Find
Notify
Tools

Can someone turn a .588 sample for me?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted
I just want to see what it would look like and how much it would weigh. Basically a .588" copy of the .338 Sierra Match King.

Sorry but I can't provide a .338 sample while I'm in Afghanistan.

What would you want for it?

Thanks, Lee

Posts: 7478 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be glad to turn one for you if I can get a sample from someone.
John

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could you model it from a .224" 77 grain Match King? I have some of those on hand.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500grains - that would probably work fine. I don't know if the profile is the same as for the .338 (scaled down of course) but it would never the less be close. I'll also stop by a gun shop and see if they have any on the shelf.
John

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500grains I picked up a box of the .338 MK this afternoon.

LDO I'll turn you a few. I'm not sure I can send them to the sand box but if you can let me know how to get them to you I'll get it done.

Send me a PM with the mailing information ect.
John

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz454:
500grains I picked up a box of the .338 MK this afternoon.

LDO I'll turn you a few. I'm not sure I can send them to the sand box but if you can let me know how to get them to you I'll get it done.

Send me a PM with the mailing information ect.
John

John-
PM is on the way.

Thanks, Lee

Posts: 7478 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if that just for weight purpose I can draw it on my Cad sytem and compute with the density of the brass or the bronze alloy as you want need

BUT long bearing surface is not the best for bullet making by lathe turning , better way is too use groove or drive bands bullets

good shooting

DAN TEC

DAN TEC

Posts: 50 | Location: France | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LongDistanceOperator:
I just want to see what it would look like and how much it would weigh. Basically a .588" copy of the .338 Sierra Match King.

Sorry but I can't provide a .338 sample while I'm in Afghanistan.

What would you want for it?

Thanks, Lee

Havalook, LDO, your quest is over, you did not need to go to the sandbox to find them:
http://www.bigskysurplus.com/14.5MM.htm
Wink

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I already truned and sent LDO a sample. Looked pretty dam nice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
that the dims of the 338 SMK

diameter = 0.338 # bullet diameter (inches)
total_length = 5.0799 # bullet length (calibers)
nose_length = 2.5148 # ogive length (calibers)
boattail_length = 0.7544 # boattail length (calibers)
meplat_diameter = 0.1834 # diameter me'plat (calibers)
base_diameter = 0.7396 # base diameter (calibers)
band_diameter = 1.000 # rotating band diameter (calibers)
ogive_radius = 17.0 # ogive radius (calibers)

DAN TEC

Posts: 50 | Location: France | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They look like a big sierra match king Smiler

They weigh between 1000 and 1200 grains depending on the configuration and material. Mine are yellow brass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by missing_something:

They weigh between 1000 and 1200 grains depending on the configuration and material. Mine are yellow brass.

Sounds cool guy ... Dont load it and shoot it you will spend the next two days cleaning the barrel out from the brass fowling ...

Thats one reason why i stopped using shell cases for jackets on bullets..

I would use a 458 win mag case or 7 MM
then cut it and run it through my custom sizing die set ment just for that ... and make jackets for .510 diameter bullets...

It fowled the barrel so bad i would have to clean the barrel ever 3 to 4 shots ...It really is that bad to use brass as a bullet or a jacket on a bullet.

This is the die set i use to turn shell cases into jackets

The die set fits my biggest swage press

Martin

PA Bullet's

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MartinPotts:
quote:
Originally posted by missing_something:

Sounds cool guy ... Dont load it and shoot it you will spend the next two days cleaning the barrel out from the brass fowling ...

Thats one reason why i stopped using shell cases for jackets on bullets..

I would use a 458 win mag case or 7 MM
then cut it and run it through my custom sizing die set ment just for that ... and make jackets for .510 diameter bullets...

It fowled the barrel so bad i would have to clean the barrel ever 3 to 4 shots ...It really is that bad to use brass as a bullet or a jacket on a bullet.

This is the die set i use to turn shell cases into jackets

The die set fits my biggest swage press

Martin

PA Bullet's

Well the brass bullets I use are a little harder than cases and I havent noted any serious "brassing" and they shoot fairly well.
What do you make the .510 bullets jackets out of. I am trying to make my own as I know a guy that was loading lead shot in them and using them as a short range shot round. I want to try it. Please PM or email. = channelsurfer911@hotmail.com

Thanks, Craig

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
missing_something

I sent you an email buddy Big Grin

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
missing_something

I sent you a sec -- email guy

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Indeed it does. I wonder what the BC is??

I'm trying to find out if there's any way to send brass from Afghanistan to the states. I'd really like to have some brass 12.7x108 cases. IIRC it holds 80gr more than the .50BMG. A whole lotta taper too. Room for more improvement Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm trying to find out if there's any way to send brass from Afghanistan to the states. I'd really like to have some brass 12.7x108 cases. IIRC it holds 80gr more than the .50BMG. A whole lotta taper too. Room for more improvement Wink

Deprimed Brass is just that ...Scrap...

No powder no primer ... = Scrap metal

Don't send any bullet lead !! or your busted big time.. but the brass is just scrap..

For some reason Bullet's ( the part going down range fast ) Big Grin ... is a no no ...when being shipped .

Martin Potts

PA Bullet's ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Don't send any bullet lead !! or your busted big time.. but the brass is just scrap..

For some reason Bullet's ( the part going down range fast ) Big Grin ... is a no no ...when being shipped .

Martin Potts

PA Bullet's ...

Martin-
I've got some people looking for brass and checking on sending it. Just the thought of a .588" projectile leaving the barrel at 3200fps....

I've got about 250pcs of brass at home. Believe it or not, I got it in a trade for some surplus military powder a couple of years ago. thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Martin Potts

PA Bullet's ...

Martin-
I've got some people looking for brass and checking on sending it. Just the thought of a .588" projectile leaving the barrel at 3200fps....

I've got about 250pcs of brass at home. Believe it or not, I got it in a trade for some surplus military powder a couple of years ago. thumb

Thats smoking mgun
Man O Man is that smoking ....What a Buff kill
Rhino wacking Rilfe

Martin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
But.... what about the primers ? bewildered

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
But.... what about the primers ? bewildered

What about them ? what do you need Ed ?
Primers of any type are not that hard to get its the tooling to reprime that cost .

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Edmond means that they use a different primer than .50BMG. More difficult to obtain. Damn. Nothing is easy, is it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of reloading the 14.5. I am looking for brass cases, The ones I have, I have reamed out the primer pocket and sleeved 50 BMG primers. It works good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you reloading steel cases or are you saying you have a limited supply of brass cases?

I'd really love to have a 14.5x114. Availability of brass kinda put a damper on that idea. Have you considered reviving the "Fat Mac" with 14.5mm projectiles? Vulcan brass is available, and fairly cheap. Custom reloading tools aren't cheap, but they are easier to find than brass 14.5mm cases.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both steel and brass. I am going to see about resizing vulcan cases. I have a PTRS and PTRD rifles that I like to shoot. They arent custom rifles but still a whoot Smiler

one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you reloading steel cases or are you saying you have a limited supply of brass cases?

I'd really love to have a 14.5x114. Availability of brass kinda put a damper on that idea. Have you considered reviving the "Fat Mac" with 14.5mm projectiles? Vulcan brass is available, and fairly cheap. Custom reloading tools aren't cheap, but they are easier to find than brass 14.5mm cases.

SSK offers a wildcat 14.5/.50 BMG

HTRN

Posts: 261 | Location: In my Subterranean lair, okay, I admit it, it's a basement | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I understand there is a problem with the SSK brass after its fired. The neck is too springy and the lack of a shoulder causes problems from what I hear. I havent fired it so I dont have first hand knowledge, but it sounds like a winner in any case.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you send the 14.5 brass this way, check the Fed regs closely. My understanding from discussion with folks at FCSA about bring 12.7 x 108 brass over here is that it is NOT LEGAL as they are deemed "Implements of War" and subject to importation ban .... 14.5 could fall under the same regs. YES, I realize that some of this brass is state side. But Keith P at FCSA is a bit of an oracle on .50 cal stuff and I would take his word on it. Not saying it can't be done, just offering some words of advice.

Marty ter Weeme
Teppo Jutsu LLC
Home of the .458 SOCOM
www.teppojutsu.com

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn good advice.

I have a US .60 round in my collection that I bought from Keith P. Small world, eh?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send the Brass cases to me Big Grin

NO restrictions on 14.5 in Canada.

one of us
posted Hide Post
LDO -

I realize your in Stan right now but when you get back State side, we're just north of Houston (Conroe), when you get a chance stop by, buy you a cold one (or two) as thanks for your service. beer

Besides, I might know where there might be a source of 12.7 x 108 brass Wink

I've been wanting more info on the .60, Keith gave me what he had but wanted to know whether projos can still be found. In light of scarcity, settled for going 20mm route ...

Marty ter Weeme
Teppo Jutsu LLC
Home of the .458 SOCOM
www.teppojutsu.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MartytW:
LDO -

I realize your in Stan right now but when you get back State side, we're just north of Houston (Conroe), when you get a chance stop by, buy you a cold one (or two) as thanks for your service. beer

Besides, I might know where there might be a source of 12.7 x 108 brass Wink

I've been wanting more info on the .60, Keith gave me what he had but wanted to know whether projos can still be found. In light of scarcity, settled for going 20mm route ...

Free beer? I'm there!

A source for 12.7x108? Shit homie, the beer is on me!

No joke. I go on leave in October. I'd love to sit down and talk shop. Let's try to get together in a few weeks. Know of a good brewpub? If not, we can hit Rick's Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger that. Rick's is not a good idea, ex-fling works there .... Excellent brew pub in Clear Lake (NASA rocket jock watering hole) but think there are a few this side of Houston as well, need to do some recce. Will give details in the PM you sent

Marty ter Weeme
Teppo Jutsu LLC
Home of the .458 SOCOM
www.teppojutsu.com