New
Find
Notify
Tools

50-110 reloading
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,
I am looking for some one that makes Fmj(heavy jacket) flat points for a 50-110 lever gun. Would like a canalure,tube magazine thing, 500gr to 550gr. Appreciate any help.
Thanks
John
Bronco72@inreach.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is your 50-110 a origonal one? If so the twist is for a 300 gr. bullet. SLW

Posts: 59 | Location: 15758 Butte Mt. Rd. Jackson CA. 95642 | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No! It's a Browning M71, will shoot 547grgc great.
John

one of us
posted Hide Post
Belt Mountain makes a Punch Bullet in .510, think it weighs about 470gr. Lil pricey thou.
http://www.beltmountain.com/punch.htm

I thought I heard/read, at one time Alaska Bullet Works, (Kodiak Bullets) made some flat point FMJ's.

Also, dunno if Bridger offers anything, or he maybe able to make some, doesn't hurt to ask.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Help me out. I'm just wondering what your target would be.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He wants [Full Metal Jacket] How about an engine block ? N.S.Sherlock I don't know of any states that allow FMJ ammo for hunting any type of game .

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
It must be a noobie thing.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
ask martin potts p.a. bullets...

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Howdy
I am thinking of going to Africa with my lever gun and want some fmj on things that might leave a little doubt with a shoulder shot with a 547grgc hard cast. Been shooting 48 years, hunting for 42,reloading for 40, and would be a noobie to Africa.
John
PS
Forgot to say I ain't mad at a 132 year old cartridge(45-70), but I am kind of fond of the 50-110 and I thinks it's over a hundred.
John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bronco, who did your 71? I have a real Winchester that I am thinking about converting. Turnbull advertises this conversion and his work sure looks good. How is your forend hung on the bbl.? The original dovetail is pretty fragile and I know Ackley used to add a barrel band on his .450's.
C.G.B.

posted Hide Post
C.G.B., Turnbull did the work, have nothing but praise of them and their work. The forend cap is attached by a screws on each side to a dovetail mount set in the barrel. Have shot around 800 rounds thru it and the forend is still firmly attached.
John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bronco, You shoot a 547gr. hard cast lead bullet in your 50-110. Who made the mould, are you happy with the bullet? What velocities do you load it to? I am presently having a .512 barrel made and it will go on a Browning 71 or an 1886. Just picked up some brass for the 50Alaskan and the 50-110, but I like the bigger case.

Vasa

Posts: 78 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Vasa,
I have a 1 in 28 twist barrel 32" long. It likes the 510 grgc and the 547grgc a lot better than the 358grgc. The reason the weights are a little wierd is that I ordered molds for Lyman #2 alloy from LBT for a 500 and a 525grs (LFN) but came onto a source for free wheel weights, which I water drop. I am real happy with the molds and the bullet design. That might explain the weight difference, but that is what they weigh lubed and ready to reload. With the 547 I am getting about 2000fps using 4064, with the 510 I am getting about 2100fps using 4895, but with this load I will back down a little be cause after several reloads the brass starts to not hold the primers as tightly. No problem with the 4064. For that weight (500-547) bullet in the 50-110 I would start your load development with powders that are between 4895 and 4064. With a bullet around 350gr, start with something around 4895. Found the greatest accuracy was where the powder was touching the base of the bullet and found that magnum primers gave a lower standard deviation in the velocity. Interestingly, the mag. primers didn't alway give a higher vel.
Good Luck,
John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I believe the original twist for the .50-110 was something like 1:50. Is the 1:28 fast enough for 500-550 gr. bullets?
Got to save my pennies, this sounds like fun.
C.G.B.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
Thanks for the info. I believe the original twist for the .50-110 was something like 1:50. Is the 1:28 fast enough for 500-550 gr. bullets?
Got to save my pennies, this sounds like fun.
C.G.B.

