a Leupold scope which I have since upgraded to a Nightforce. It is my goal to make NRA High Master and to become Distinguished.

In the past two months I have shot 1 leg match, I was First Leather by 2 points, 2 XTC matches at 200 yards, and one 80 shot XTC match. I have averaged Master class scores in these matches. Some scores have been great included cleaning some rapids, offhand has been horrible due to lack of practice. I even shot a 198 with 8 at a 200 yard reduced slow fire prone. Those reduced targets can be tough, just more forgiving on wind calls.

I have also shot several midrange matches at 600 yards with mixed results. I have seen very little vertical stringing, most of my points have been lost to wind.

There have been several posts about scopes and high power. These are my findings based on my experiences.

Building a solid position, proper sling use, a proper natural point of aim, good trigger control, good breathing techniques or in other words all the fundamentals of shooting are still important when shooting with a scope. The scope will NOT make up for any improper technique. In fact using a scope can worsen your score if you do not follow basic rifle practices. As an example with a 4.5 power scope at 600 yards the rifle will settle in with some movement noticeable. As the crosshair settles on the X-Ring I find myself struggling with trigger control as I can see movement that you will not see without optics. It tends to make me want to rush and pull through the first stage without stopping on the second stage.

Offhand:

I would prefer to shoot offhand without a scope. I was looking at some old scores I could average 95% back in the day without optics. Eventually I will be there with optics I just need to practice.

Sitting:

I like the Nightforce in sitting. It has a 10 minute circle as part of the reticle. As long as the black of the SR target is within the circle you will shoot a 10 or an X. My problem is I try to refine the sight picture too much and end up dropping some 9s. I feel I am or will shoot better with the scope.

Prone rapid

For me this is where the scope starts to help. Seeing the target and crosshair clearly helps. With 70 seconds on the clock you can really refine your sight picture. I have cleaned this target with the scope and have shot some small groups off center due to position. On the 80 shot match I shot my first string was an 88 (would have been a 98 or 99 centered up), low right, bad position. I did not change windage or elevation and cleaned the second string. Again a scope will not make up for bad positions, mental mistakes, or just plain stupidity.

Slow Fire Prone

I really like the scope back here. My eyes are tired and that little post can be blurry on the front of a iron sighted rifle. The scope is sharp and clear as is the target. I have even picked up mirage changes through the scope, an added benefit.

The future:

I believe all records will fall to scoped rifles within the next 2 to 3 years if not sooner. All of the winners will be shooting scopes, and good scopes either March or Nightforce. I also believe eventually the NRA will change classification requirements or target sizes to compensate for the optics.

Again this my opinion having shot with and without optics. I am anxious to see how I will feel in a year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
A little background on my shooting experience. I started shooting NRA High power in 1994. I made XTC Master shooting a match rifle in December 11, 1996 and my Long Range Master Classification September 07, 1998. I have been to Perry 4 times and have shot some decent scores over the years.

Around 2002 I slowed down quite a bit on my shooting. I would shoot at the most 8 or 10 matches a year, some years maybe one or two. This year I decided to start shooting again. I had a Colt H-Bar lower with an original M-K II trigger setup for service rifle. I ordered WOA upper for optics and a Leupold scope which I have since upgraded to a Nightforce. It is my goal to make NRA High Master and to become Distinguished.

In the past two months I have shot 1 leg match, I was First Leather by 2 points, 2 XTC matches at 200 yards, and one 80 shot XTC match. I have averaged Master class scores in these matches. Some scores have been great included cleaning some rapids, offhand has been horrible due to lack of practice. I even shot a 198 with 11 at a 200 yard reduced slow fire prone. Those reduced targets can be tough, just more forgiving on wind calls.

I have also shot several midrange matches at 600 yards with mixed results. I have seen very little vertical stringing, most of my points have been lost to wind.

There have been several posts about scopes and high power. These are my findings based on my experiences.

Building a solid position, proper sling use, a proper natural point of aim, good trigger control, good breathing techniques or in other words all the fundamentals of shooting are still important when shooting with a scope. The scope will NOT make up for any improper technique. In fact using a scope can worsen your score if you do not follow basic rifle practices. As an example with a 4.5 power scope at 600 yards the rifle will settle in with some movement noticeable. As the crosshair settles on the X-Ring I find myself struggling with trigger control as I can see movement that you will not see without optics. It tends to make me want to rush and pull through the first stage without stopping on the second stage.

Offhand:

I would prefer to shoot offhand without a scope. I was looking at some old scores I could average 95% back in the day without optics. Eventually I will be there with optics I just need to practice.

Sitting:

I like the Nightforce in sitting. It has a 10 minute circle as part of the reticle. As long as the black of the SR-1 target is within the circle you will shoot a 10 or an X. My problem is I try to refine the sight picture too much and end up dropping some 9s. I feel I am or will shoot better with the scope.

Prone rapid

For me this is where the scope starts to help. Seeing the target and crosshair clearly helps. With 70 seconds on the clock you can really refine your sight picture. I have cleaned this target with the scope and have shot some small groups off center due to position. On the 80 shot match I shot my first string was an 88 (would have been a 98 or 99 centered up), low right, bad position. I did not change windage or elevation and cleaned the second string. Again a scope will not make up for bad positions, mental mistakes, or just plain stupidity.

Slow Fire Prone

I really like the scope back here. My eyes are tired and that little post can be blurry on the front of a iron sighted rifle. The scope is sharp and clear as is the target. I have even picked up mirage changes through the scope, an added benefit.

The future:

I believe all records will fall to scoped rifles within the next 2 to 3 years if not sooner. All of the winners will be shooting scopes, and good scopes either March or Nightforce. I also believe eventually the NRA will change classification requirements or target sizes to compensate for the optics.

Again this my opinion having shot with and without optics. I am anxious to see how I will feel in a year.

Mike, I agree with you.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:
I'm glad you are enjoying NRA XTC once again.
I think what the NRA has done is too little too late. 20, 25 years ago, some of us who lacked the 20/10 acuity of the top guns pushed for a limited scope power to shoot across the coarse. We that lacked eyes could and did hold our own in LR scope matches. Having a scope only lets me see as well as those with great eye sight. It does not make me any better at hold, breath control, shot execution, wind reading, etc. Now that it is finally here the participation is next to all but dead.
There are nearly 3 times as many rifle competitors shooting other than NRA matched in this country today.

Alan Warner

Posts: 50 | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alan Warner? Warner Sights?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one and only AW. Makes some of the best and most precise parts and equip. available.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Utmost respect for Mr. Warner.

Thank you for posting. I am excited to be shooting XTC again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
INTJ,

Have you shot the rifle? Accuracy?

Have you shot any matches? That MR-31 target can be frustrating.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot about this thread. I haven't been to the range since I built the upper. A combination of limited time, a nasty cold, and bad weather (I'm a fair weather shooter) have kept me home.

I did shoot two Highpower matches 10 years ago. I didn't find iron sights to be an issue, but 10 years ago it was hard to keep the front sight of a service rifle AR in focus for all 88 rounds. I still frequently shoot irons on my double rifle and I also have a Garand.

I am not bothered by the movement of a scope. When I shot 1K BR the dot reticle was never still but constantly dancing around. I just centered the movement, pulled the trigger, and shot five screamer groups in a year.

I also found the shooting jacket and a tight sling was as stable as a bench rest when shooting prone.

I don't see making it to match this year. I am currently in Roseburg and am in the process of moving to the Eugene/Springfield area. That should be complete this year.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post