THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Competitive Shooting    More Non-Political Gun Stuff - Back in LR BR!! (with pic)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More Non-Political Gun Stuff - Back in LR BR!! (with pic)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When I retired from the USAF and moved back home in 2007, nobody was doing NBRSA 600 yd or 1K BR in Oregon. I had been heavily involved in 1K BR from 2005-2007 in Tucson and did well. However, I wasn’t willing to drive 6-7 hours a couple times a year to compete so I sold my rifle. Last summer as my company was moving me moving an hour north I almost got rid of the rear rest I had built. I had also started looking for shooting competition opportunities. I didn’t see any NBRSA long range events listed on the websites for the various ranges in Oregon, so I reluctantly started looking at Highpower and the informal long range matches these ranges did list.

Two weekends ago I stumbled across the NBRSA website and saw several matches scheduled this year within a couple hours of my house. I started scheming about how I could get a rifle put together, thinking about using a Savage threaded Bighorn action and barrel just so I didn’t have to wait 6-12 months for a smith to get something built. I happened to call a local Smiths found out the Nationals were in Medford this year, and long story short he sold me the rifle he built for his son—who won’t be able to compete this year. He also set me up with dies, brass, bullets, and primers.

I am excited about this! There is a match March 25th at one range as well as the Nationals in April at the other.

Rifle is a 6mm Dasher. BAT dual port, Krieger Heavy Varmint 4-groove 1x8, ST-1000 stock. In the pics its wearing a Sightron 10-50x60 that I am going to replace with the Nightforce 12-42x56 BR model I just ordered. I really need to sell a couple things--including the Sightron scope as I have some more gear to buy.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How accurate is something like this?

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last time I shot 1K BR a dozen years ago, I shot five 5-shot groups between 3.5 and 4” at 1000 yds one year. I also set two club agg records, which was the average of three 5-shot groups shot in one match. The aggs were 4.91 and 4.71. I also shot a pair of 50-3Xs, which tied the world record at that time. This rifle should beat all that by more than an inch. I expect 3-4” 5-shot groups at 1000 yds and 1.5-2.5” groups at 600 in decent conditions. I’ll soon know if I can get there.......

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's amazing shooting.

Posts: 6058 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTJ:
Last time I shot 1K BR a dozen years ago, I shot five 5-shot groups between 3.5 and 4” at 1000 yds one year. I also set two club agg records, which was the average of three 5-shot groups shot in one match. The aggs were 4.91 and 4.71. I also shot a pair of 50-3Xs, which tied the world record at that time. This rifle should beat all that by more than an inch. I expect 3-4” 5-shot groups at 1000 yds and 1.5-2.5” groups at 600 in decent conditions. I’ll soon know if I can get there.......

Wow -I cannot even imagine shooting beyond 300 yards.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as you can do 1/2 min groups or less at a 1000

maybe check into the two mile shooting venue with bigger bore..Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding rig. Looks like a lot of fun! PM inbound.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now with Nightforce