THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Bullets for 500m Rams
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I used to shoot 7 mm, but now I'm making a move to 6.5. Looking for someone who has experience with 6.5 on the Rams, very interested to know your opinions on what it takes to knock them down reliably. I am considering Amax, custom comp, matchking, all being 140 grain. what are your thoughts on the maximum velocity I need at the muzzle, dwell time on the steel etc?

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not been shooting silohuette for very long but I like 140's for the rams. Truth is, I am not a good enough shot to achieve optimum shot placement and I want that ram to hit the dirt with a hit in the hind leg. The 140's (actually I use 139 Lapuas) at 2650 MV do this nicely. Now if I could just learn stand still while I shoot! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the 6.5-284. The Berger Hybrid 140gr has a high BC, and a case full of 4350 (either flavor) will get you to 2700fps at reasonable pressures.

Where are you going to shoot silhouettes here in Idaho?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
The thing is, you don't need 2700 fps to knock them down reliably. In fact, I suspect 2550 will probably work fine. No point in getting kicked any more than necessary. Last time out, I used 140 Hornady match ahead of 35 grains of 3031 (6.5x55)and all rams hit fell down. I can use the same charge with 108's for chickens, pigs, and turkeys but usually I just load 140's for everything.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 6.5-284 has way to much recoil for these matches you will start flinching, I shot a 7-08 and had no problems shooting rams with 140s.with a 6.5 a 260rem or creed will do it you might have to take butt or head shots and swing them off.hell I have hit rams with a 200 grain load and just watched them wobble.Dave Tubbs used a 260 for years for silhouette but if I ever get back into it (not likely here in SD no ranges) I would go with the 6.5 Creed

Posts: 197 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post