New
Find
Notify
Tools

The heavier .224 bullets....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Living as I do in South Africa one is very much at the mercy of the importers - we do not have a "custom" bullet manufacturer in this country.

I shoot a 1:10 twist 22-250 in which I have always shot the 68 or 69gr offerings from Hornady and Sierra. They shoot well and up to this point there were always a couple of boxes on the dealer's shelves - I used to buy them up wherever I saw them. Now with our weakening currency the dealers are not keen to stock slow moving items as there is very little demand for this weight of bullet.

So I am getting to the idea of making my own 69gr BTHP bullets, and maybe going up to the 75gr as I have a 1:9 twist barrel waiting in the wings.

Looking through the Corbins website it certainly is a possibility.

Anyone on this board making these type of bullets with any success? What equipment (dies) are necessary?

Thanks

If Chuck Norris dives into a swimming pool, he does not get wet. The swimming pool gets Chuck Norris.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Paladin 56
posted Hide Post
Pete,

I have Corbins CSP-1 press and dies to make rebated boattail ULD .224 bullets. With the set of dies I have, I can make any weight bullet from 40 grain, to whatever, FB or BT, SP or HP. Jacket length dictates how heavy a bullet you can make. I have to draw .243 jackets down to make 100 grain and heavier for special purpose bullets, which requires another set of dies.

The bullets work great and once you get set up, you can make them fairly quickly. If you get into anything over 75 grains, the work becomes more tedious for various reasons and slows things down a bit.

If you want more details, send me a pm.

David

DRSS member

Do what you can with what you've got where you are. TR

Posts: 82 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 17 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are two Cobins, Dave [corbins.com] and his brother Richard [rceco.com] and they both make bullet swaging equipment. Both have web sites and they do not quite agree. Not unusual for brothers. You would do well to study with both. Each has book(s) or parts there of on web site for your use free. (No pictures... awww).

There is a directory of bullet swaging suppliers in the back of Gun Digest Annuals. Mr. Blackmon, Louisiana is well thought of. Never have seen the Nemeis there thought.

AND Dr. Dave Corbin has a directory of bullet makers (who use his equipment and probably pay to be listed) on his site swage.com... None in South Africa?? I thought there was, but ?? Doesn't cost you anything to look.

Dave has expressed the opinion that the boat tail is wasted on bullets 6mm and less... And both brothers state that you can make .224's with a stout reloading press... RCBS (old) Rockchucker for instance. [RCBS stands for Rock Chucker Bullet Swage (s) where Mr. Huntington got the start for big green. You used the swages to make varmint bullets out of fired rimfire cases...] luck.

posted Hide Post
What about GS Custom Bullets? They are located in South Africa, here is their web address: gscustom.co.za They also make copper bullets with driving bands and have tested their hunting bullets in a .22-.270 wildcat with excellent results.

Best Regards

Posts: 24 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, those bullets are available but the sticker shock is something else!!! =8O

If Chuck Norris dives into a swimming pool, he does not get wet. The swimming pool gets Chuck Norris.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote