THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 Creedmore Bench and Varmint Gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In our local club, the hunter benchrest must have 45 grains of water capacity. No exceptions. I am building a 6 Creedmore to compete and would like to know what everyone thinks about the barrel length. I am thinking 22 inches, is that too short? The rifle also must weigh under 10 pounds. I am an old guy so I choose a 6 over the 308 that a lot of others are shooting. Distance will be mainly 100-200 yards. some longer but not many.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not my game . But I would think, to stay within weight limits, shorter and fatter would tend to be more accurate than thinner and longer.

I am interested in what the benchrest crowd will say on this.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would build a 16-22 inch barrel. Heaviest contour you can get at diameter.

If you are really building a rifle to shoot only one event, then you might as well build it to win.

I personally would build a 6mm BR, but the nice thing about the 6mm Creedmoor is that loaded ammo is cheap.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No creedmore ever built will take on a PPC or BR...none ! Varmint gun is fine but never purebenchrest, to believe so would be as delusional as Dumpster...

Posts: 2527 | Registered: 25 June 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a 6BR in a Eliseo tube gun. Extremely accurate, but it along with any other 6mm BR or PPC will never beat a 6mm Creedmoor in the competition discussed (hunter benchrest) in the original post.

Not enough case capacity in either to qualify.

Twenty-two inch barrel should be fine.

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He states 100-200 yards and some a little longer ????? And you think a 6 creedmore will out shoot a PPC or BR at those distances, that would never happen...you stated you own a BR and you think a creedmore is better in the accuracy game ?? Never at those distances even with a six power scope, I'd have seen a lot of bench rest matches and can't remember ever seeing a creedmore that could compete with either cartridge, especially at100-200.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read the competition he is shooting. Hunter Benchrest. Requires 45 grains of H2O capacity. Neither of the smaller cartridges qualify, which was my point if you read my entire post. Also the question was about barrel length.

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why did they put the 45,0 grain minimum.....because they can'tbe compeditive with the PPC/BR...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies everyone, I may have to cut a hole in the buttstock like the ruger boat paddle stocks to make the weight. It is that close. The barrel is a 22 inch Kreiger 1 in 14 twist. Now I have to find load data. Nobody is loading the Creedmore with light bullets. I intend to try all the 60-70 grain short fat benchrest bullets that I can get my hands on. With one shoot done that was an any rifle shoot, a ppc won with a teener. 0.19 somthing. The new gun needs to be sorted out by June 7th. I'll let you know how it goes.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post