THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Competitive Shooting    Sad Announcement about NRA HighPower
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sad Announcement about NRA HighPower
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
https://www.ssusa.org/articles...ips-from-camp-perry/

In an effort to keep the National High Power Rifle Championships up to the high standards that competitors have enjoyed for over one-hundred years, the NRA will move the Championship from its historic home at Camp Perry, OH, to Camp Atterbury, IN. This change in venue will take effect during the 2017 National Matches, pending approval by the NRA Board of Directors in January 2017.

Dennis Willing, director of NRA Competitive Shooting explained the decision.

“The NRA High Power Rifle Committee met and determined it would be beneficial to all competitors if we moved the Championship from Camp Perry to another site. After much discussion, the range at Camp Atterbury, IN, was selected as the new home of the NRA National High Power Rifle Championships.”

The proposed match schedule (subject to change) is below:

-First Shot Ceremony - July 7
-Welcome BBQ (afternoon) - July 7
-Across the Course - July 8-13
-Mid-Range - July 14-17
-Long-Range - July 18-22

Willing added, “I intend to change the face of High Power Rifle as a discipline, and will be presenting matches that are better than competitors have ever seen before.”

Since Across the Course is scheduled to end on July 13th, there will be sufficient time for competitors to attend the CMP National Trophy Matches.

The NRA Smallbore Prone Championship is scheduled to end with sufficient time for competitors to leave Bristol, IN, and come to Camp Atterbury to compete in Mid-Range Prone and Long-Range Prone. The NRA National Pistol Championship will remain at Camp Perry but will be held July 9-14, 2017, following previous year's practice.

The Camp Atterbury Joint Maneuver Training Center is administered by the Indiana National Guard, and has just under 35,000 acres of training and maneuver space—plenty of room in case the NRA decides to expand beyond the High Power Rifle Championships. Additionally, Camp Atterbury is home to several active U.S. Army components, including several from the First Army Division East. The site also provides various training and testing sites for military and civilian responders from around the world.

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much money they had to pay the NRA for that plum...?

So much for that "rich tradition..." blather they spew.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are SO EXTREMELY F.O.S. !!! A while back, they wanted to move the Nationals out West. Nobody wanted that, and they stood down. So, now, all of a sudden, they found a NEW place to move the matches, after 100+ years of history.

I well remember walking the range road to the pits on my first trip to Perry in 1993, and realizing that I was literally following in my Dad's footsteps. He had spent 3 months training at Perry in 1943 before shipping out for overseas.

Think of all the "greats" who shot there -- countless famous champions -- and the rich history that our culture has, that unfolded there for generations. Now changed to "scenic" Camp Atterbury, Indiana -- FOR WHAT???

I spoke with a number of fellow competitors, and not one was remotely in favor of this move.

I no longer compete in the Nationals, but if I did, I would boycott those #$&#&$%!s. They #&$%&!!

Sorry SOB's.

John

Posts: 126 | Location: Right here, for now! | Registered: 03 November 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's interesting. I was wondering if there was more to the story after this announcement that came out today.

quote:
November 17, 2016 - The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) is pleased to announce planning is underway for a number of new and exciting programs for the 2018 National Matches at Camp Perry, Ohio.

"In an effort to continue to attract new competitors and to reward the thousands who annually participate in our matches, the CMP will add new pistol, smallbore, high power rifle, and long range rifle matches in 2018," said Mark Johnson, CMP Chief Operating Officer.

"A major part of our mission is to conduct competitions, provide marksmanship training and recognize competitors for their progress and achievements as has been done at the National Matches since 1903. Accordingly, we enthusiastically look forward to the opportunity to expand our role at the National Matches at Camp Perry . We are committed to Camp Perry and our published dates for events in 2017 remain set. We have invested in Camp Perry with electronic targets on Petrarca Range, the Bataan Armory, our headquarters building, the CMP North Store, and the Gary Anderson CMP Competition Center."

Planned enhancements include a new CMP High Power Ranking System which will provide a fair and accountable method of rewarding success on the firing line at every level of experience, above and beyond our current awards. New, challenging pistol and rifle matches will be added to the schedule. Greater shooting opportunities for women and junior competitors are being developed. Increased use of electronic targets is being considered for many events. A CMP Range Officer Certification and Licensing Program has been developed for pistol, rifle and airgun disciplines and will be introduced by year-end.

"The CMP will not waver in its mission of promoting firearm safety and marksmanship training with an emphasis on youth," Johnson said. "The tradition of the National Matches at Camp Perry will continue, supported by the CMP and the Ohio National Guard, with or without the participation of other organizations."

http://campaign.r20.constantco...35-9cbb-6c211f4fc000
So, if I get this right, the NRA National High Power Rifle Championships will move away from Camp Perry but the National Matches will continue to be conducted at Camp Perry under CMP and without the participation of the NRA.

Here is the Camp Perry National Matches 2017 schedule. NRA events were to be conducted 15 of 30 days and CMP events were to be conducted the remaining 15 of 30 days. NRA's move will leave several days for the CMP to fill up. To fill that void CMP is adding new events and a CMP range Officer Certification program?

I wonder who stepped in who's rice bowl.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CMP/Board matches host thousands for the Games, Vintage and National Championships both rifle and pistol, NRA HP/LR for nearly the last decade barely fielded 3-400.... Wasting the facilities space and costing more than needed. Atterbury probably is a better fit for the size of the venue.

One problem with Perry and both NRA and CMP has always been not enough time (2 weeks plus travel) and too close to the end of summer/start of school. Although this change does not really effect that issue, it may be a move in the right direction.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I competed at Perry several times in the late 90s and in 2001. At the time there was around 8 to 9 hundred shooters if memory serves me correct. The older guys spoke of matches that were far larger in years past, filling Viale and Rodriguez, (maybe even Young) with 6 relays.

The schedule in Indiana will make it difficult to shoot both Across the Course and Long Range, over two weeks is a long time on the range.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike;

If my memory serves, this past summer NRA across the course had somewhere around 340 competitors, Presidents had 1200ish....

Most shooters go for the CMP National Matches, some stay for NRA.... More than 2 weeks vacation at the end of the summer is too much for many.

I have thought a complex built or upgraded in OK or KS would be a better national solution for far more shooters. Indiana isn't big enough from what I have heard ( for more than the current 3-400 NRA shooters).

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The two locations are not very far apart.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NRA and CMP are two separate organizations with two separate matches the commonality was the same place and consecutive schedules. Neither organization worked with the other. From what I've heard NRA is paying less for the facility and has been using it for small bore.

My take is that two organizations are trying to run the same sport differently to the detriment of the sport because they aren't allowed to work together anymore due to Politics.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am signed up for the NRA Championship at Camp Atterbury.

Afterwards I will go to Camp Perry for the Small Arms Firing School (SAFS), the M-16 EIC, the Oliver Hazard Perry Match, The President's 100 and the EIC match on Tuesday.

This will be my first time shooting the CMP matches at Perry, I have only shot NRA in the past.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
I am signed up for the NRA Championship at Camp Atterbury.

Afterwards I will go to Camp Perry for the Small Arms Firing School (SAFS), the M-16 EIC, the Oliver Hazard Perry Match, The President's 100 and the EIC match on Tuesday.

This will be my first time shooting the CMP matches at Perry, I have only shot NRA in the past.

Good luck Mike.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Mike, best of luck! Tell us how you did.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16269 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be there also.
Presidents 100 and NTI @ Perry
NRA 2400 XTC @ Atterbury
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post