Been getting great accuracy for what it is, five shot, 4" groups at 150yds.
John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bronco,
Thanks for the info. My barrel will have a 1:18 twist, hope it will shoot with a 500-550 FNGC lead bullet. The reason for this twist is that it is what the barrelmaker is tooled up for - it is hard to get 50 barrels up here and wait time/permits for a barrel from the US makes it unattractive.
I have had good luck with products from Mountain Mold of Idaho. They made me a 540gr.WFNGC mould for a 45-70. I might get them to make me a .512 mould.
The 50-110 cartidge is a rare one, at least up here, and reamers are non-exsistant, I might have to get my own. There are a couple of gunsmiths here with 50 Alaskan reamers but it is 0.3" shorter.
The Leverguns forum had some postings on the suitability of the 71 vs. 1886 for this conversion. Many 50s have been made on both. Does somebody have a list of the action modifications for making a 71/1886 into a 50-110 ? The Winchester factory made them on a semi-custom basis 100 years ago.

Vasa

Posts: 78 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey Vasa,
Don't know what modification to the action they do. On your mold, however, you might do a little research about what diameter you want. My barrel is .510. I cast .512 and size and lube to .511. The harder cast alloys won't bump up to bore Dia. and you might want to shoot .001 or ,002 over bore dia. Some cast bullet info. can be had here in the cast bullet discussions.
Good Luck
John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bronco72 How about the full reloading info Please ! Vasa Contact Green Mountain They sell a 50 cal for the 1886 1in 24 twist ,Reamers are sold at Brownells for that caliber , I ordered one from them, Manson reamers .

posted Hide Post
Concho,
My barrel is from Montana Barrels, bore is .510, twist is 1 in 28, length 32". The only jacketed bullets for the 50-110, that I know of, are .510. So if you ever think you might shoot jacketed bullets or solids, Vasa, think hard about a barrel with a .510 Dia. For load data, with the 510grgc and 547grgc I'd start load development at 65 or 70 gr of either 4895 or 4064. Increase loads slowly (2.5grs) until you want to stop.
Standard Disclaimer here.
Every gun is different, reacts differently to like charges.
My rifle, however, with the 510grgc the brass started to have loose primer pockets after two reloadings with 77.5grs of 4895, vel. 2120. So I backed off from there, down to 75grs ,vel. around 2060, depending on the crono. With the 510gr, a 77.5grs of 4064, vel. around 1964 and no pressure problems(very accurate) No pressure problems with 77.5gr of 4064, with the 547gr, but it is such a compressed load that, with reloading, the bullet sometimes springs back up a little, longer bullet less room for powder. 75grs is better and velocity is around 1940 to 2000 (very accurate), depending on the crono. If I can get five shots in a 4" group at 150yds, with iron sites,it's good
After thought.
I have these powder on hand so that is why I wanted to use them and see what I could do with'em. I did notice that accuracy started to get good when the powder was starting to touch the base of the bullet, with the heavier bullets anyway. Powders slower the 4064 will give slower velocities with 100% load density, which I am starting to learn this is important with straight walled rifle cases, That's just my opinion!

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bronco72 I got Barns 450gr JFN from Midway , and From Castperformance 525 Gr WFNGC to load mine , I have not put the rifle together as of this posting Reamer is not here yet from Brownells , I loader some with IMR3031 65 grns 450 gr Barnes ! I was going to use Hodgton Triple 7 loaded .100 crush and Fed 215 primers for the cast performance GC bullets .

posted Hide Post
Hey,
When you guys get your rifles together, drop me a line and let me know how's it going.
John
Bronco72@inreach.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
John, did you ever find any FMJ's??

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for everyones imfo woodleigh now make a 50-110 bullet it's jacketed soft and weighs 500 gr.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, I found some here and have them loaded for bears next month. So far so good for accuracy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Al,

what powder are you using for the 500 gr woodleigh's I have been using Varget but I reckon it's a tad slow as I see abit of un-burnt powder I use 73 gr of Varget behind the 500 gr woodleigh soft.

Will be keen to here how your woodliegh's work.

Make sure you send Geoff McDonald (owner of woodleigh bullets) an e-mail of you results.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Al,
I found a someone named Steve that I am talking to, will post if I get any from him. So far I have picked a number and am standing in line.
John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i now have .510 dia 400 to 550 gr cup tip ,flat tip and hp bullets.
www.copperheadcustomswaging.com

Posts: 82 | Location: az | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote