New
Find
Notify
Tools

What jacket length for 44 bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is everyones favorite jacket length for making 44-240's, 44-250's or any other 44 bullet. Please share your secret formula for the 44 caliber swaged bullet.
Joe

Posts: 208 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Cullison:
What is everyones favorite jacket length for making 44-240's, 44-250's or any other 44 bullet. Please share your secret formula for the 44 caliber swaged bullet.
Joe

Joe..

I dont shoot .429 bullet but i do swage alot of .458 bullets.

If your really looking to get some insite in to what willl work for your 44 cal .429 diameter
bullets then contact

Butch ---> harrell.hairfield@ps.ge.com

Butch can tell you and he even has a litte chart he will send you so all you have to do is look up what bullet weight you want to swage and it will tell you the right jacket wall length and jacket wall thickness to use.

Martin

Joe if you get a day off and dont mind the drive ...

shoot over the hill and down to Coos Bay
bring your swage die set and jackets
will bond up a storm.

PM me if you would like for a home phone .

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Martin, perhaps I'm asking the wrong question.

IF someone wanted to buy some 44 caliber jackets for swaging in a .015 wall thickness, WHAT length of jacket would everyone want? .600? .650? .700?

Please let me know, what are the popular jacket lengths for a 44 caliber bullet?

Thanks
Joe

Posts: 208 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe:

I don't load for handgun cartridges, so I can't give you specific numbers. When making my rifle bullets, I find that I have to develop my bullet weights through trial and error.

One thing that may help give you a starting point would be to measure the jacket of a commercial bullet of the same diameter, shape and weight. I've found that there is little change in jacket length after the swaging process, and I believe, most commercial jackets are about .015 in thickness.

Hunting is Exciting! Bolt Actions are BORING!
Don't Mix the Two!

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote