New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need To Make .368 Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got a new to me 9.3 rifle. It shoots quite a bit low and accuracy is not what I want. So. I've slugged the bore at several places and it turns out to be .3675. I have cast bullets that come from the mold at .370, so they will be a start. But I really want to have a jacketed bullet for hunting as well. I'm considering getting Lee dies and squeezing down 375's. I figure I'll need to do it in two steps. Two questions: What size sizing dies should I order? Will my Rockchucker be adequate for this?
Thanks
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I think it could be done in one step with some bullets with the Lee dies but you would probably find it more predictable with two.
I have a .366" Lee die I could measure to see if a bullet as big as .375" will even get a start in.
Also, there usually is a little spring back so a final sizer of .367" should be good.
Your Rockchucker on a good solid bench should be OK too. I have pushed mine quite a bit and have found that when really squeezing bullets down, it is best to start with the die high in the press to make the best of its mechanical advantage at the bottom of the stroke.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Just dawned on me that you could give powder coating your .366" bullets a try.
One or two coats would get you to .368".
Go over to castboolits and see if there are any reports on coating jacketed bullets.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Back in the dark ages when we couldn't get 9.3 bullets, I made a die to swage down .375s to .366. There is quite a bit of spring back, so you never know what is going to come out the other end until you do it. I used my Rockchucker with an extended handle It is harder to do than you think. I made a lot of Hornady 270 grain, 375s into .366s.
Anyway, I would just shoot the .366s. Or the paint idea sounds good; they used to make a moly paint for cast bullets; you are only trying to increase the diameter by .00075 per side which is not much. I am surprised the .366s won't shoot; it this a new barrel?

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you know anyone who has access to a CNC lathe, they can make you any size you wish.

That is how we do it on our CNC lathe here.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three sources, corbins.com, rceco.com, and BSS (bullet swaging Supply).

Dave Corbin at corbins.com has a directory of bullet makers that lists the diameter of bullets they make. No telling what you might find locally to make you a custom bullet that suits you to a "t". Of you could buy the equipment and make your own (if you are "well off". )

RCECo.com is Daves brother Richard who is now on his own and makes and supplys similar bullet making supplys and equipment.

Both Dave and Rich have books on their sites for review and info. Great resource.

BSS is the other large firm with supplies and equipment. (And dreaded backlog... oh well).

Rockchucker was designed to make fired .22 cases into bullets but mainly .22 and 6mm. .366 is a LOT more load. (RCBS = Rock Chuckers Bullet Swages). Luck. Happy Trails.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might check out Hawk Bullets, they make softer jacketed bullets, believe they have a .367 diameter, you might be able to use that as a starting point??..

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
If you know anyone who has access to a CNC lathe, they can make you any size you wish.

That is how we do it on our CNC lathe here.

Yep.....and only $70 per hour with a 2 hour minimum + setup, programming and materials

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I would order a "bump die" from Richard or Dave Corbin. Bumping up a .366 to .368 would be a piece of cake.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
According to this:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...3621043/m/8261079471

a few thousandths one way or the other don't make any diff so ????

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Corbin dies and presses are quite expensive; for me anyway; you would need to make thousands of bullets to break even. A simple swaging press in a reloading press, like I used to make .366s from .375s, is cheap and easy. No CNC lathe needed; any lathe will do.
Bump up dies are not too much harder to make but the nose punch is more work to make and use.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might check and see if LEE offers tapered swaging/sizing dies. IIRC, they were about 6" long and tapered about .005" or less. They used them for guys who tumble lube and wanted minimal sizing.

