The Accurate Reloading Forums
Interservice 600 yard Recoed

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3651002871/m/1941006252

27 June 2019, 02:04
butchlambert
Interservice 600 yard Recoed
Interservice is the biggest military match of the year, where all the services send their best. It is held annually at Quantico Marine Base.

The is all week long and there are no sighting shots in these matches. Keith Stephens broke the record on the first 600 match that was set back in 1993 Keith shot a 200-16X.

Keith is shooting an 8 T Shilen Ratchet that he chambered himself while member Bamban looked over the shoulder while he did his first chamber. He sent me the screen shot of the electronic target display this morning that prompted me to look up the match results. Keith is in the Army Reserve and a police officer in East Texas. Keith and Bamban spent a day with Mike Bryant earlier this year learning Mike's machining technics.
27 June 2019, 02:50
MikeBurke
200-16 is a great score. Keith also won the Texas State Service Rifle Championship a couple of weeks back.

Keith's electronic target screen.

At the TSRA championship I shot on the same point as Keith (P-100 winner), Justin Utley was on our right (P-100) winner, and the shooter on our left beat both of the them in the Houston Regional and the Carthage Regional. There are some very good shooters in that part of the world.

I have shot terrible this year, late start, not practicing enough, shooting poorly. Perry is a month away, I need to get my stuff together.

On another note I read one of the AMU shooters just shoot an 800 with a service rifle at a regional. First time that was done.

https://www.dvidshub.net/news/...e-with-service-rifle
27 June 2019, 17:14
butchlambert
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
200-16 is a great score. Keith also won the Texas State Service Rifle Championship a couple of weeks back.

Keith's electronic target screen.

At the TSRA championship I shot on the same point as Keith (P-100 winner), Justin Utley was on our right (P-100) winner, and the shooter on our left beat both of the them in the Houston Regional and the Carthage Regional. There are some very good shooters in that part of the world.

I have shot terrible this year, late start, not practicing enough, shooting poorly. Perry is a month away, I need to get my stuff together.

On another note I read one of the AMU shooters just shoot an 800 with a service rifle at a regional. First time that was done.

https://www.dvidshub.net/news/...e-with-service-rifle

Mike, thanks for posting the photo. It is a pain for this old man to post photos. Good luck with your shooting. Justin Utley just bought a friend of mine's Bridgeport.
I made a mistake, Justin is the east Texas Law officer and not Keith.
28 June 2019, 00:49
458Win
And to think that 50 years ago our Instructors in AIT made all six of us who shot expert with the M16 re-shoot the course because "no one can shoot expert with an M-16"

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com
29 June 2019, 05:14
Peter
458, don't be too hard on yourself. based on what Butch is saying, these guys are shooting custom barrel, custom chambering and presumably NOT shooting standard military ammo. Perhaps Butch can enlighten us on the rules. My Colt Match HBAR can shoot sub MOA with 69gr. Sierra match bullets.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;
29 June 2019, 16:15
p dog shooter
They only look like a service rifle on the in side they are not.
30 June 2019, 01:47
butchlambert
Keith was shooting 80.5 grain Bergers and 24.8 grains of Varget. I have a service rifle "legal" that John Holliger built for me, but I'm not a competitor. Actually John did the upper and it has a Leupold 1-4.5X scope with a 30MM tube. My lower receiver was one of the Predator receivers that Jerry Stiller made and an Elftmann trigger.
It is a fun rifle and shoots pretty damn good!
21 October 2019, 09:01
NormanConquest
I have a friend that used to do Camp Perry every year in ages past. He told me last night that on the M1 A forum there is this jackass that says he's full of it because everyone knows you can't shoot 600 yds. with an M1A w/ receiver sights. You'll always find some armchair "expert" on any forum.

Never mistake motion for action.
20 May 2020, 15:39
DocEd
quote:
You'll always find some armchair "expert" on any forum.

We certainly have one on this forum!

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level
21 August 2020, 01:26
Bill/Oregon
Butch, that is a tremendous target. I have no idea what the barrel specs are allowed in Service Rifle. Would Keith have been shooting a 24-inch tube? Is there a weight limit? I'd sure like to see his rifle.
Thanks for the thread, even if it is more than a year old.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author
21 August 2020, 03:05
butchlambert
Hey Bill, I sent an email to find out and will post when I get the answer.
On the M1, Nez Rongero has rang a steel target 7 out of 10 times at 1000 with iron sights. I don't know if Nez was shooting his M14 or M1.
21 August 2020, 17:50
butchlambert
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Butch, that is a tremendous target. I have no idea what the barrel specs are allowed in Service Rifle. Would Keith have been shooting a 24-inch tube? Is there a weight limit? I'd sure like to see his rifle.
Thanks for the thread, even if it is more than a year old.

Service rifles, by rules, must have 20 inch tube, no more than 0.750 from the gas block forward. Sights irons, or optics, the latter limited to 4.5X power. Adjustable buttstock in LOP allowed, but not adjustable cheekpiece. Handguard could be just anything these days. Front sling swivel must be mounted no longer than 13-1/2 from front of magasine well.
28 September 2020, 18:38
Bill/Oregon
Good to know, Butch.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author