They started about the .005" over, and finished at desired diameter or .001" smaller.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many different 9.3 jacketed bullets have you tried? It makes little sense that standard 9.3 bullets are the problem. I highly doubt that a perfectly matched bullet diameter is going to make a difference. What make is your rifle, and when made? Any modern rifle, and most Mauser 98 rifles made after 1930 or so, should easily digest 60,000psi (30-06 pressures). If your rifle falls into these catagories, I would slowly work your powder charge up until accuracy improves, watching for traditional signs of pressure. Prvi Partisan (PPU) brass seems to have quite a bit more case capacity (and is less expensive) than other 9.3x62 cases, which helps a little in the velocity department. If your throat is short enough and your magazine long enough to allow seating the bullet close to the lands, this will help. The goal is to obturate (slug up) the base of the bullet, so that it creates a gas seal. Here are som 60k psi loads. John Barsness worked up these loads and had them Pressure tested. If you use the PP brass you will likely have to raise powder charge to get the same velocity, but you also should be able to exceed the listed velocity with the same pressure. You might try 286 Hornady SP's and 286 Nosler partitions with RL-15 and/or Varget starting with their book max and work up. When trying get bullets to obturate, flat base bullets are recommended. I'm not sure if boat tail bullets will obturate as easily, if at all. There have been reports on AR of good accuracy and incredible velocity with heavy charges of RL-17. I have not used it, but it might be something worth looking at. Good luck!

Selected Metallic Loads
9.3x62 / 9.3x62mm Mauser Loads Reloading Data

Warning! Notes: Loads were shot from a CZ 550 with a 23.6-inch barrel, pressure-tested at under 60,000 psi. (Handloader Issue #250 - December, 2007)
Be Alert: Publisher cannot be responsible for errors in published load data.
Wt. Bullet Powder Manufacturer Powder Charge Velocity (FPS)
232 Norma Oryx Alliant RL-15 64.0 2,716
Remarks: group (inches): .97
250 Barnes X-Bullet Alliant RL-15 62.0 2,636
Remarks: group (inches): .84
250 Nosler AccuBond Hodgdon Varget 60.5 2,651
Remarks: group (inches): 1.12
270 Speer Hot-Cor Ramshot Big Game 64.0 2,501
Remarks: group (inches): 1.23
286 Nosler Partition Ramshot Big Game 66.0 2,495
Remarks: group (inches): .79

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have a P.M. Check out hawk bullets:

-http://www.hawkbullets.com/maintest.htm-

Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We make hunting bullets and we do not charge for a custom size. Regular price is $79.00 for a box of 50.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iiranger:
Three sources, corbins.com, rceco.com, and BSS (bullet swaging Supply).

Dave Corbin at corbins.com has a directory of bullet makers that lists the diameter of bullets they make. No telling what you might find locally to make you a custom bullet that suits you to a "t". Of you could buy the equipment and make your own (if you are "well off". )

RCECo.com is Daves brother Richard who is now on his own and makes and supplys similar bullet making supplys and equipment.

Both Dave and Rich have books on their sites for review and info. Great resource.

BSS is the other large firm with supplies and equipment. (And dreaded backlog... oh well).

Rockchucker was designed to make fired .22 cases into bullets but mainly .22 and 6mm. .366 is a LOT more load. (RCBS = Rock Chuckers Bullet Swages). Luck. Happy Trails.

Rockchucker was designed to make fired .22 cases into bullets but mainly .22 and 6mm.

Thank's for the history lesson!!!!!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a husky in 9.3x57 and the throat is .370 with a little frostiness. I used fairly sofe 9.3 cast bullets and squished them in a machinest's vise that has flat smooth vice faces. Did slugs on the barrel front, back and all the way through. On the muzzle slugs were driven in about 2" then driven out from the breech. For the throat slugs used a section of 3/8" phosphor bronze rod to get them started then used a section of 1/4" phosphor bronze rod. those were removed with the 1/4' rod from the muzzle. Did this twic e to get accurate numbers for the throat. .370 almost up to the point where soft cast .375 cast bullets are starting to look good. Rifle was made in 1928 so has fine pitting in the bore. My particular 9.3x57 has a long throat. And trying to find any Norma 9.3x57 ammo loaded with 286 grain bullets is like to finding rocking horse poop. Have a bunch of the Privi 286 grain round nosed softpoints.Frank